Anthem

ORDguy

On Friday, I'm leaving on my first RCI cruise in about five years--Anthem from Bayonne. We're Emerald, but it's been awhile.

Quick question: What are some of the first things we need to do once on-board? Should we sign up for the iFly and North Star? Do we/can we sign up for times at the very beginning for the flowrider? Other things we need to sign up for/do right away (other than going to the main dining room to make sure we've got a decent table)?

Any tips on good places for the sail-away? Any other first-day tips are greatly appreciated. One last question: What time does boarding begin in Bayonne for Anthem. Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Edited by Host Carolyn

The biggest problem we had on the first day was getting to a good spot for the sail away after the muster drill.  Everyone will be going up in all the elevators, it was the only time we really minded the crowds since we avoided the retail area during sales.  You might want to take the stairs to the upper decks after muster.

When you get on board find a Kiosk to sign up for  iFly and North Star.

Chances are it will be raining on Friday.  Head forward to the indoor Solarium located at the bow of the ship for Sail-Away to avoid going outdoors and possibly avoid crowds - take the elevator down to go up to Deck 13 (if you are not already there) to bypass overly crowded elevators.   Walk forward on Deck 13 to a door with a sign that says Solarium.  You will find yourself on the lower level of the Solarium. The Solarium will be very warm. 

If you have a smart phone, sign up for Royal IQ before the ship leaves port.   You can get deck plans and daily schedule for free.  If you pay 7.95 you can connect and text to the people that you are traveling who have payed for the plan.

One of the bad things about the Solarium for Sail-Away  is taking pictures through glass.  If the weather is calm for a moment while you are in the Solarium, walk up the stairs in the Solarium to the upper level of the Solarium (Deck 14) and walk toward the front of the room.  There are Bridge Wings (balconies) located on either side of the ship.  There is no overhead covering.  You  are shielded somewhat from the elements by glass walls with slots between them.  You should be able to take a picture through the slots.

Another option for a rainy Sail-Away is 270 located aft (stern of the ship).  There should be a band.  Both the Solarium and 270 have bars.  Both locations have expansive windows.

Edited by Sanz
  • Like 1

Was on anthem in nov, head straight to 270. There will be podiums set up there to make reservations for north star, i fly, escape room. 

On embarktion day i believe the north star is open, first come first serve. 

Get all your outside pics, ny skyline before muster. Right after muster the ship sails. 

We headed straight back to 270 after muster (our muster was on this deck)   There the ship band will be playing, the bar will be open, and you get incredible views. All while being warm and dry 😁

20181110_153004.jpg

• Like 1

Unless the weather is really bad, I'd suggest popping outside on an upper deck for just a few minutes to watch the ship go under the Verrazzano-Narrows bridge. The top of the ship just barely clears it and on our sailing, smoke from the stack pretty much enveloped the bridge - which must have been quite a surprise to the drivers passing by at that moment!

We also had great luck booking Ifly and NorthStar by using the app as soon as we were able to get on the ship's wifi. Very simple, lots of times available and no waiting in line. I'd also suggest booking times near the beginning of the trip in case weather causes cancellation later on as it did on our trip when we hit some wind on the way back to Bayonne which caused them to cancel all the ifly and NorthStar reservations for a day.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Typically 1pm to 1:30pm.

On our cruise in Nov. Several of us were waiting on our floor for the doors to open. A young woman, in her late twenties, who was very much into herself pushed through all of us waiting and gets to the closed door. Then she goes to the other side and does the same thing. She then very loudly asks the man with. Well where are the rooms, I don't see them. We all let out a collective sigh and shook our heads. 

20 hours ago, ORDguy said:

On Friday, I'm leaving on my first RCI cruise in about five years--Anthem from Bayonne. We're Emerald, but it's been awhile.

Quick question: What are some of the first things we need to do once on-board? Should we sign up for the iFly and North Star? Do we/can we sign up for times at the very beginning for the flowrider? Other things we need to sign up for/do right away (other than going to the main dining room to make sure we've got a decent table)?

Any tips on good places for the sail-away? Any other first-day tips are greatly appreciated. One last question: What time does boarding begin in Bayonne for Anthem. Sorry for all the stupid questions.

iFly and Northstar were available in cruise planner for pre-cruise bookings, so there will be limited availability on embarkation day. Both will sell out quickly. 

We always get to the port by 10:15 to help get through security and check-in. It will go faster if you completed your check-in online. It will be a quick scan of your passport by the iPad people and you will be shown to first-come-first-board seating. 

From our balcony:

image.png.9011bb0a511f3c9ad11d11e7e181d2e2.png

image.png.63497ea6e6362a05732818e828688efe.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had no problem at all booking North Star as soon as we got on board using the app. Tons of times available for multiple days. Also, while we didn't go this route, I think it's also pretty easy to do standby. (North Star is conveniently located next to the North Star Bar so you'll have something to do if you need to wait for a space to open up!)

On 1/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, dam64 said:

we tried booking ahead of time for North star and its already sold out! I really hope we can book it once onboard.

You should be able to. Often times, people will book it and not show up. Just get on line and after the people with reservations get on board, they'll let you on if there is space.

Port days are the best time. Most people are off the ship and you'll have something else to look at other than empty ocean.

Edited by HBE4

Hi Everyone!  I will be booking in the next week or so!  Greetings from Western North Carolina!

My name is  Cathy ( Will be 46 the day before the cruise) and my hubby David( He will be 49 a few weeks after the cruise).  Our 25th Wedding anniversary is this year in June so I thought I would treat us to a parents only vacation!  We have 2 boys - 20 and almost 18.  Hubby and both boys are Eagles scouts  - story behind my user name. 

We will get our Emerald status on the ship. 

We have been on Mariner, Freedom, Oasis ( With the kids) and Liberty.  I picked this cruise due to the better quality music.   Were were thinking of the Runaway to Paradise cruise with Bon Jovi and Collective soul but its way out of our price range.  

Looking forward to meeting everyone!  I will sign up for the meet and mingle after I finish the reservations.  My Passport expires while on the ship so I hope I can get it renewed in time.   

Edited by 3eaglesfam

7 minutes ago, 3eaglesfam said:

Hi Everyone!  I will be booking in the next week or so!  Greetings from Western North Carolina!

My name is  Cathy ( Will be 46 the day before the cruise) and my hubby David( He will be 49 a few weeks after the cruise).  Our 25th Wedding anniversary is this year in June so I thought I would treat us to a parents only vacation!  We have 2 boys - 20 and almost 18.  Hubby and both boys are Eagles scouts  - story behind my user name. 

We will get our Emerald status on the ship. 

We have been on Mariner, Freedom, Oasis ( With the kids) and Liberty.  I picked this cruise due to the better quality music.   Were were thinking of the Runaway to Paradise cruise with Bon Jovi and Collective soul but its way out of our price range.  

Looking forward to meeting everyone!  I will sign up for the meet and mingle after I finish the reservations.  My Passport expires while on the ship so I hope I can get it renewed in time.   

When are you sailing?  You may want to look for your roll call and meet some of the folks on your specific cruise:-)