Port Lincoln, SA

Oooh, pick me, pick me for this one!

Are you joining us on the 6th or the 27th of January? I love it when cruise ships pull into my hometown!

If you are into seafood, there are lots of options, Café Del Giorno on Tasman Tce never lets you down, I'm fairly sure one of the processing factories does tours accompanied by seafood meals and Coffin Bay is only 30mins away by car, with it's world renowned oysters.

If you are keen to hire a car, the surf beaches are an easy 20 - 30 min drive, along with Whaler's Way which gives some breathtaking clifftop views (although I must admit to enjoying that most in winter with massive seas crashing!). The areas offered on your shore tours are all an easy drive within an hour of town.

The shuttle will drop you virtually next to the statue of Makybe Diva, there are plenty of shops, usually a few markets and pubs with outdoor eating areas along the foreshore. If you are keen for a bigger walk, there is a walking trail which will take you around to the Axel Stenross Maritime Museum via scenic clifftops along the front of the town. There are beautiful beaches along the front of town, just be aware there are some issue with razor fish in front of the yacht club at the moment, further down the beach close to the jetty is safer without reef shoes.

If you are joining us on the 27th, it is in the middle of our Tunarama Festival so there will be rides, stalls and pop up food options the entire length of the lawn area, as well as many activities during the day.

Adventure Bay Charters may be worth a google to see if they are offering Swim with the Tuna or Sealions opportunities on the date you are there.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know!

Cheers, Anne

• Like 1

Thank you. We are there on the 6th.  So is there an independent shuttle from the port into town?

Didnt know about the Makybe Diva statue so that is now on our list.

As we have left it so late to book anything we were thinking the 1.5hour ships tour of just a drive around town. This is $60 each.  Is there anything offered independently at the port?

There is a City Loop bus service (like a hop on hop off) that goes to various places around town. Cost I think is $40 each ($35 for concession). Book at the visitor centre (try get there early, it was very popular when I was there last month). From memory it goes to the Lincoln Cove Marina (where most of the fishing boats are), Winter Hill lookout, Axel Stenross Maritime Museum and a couple of special places to eat (and/or drink).

We had a free shuttle from the wharf into town (or you can walk - probably 20 mins or so).

- View from docked ship towards town (town centre on the right)

- View from Winter Hill over Port Lincoln and our ship

- View towards ship from Port Lincoln waterfront

RX006705.JPG

RX006764.JPG

RX006802.JPG

Edited by boeckli

Everybody I spoke to on the ship thoroughly enjoyed Port Lincoln. The locals are very friendly and helpful and there is a great band of volunteers that make sure cruise ship visitors have the best experience possible. As you can see from my photos, we had perfect weather, which of course helped as well.

Just found the flyer with the more detailed bus info on it:

Port Lincoln Loop Bus.JPG

On 12/24/2018 at 10:00 PM, LincolnLegend said:

Oooh, pick me, pick me for this one!

Are you joining us on the 6th or the 27th of January? I love it when cruise ships pull into my hometown!

If you are into seafood, there are lots of options, Café Del Giorno on Tasman Tce never lets you down, I'm fairly sure one of the processing factories does tours accompanied by seafood meals and Coffin Bay is only 30mins away by car, with it's world renowned oysters.

If you are keen to hire a car, the surf beaches are an easy 20 - 30 min drive, along with Whaler's Way which gives some breathtaking clifftop views (although I must admit to enjoying that most in winter with massive seas crashing!). The areas offered on your shore tours are all an easy drive within an hour of town.

The shuttle will drop you virtually next to the statue of Makybe Diva, there are plenty of shops, usually a few markets and pubs with outdoor eating areas along the foreshore. If you are keen for a bigger walk, there is a walking trail which will take you around to the Axel Stenross Maritime Museum via scenic clifftops along the front of the town. There are beautiful beaches along the front of town, just be aware there are some issue with razor fish in front of the yacht club at the moment, further down the beach close to the jetty is safer without reef shoes.

If you are joining us on the 27th, it is in the middle of our Tunarama Festival so there will be rides, stalls and pop up food options the entire length of the lawn area, as well as many activities during the day.

Adventure Bay Charters may be worth a google to see if they are offering Swim with the Tuna or Sealions opportunities on the date you are there.

Cheers, Anne

Thank you.

Hi RosieG30,

Guessing you are enjoying cruise ship life by now!

Looks like we are going to turn on a great day weatherwise for you, the HOHO city loop looks like a great option, there will be some markets set up on the foreshore as well.

I'd offer to meet up for a drink but I'm stuck on dayshift on Sunday, here's hoping you hoping you have a fabulous day in our beautiful town!

On 12/24/2018 at 10:00 PM, LincolnLegend said:

Cheers, Anne

Hi Anne, 

Is there a particular place at coffin Bay that you could recommend for oysters/lunch.

Thanks. 

There's a restaurant by the name of 1802 in Coffin Bay that I would highly recommend.

We were there on New Years Day, they were only serving snacks at the time we were there, but they were all amazing! 

Mind you, even the pub put on a great meal last time I was there so you really can't go wrong! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LincolnLegend said:

There's a restaurant by the name of 1802 in Coffin Bay that I would highly recommend.

We were there on New Years Day, they were only serving snacks at the time we were there, but they were all amazing! 

Mind you, even the pub put on a great meal last time I was there so you really can't go wrong! 

Thank you . Will let you know how we go 🙂

Just an update from our day in Port Lincoln. We had a fantastic day and can’t wait to come back and explore more. We took it easy and didn’t do a lot but for other who may be interested we walked from the ship into town (about 15 minutes) and enjoyed the markets that were set up. The stalls were well stocked with varied products and were doing a roaring trade as were the shops along the waterfront. There were a couple of really good clothes and shoe shops that I personally enjoyed whilst my husband waited on the park bench admiring the Matthew Flinders statue.

We admired the Makybe Diva statue and then strolled back to the ship. 

The weather was spectacular & the atmosphere was fantastics including the brass band greeting us on the pier and the acrobatic plane. 

Everyone we spoke to had a great day and also said they would return. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, LincolnLegend said:

Thank you so much for your recommendation. We went last Wednesday to 1802 and absolutely loved it.