SetSail Pass

An example of two set sail passes for same voyage.  The older one was printed in October, the newer one last night.

I like the new ones.  Look like airline boarding pass.  

20190103_223930.jpg

20190103_223902.jpg

Is G03 the Aqua Theater?

Edited by John&LaLa

On 1/2/2019 at 8:39 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yup.

It does seem that the "old way" of providing you with the Seapass card in the port terminal is the ideal method, but this allows for mass production of the cards and distributed delivery. The day will come when the card is replaced with a fully-digital solution, such as a phone "card"...with plastic being a "as needed" choice.

Still...you're right about there not needing to be much concern at this point.

Disney is already doing the phone app to open your room door at their Disney World owned hotels

• Like 1

on the Symphony last month, quickest boarding ever.  The sea pass cards were at the door.  The envelope had our names and of course the card itself has names on it.  I always look at mine so if the name were wrong I would certainly know it.  Also the card is no longer inserted into the door lock.  You just press it on the lock.  However the  power switch has to have some kind of card inserted to allow lights to go on.  It doesn't have to be the sea pass, or even a credit card.  I found a business card worked just fine.  Just remember to remove it when you leave the stateroom so the lights do not remain on.

I expect the same system next month on Harmony.

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

An example of two set sail passes for same voyage.  The older one was printed in October, the newer one last night.

I like the new ones.  Look like airline boarding pass.  

20190103_223930.jpg

20190103_223902.jpg

Is G03 the Aqua Theater?

Yes, it is in the Aqua Theater as long as it isn't raining or there aren't thunder storms on the way.  Otherwise, they move G1 through G4 to the Schooner Bar,  Focus or whatever the picture area is called and then two of them will be outside under cover in the area between the doors to the boardwalk and the carousel. Forget which of the four is which area, but it was crazy and you couldn't hear or see anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 6:24 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

With the new terminal design there is no place for them at check in as there are no desks.  Literally for check in you barely stop walking from the time you enter the terminal to when you are in the waiting lounge or on the ship as long as your paperwork is in order.  Waiting for cards would create a huge bottleneck much like the chain reaction that you get when one person taps their brakes in heavy traffic.

Ok, but how many terminals like that are there?

On 1/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, gatour said:

Disney is already doing the phone app to open your room door at their Disney World owned hotels

Marriott has been doing it for a while in many of their hotels.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 1:09 AM, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I can't wait for that.

Also, I really wish they would add the ability to add the mobile SetSail Passes to Apple Wallet, like the airlines allow you to do with boarding passes. 

What is a mobile setsail pass, do you mean in the app? Or a screenshot of your setsail pass stored in your photos on your mobile?

12 minutes ago, Miamia65 said:

What is a mobile setsail pass, do you mean in the app? Or a screenshot of your setsail pass stored in your photos on your mobile?

I’m referring to the setsail pass in the app, on your mobile device. You can use that in place of a printed setsail pass. It would be nice if that could be added to your Apple wallet, like the airlines allow, which would allow even easier access to it.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That's assuming a phone would be required, as opposed to a secondary option.  Today's technology already supports various biometric security technologies.

As a parallel scenario...one hotel chain started the "movement" to digital room access, and now at least 5 major chains have fallen in line.  Those kinds of trends happen regularly, and when companies see a means to simplify, cut costs, and go paper-free, they often embrace it.  Considering RCI is looking to continue cost-cutting, this would fall in line as a plus towards that effort.

While it’s certainly true Hotels are moving toward all-digital keys, etc, those hotels all have free WiFi service and cell phone service is also available for free.   As long as cruise ships are charging $25 per person per day or more to use the internet or cell phone, I have a hard time believing people will so readily give up access to a card key and payment system on a ship.   (In addition to several people that will still want to unplug or leave their cell phones being when going to the beach)

6 hours ago, DancerMama25 said:

While it’s certainly true Hotels are moving toward all-digital keys, etc, those hotels all have free WiFi service and cell phone service is also available for free.   As long as cruise ships are charging $25 per person per day or more to use the internet or cell phone, I have a hard time believing people will so readily give up access to a card key and payment system on a ship.   (In addition to several people that will still want to unplug or leave their cell phones being when going to the beach)

The trends and statistics seem to be moving in the opposite direction...and the cost going forward may even be eliminated as a separate charge in lieu of having it baked into the cruise price...they'e been talking about a "paper-free" world for nearly 20 years...and it may be much closer to reality in the very near future.

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The trends and statistics seem to be moving in the opposite direction...and the cost going forward may even be eliminated as a separate charge in lieu of having it baked into the cruise price...they'e been talking about a "paper-free" world for nearly 20 years...and it may be much closer to reality in the very near future.

More than 20 years, more like 40.

Funny thing, computers have INCREASED paper use.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Last night my new iPhone had to be re-set without backup and all apps reinstalled.  I am cruising tomorrow on Royal and had downloaded my Set Sails to my Apple Wallet as a backup to the app.  When re installing and logging in there was no longer an option to do this from the Royal app.   So I went to Apple Wallet and Royal was not listed as a compatible app???? It just worked on Monday!