Free Perk: OBC vs. Gratuities

ihopfar

Hi,

Looking to book under the 1 Free Perk promotion for summer 2020.   I see 2 of the 4 options as 150OBC pp or free pre-paid gratuities. Even for a 12 night cruise, the pre-paid gratuities for 2 of us would be less than $300.  

If I take the OBC, will my gratuities be charged to my on board account and paid for out of the OBC?  That is how it works on other lines we have sailed.  If that is the case, the OBC is the better choice, right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Brad

1 hour ago, ihopfar said:

Hi,

Looking to book under the 1 Free Perk promotion for summer 2020.   I see 2 of the 4 options as 150OBC pp or free pre-paid gratuities. Even for a 12 night cruise, the pre-paid gratuities for 2 of us would be less than $300.  

If I take the OBC, will my gratuities be charged to my on board account and paid for out of the OBC?  That is how it works on other lines we have sailed.  If that is the case, the OBC is the better choice, right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Brad

Yes - gratuities will be charged to your account daily and your non-refundable OBC will be used first to pay for all expenses charged to your account - including gratuities.  And your math is correct if you have an inside through standard balcony cabin with a $14.50 pp per day gratuity.  However, Aqua Class and Suites have higher gratuities and thus shorter duration break-evens.

6 hours ago, whitshel said:

Im sorry, are you sure on that math?  My old math says $14.50 x 12 days = $174 per person x 2 pax = $348.  Sooooo wouldn't it be better to take the gratuities on a 12 night cruise?

Sorry -- looking at too many cruises on too many cruise lines.  The Celebrity cruise is 9 days so I believe that is $261.  Of course, my math is faulty for a 12 day cruise!.

Thanks!

Brad

We ALWAYS do the go best.  While on the cruise people are discussing the cost of internet the question as to whether to upgrade to the premium package or to buy the package if it was not one of your perks.  Why not book go best at the time of booking at have it all included and not worry about it later.

4 hours ago, jimkathyd1 said:

We ALWAYS do the go best.  While on the cruise people are discussing the cost of internet the question as to whether to upgrade to the premium package or to buy the package if it was not one of your perks.  Why not book go best at the time of booking at have it all included and not worry about it later.

Valid points, but Brad (OP) obviously believes $300 OBC is more valuable than a 9 day drink package for two people.  Thus he will not find the necessary value from a purchased Best Bundle.

For those of us that value the Premium Drink Package it is worth considering.

11 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

For those of us that value the Premium Drink Package it is worth considering.

Agreed.     Our group usually cruises RCL, but we just booked the Summit for Feb 2020.    We all get the Deluxe Drink package, tend to be overtippers, and a few need the internet pkg because of their businesses.   When we added it all up, the Go Best option made great sense.   Plus we went Aqua Class.   All in all this trip will be cheaper than our standard balcony on Allure next month.   I do love the pre paid tips and no risk if the tip rate is raised between now and sailing.    And on top of it all we'll have a "Revolutionized" Summit to sail on.

• Thanks 1