Roll Calls

bboop51

Has roll call participation become passe ?   We sailed on the Summit four times and all four times we have great Roll Calls. The last on (April/May 2018) we had a Sail-Away with over 70 people, a well attended  poker run and slot pull.  The year before group activities were planned pre-cruise that worked out fabulously and there was also a fabulous Sail-Away. 

This year we are going the same time as last year. There are nine people signed up and no activity. I've looked at some of the other roll calls and they don't seem to have many more participants.

I always thought the roll call was a nice warm up for cruise. I was curious what happened over the last year.

I'm with you. We are back to Celebrity after almost twenty years and I was looking forward to a 'Celebrity' roll call. We sail in a week and we only have 20 members, and they are not very active. We supposedly hit the benchmark for a meet and mingle, we shall see how that goes.

I haven’t found celebrity’s meet and mingles to be all that great.  Coffee and stale pastries aren’t a big draw and without name tags, it is especially difficult to connect with those you’ve been communicating with.  

Recently, m&m was scheduled the first night and right before sail away in San Juan.  I think 8 of us showed up.  Now they did offer Elite type pre-poured cocktails but even the bar wasn’t open.  The next segment, it was scheduled for 8:30pm the second night.  I heard not many showed up for that either as notices went out late.

I think roll calls and meet and mingle get-togethers depend entirely upon those on the particular cruise.

Last Sept/Oct NE/Canada cruise on the Summit, the roll call was very active particularly for sharing excursion ideas and looking for others to join private tours.The slot pull, organized through the roll call had the largest number of participants I've ever taken part in. This is the aspect of roll calls that I like the best: private tours and activities planned. The meet and mingle had a very large turn out but after several officers spoke, the whole gathering just broke up.

On the other hand, the roll call for the Viking Sea cruise last January had minimal input but the ship crew went out of their way to make the meet and mingle successful. Everyone attending was greeted at the door by the captain and other officers, a large spread of snacks was present and the CD invited everyone to introduce themselves. I've never seen this type of crew involvement on the seven Celebrity cruises I've taken so far.

The Reflection roll call for my upcoming February cruise is fairly active with a sharing of tour ideas but no activities (cabin crawl, slot pull) have been even suggested. Perhaps after many cruises, most fellow cruise mates are just not interested anymore - "been there, done that."

34 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

I think roll calls and meet and mingle get-togethers depend entirely upon those on the particular cruise.

Last Sept/Oct NE/Canada cruise on the Summit, the roll call was very active particularly for sharing excursion ideas and looking for others to join private tours.The slot pull, organized through the roll call had the largest number of participants I've ever taken part in. This is the aspect of roll calls that I like the best: private tours and activities planned. The meet and mingle had a very large turn out but after several officers spoke, the whole gathering just broke up.

On the other hand, the roll call for the Viking Sea cruise last January had minimal input but the ship crew went out of their way to make the meet and mingle successful. Everyone attending was greeted at the door by the captain and other officers, a large spread of snacks was present and the CD invited everyone to introduce themselves. I've never seen this type of crew involvement on the seven Celebrity cruises I've taken so far.

The Reflection roll call for my upcoming February cruise is fairly active with a sharing of tour ideas but no activities (cabin crawl, slot pull) have been even suggested. Perhaps after many cruises, most fellow cruise mates are just not interested anymore - "been there, done that."

Your Last Sept/Oct  was a similar experience to our last Summit (to Bermuda.)   I guess I just can't fathom how a year would make such a difference.  Even the nine who are signed up for our roll call don't really post. But is what it is.

54 minutes ago, PRH said:

I haven’t found celebrity’s meet and mingles to be all that great.  Coffee and stale pastries aren’t a big draw and without name tags, it is especially difficult to connect with those you’ve been communicating with.  

Recently, m&m was scheduled the first night and right before sail away in San Juan.  I think 8 of us showed up.  Now they did offer Elite type pre-poured cocktails but even the bar wasn’t open.  The next segment, it was scheduled for 8:30pm the second night.  I heard not many showed up for that either as notices went out late.

I am less bothered with the M & Ms than the roll call activities, especially a nice  sail away.  I'll be stunned if we reach 25 for a M & M. The coffee and stale pasties are a hoot since we get good "free" pastries at El Bacio and coffee any time of the day at the OV.

I think this site revamp has really damaged the roll call part. The roll call for my next Celebrity cruise has been virtually as dead as a dodo. I feel the roll call is harder to find and on having to open 3 pages a pain to get to! This is such  a shame as I have organised quite a few now with sail-aways and on my last cruise a cabin crawl which those taking part in loved and a poker run. As I always made name badges it means people get to meet up at the sail away and most then go to the meet and mingle. In fact contact on here has helped fill the ship's Meet and Mingle for those who didn't make the sail away that has helped them meet up. 

Can this site get a better roll call site please..... 

Edited by HelenREMfan
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, HelenREMfan said:

I think this site revamp has really damaged the roll call part. The roll call for my next Celebrity cruise has been virtually as dead as a dodo. I feel the roll call is harder to find and on having to open 3 pages a pain to get to! This is such  a shame as I have organised quite a few now with sail-aways and on my last cruise a cabin crawl which those taking part in loved and a poker run. As I always made name badges it means people get to meet up at the sail away and most then go to the meet and mingle. In fact contact on here has helped fill the ship's Meet and Mingle for those who didn't make the sail away that has helped them meet up. 

I too have been a sail away organizer - yes name tags, beads etc.  I have not had any problem finding the roll call, but I'm not new to this. I guess maybe others don't want to put  the effort.  Last year the Celebrity website was a total bust and signing up for the M & M was a disaster, but people still persisted and there was large turn out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HelenREMfan said:

34 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

and on having to open 3 pages a pain to get to!

AGREE.  I can never get to the newest post on my Roll Call.

34 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

We have 4 cruises booked for 2019 and 2 of those have active Roll Calls, the 3rd a moderately active Roll Call and the 4th is on the Summit and it is dead.  I think the change in Cruise Critic has impacted the participation as people cant find the Roll Calls easily and more people than I recall from past years are posting in the wrong places.  Lots of general questions are posted among the Roll Calls and the reverse.

The least valuable part of the Roll Call for us are the Meet & Mingles and we rarely attend.  We find the Roll Call the best way to join forces with other for private tours, and sea day activities.  We limit our social media involvement and do not use fb; like others mentions I would not want friends, acquaintances, old classmates, etc  to know we are away and when we will return.

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have 4 cruises booked for 2019 and 2 of those have active Roll Calls, the 3rd a moderately active Roll Call and the 4th is on the Summit and it is dead.  I think the change in Cruise Critic has impacted the participation as people cant find the Roll Calls easily and more people than I recall from past years are posting in the wrong places.  Lots of general questions are posted among the Roll Calls and the reverse.

The least valuable part of the Roll Call for us are the Meet & Mingles and we rarely attend.  We find the Roll Call the best way to join forces with other for private tours, and sea day activities.  We limit our social media involvement and do not use fb; like others mentions I would not want friends, acquaintances, old classmates, etc  to know we are away and when we will return.

We also try to limit our social media announcements of when we will be away (try is the operative word.)  Like I said before, we also don't leave an empty house.  We are going to Bermuda and were hoping to find some like minded cruisers on the roll call that would be interested sharing a Boston Whaler with us. We did this two cruises ago (with two other couples from the roll call) and had a blast. 

2 hours ago, PRH said:

Viking Ocean really goes the distance!  We had outstanding m&m onboard.  Returning to Celebrity m&m where not even a lot of enthusiasm from the crew—not sure it is worth it.

Agree.  Took our first Viking sailing in October on the Star and were blown away with how welcoming they are.  All senior officers attended M&M and they provided live music, cocktails and hot apps.    

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Agree.  Took our first Viking sailing in October on the Star and were blown away with how welcoming they are.  All senior officers attended M&M and they provided live music, cocktails and hot apps.    

Indeed, as mentioned before, Viking officers and crew go all out for meet and mingles and want to know from everyone attending how they are enjoying the ship/cruise and if they have any suggestions/concerns. Celebrity officers/crew seem more interested in how quickly they can leave.

Edited by PROCRUISE

36 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

15 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

Indeed, as mentioned before, Viking officers and crew go all out for meet and mingles and want to know from everyone attending how they are enjoying the ship/cruise and if they have any suggestions/concerns. Celebrity officers/crew seem more interested in how quickly they can leave.

Could that be partly because this is all still new to Viking? They certainly don't do anything like that on their river cruises but there are very few Cruise Critic members on those small ship cruises. Personally, I'm over the multiple roll call events. I like the Meet & Mingle and we always register and I'm always active on the roll call but some days I'd like to just sit back with my book and chill but I feel I have to go to the slot pull, lunch, cabin crawl, whatever. I've also been on some roll calls where a few people feel the need to dominate the conversation and activities. Like others, I find the best benefit is the opportunity to participate in private tours, especially in Europe. But I have a few pet peeves there . . . oh, don't get me started.

Twice recently, we have not received an invitation even though we were registered.  I think Celebrity is becoming indifferent to this gathering.  I also think the screen names should be on the tags, as that is how we know each other.  People can add their given names if they desire.

I think that it all depends on who is on your cruise. I have been on cruises with very active roll calls and have met alot great people. You just have to have the right couple of people to get things moving, a good organized roll call can make for a good time later on a cruise.

We are currently active in two major roll calls (Ireland Iceland 6/19 and Mardi Gras 2/20--both on Reflection) and have just finished another on Summit to New England in October at  that had more than 140 active participants. The two current roll calls have more than 110 people for Iceland and 26 for Mardi Gras. 

We have done almost 20 cruises on X and all of them that weren't going to Alaska (6 of them) have had great roll calls. In fact I can state that we have met just about every great friend we have on one of our Cruise Critic roll calls. I think participation is just a matter of who is taking that cruise. We have never had a big participation on any of our Alaska roll calls. I truly believe that this is because there are so many new cruisers going to Alaska. They have no idea that there is even a Cruise Critic. 

Hope yours improves.

Jim

PS: Just checked out your roll call for your May 5th cruise. Half the problem is that the title doesn't say where you are going. Is this a Caribbean cruise? Then I'm not surprised that there is so little participation. They rank just above Alaska cruises when it comes to roll call participation. My experience is that the longer and more exotic the cruise (British Isles, Iceland, Mardi Gras, SE Asia, etc.) the more people are looking to share shore excursions and that promotes roll call participation.

Edited by DrKoob
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Not sure thatCelebrity is putting much into them, last couple we had it seemed like the CD and crew were doing a favor to us by being there. Last one that we had that was fun was when Kate was on the Summit.

Hi Don! On Summit in October (New England) we had a bunch of crew (including the CD) show up. They seemed happy to be there. 

Jim

9 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Hi Don! On Summit in October (New England) we had a bunch of crew (including the CD) show up. They seemed happy to be there. 

Jim

Hi Jim:

I guess like so many things it's ship dependent, we've had great ones but the last one we had was really weird.