Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

On 1/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, Joebucks said:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

There you go. There's a way to cut your losses when you get on the boat and your vacation is ruined by this.

Seriously? The value for your money argument? If the fare went up $50, you wouldn't bat an eye. If you spend $50 in room service, it's the end of the world. 

Prices are always going to go up. In the vacation world, look at your bottom-line price. Don't worry about the individual charges. The fact of the matter is the competition is doing it too. In general, Carnival still offers the lowest price. 

So either I agree with you or I'm wrong and silly. No room for other opinions?

You missed the part where I do look at bottom line prices. Would you pay for a car with electric seats and be happy if it came with out them?

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 5:51 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

And as a “long time cruiser” myself, I have seen MANY of my perks disappear, as mentioned previously, such as all the complimentary cocktail parties with appetizers and midnight buffets, along with little things, such as chocolate on the pillow and table cloths, but I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. There is no amount of “voicing your opinion “ on this matter that will change Carnival’s mind, as they watch the trend on all other ships, along with their bottom line, and proceed from there. So, yes, you can tell Carnival you are unhappy with the decision, but it won’t change anything, but create a whole lot of drama. 

Have you seen John Heald page today? They are reevaluating the charge and have at the very least delayed it for now.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

First off, I’m not sure where you heard that prime rib and lobster would be served on any night other than formal night. And just an FYI, you have to pay an up charge for lobster on NCL. Also, where did you get information that all drinks except alcohol were included? Because if your TA is telling you this, it’s time to find a new TA. And a smart cruiser is one who researches everything ahead of time. There is plenty of videos on YouTube about different ships. Watch them. And a cabin is DEFINITELY not anything like a hotel room. Once again, research prior to booking and cruising would have told you this. Plenty of pics of your cabin are available on the Carnival website, and videos available on YouTube of tours of different cabin styles. Research, again. Irons have never been allowed, as it is a fire hazard. Carnival has self assist laundry areas. RCCL and NCL do not. You have to pay to have that service done on them. As for specialty restaurants, most Carnival ships have a steakhouse and Italian Restaurant. Many ships have more than that. Research before choosing and booking helps. All in all, Cruising is a fabulous value for your vacation dollar. And Carnival still maintains the best price point. I’ve sailed Carnival, RCCL, and NCL. Let me assure you, that Carnival does the LEAST amount of nickel and dime charges over the other lines. If you purchase the Cheers plan—if you are a moderate to big drinker—it is by far the best package over the other two cruise lines. It is the only one that includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, and milkshakes. NCL’s only includes alcohol and soda, and is the most expensive of the three. I also think RCCL’s is only alcohol and soda. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong on RCCL’s package). I am sorry that there aren’t more late, late night offerings on Carnival. But RCCL has even worse late night offerings. NCL is the winner in that department, with their 24 hour fully complimentary sit down restaurant called O’Sheehans. (BTW—NCL also leads the way with the most and best specialty restaurants onboard). So, rest assured. You are getting your money’s worth. And for your next cruise, do your research. 

RCCL has the soda package, the Royal Refreshment package, and the Deluxe package. Both the Royal Refreshment and the Deluxe package include soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, milkshakes, virgin cocktails, bottled sparkling water, and freshly squeezed orange juice.

We always get the Royal Refreshment package, because we are not big drinkers. I wish CCL had something similar for our upcoming cruise on their line.

• Like 1

On January 4, 2019 at 9:28 PM, Joebucks said:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

There you go. There's a way to cut your losses when you get on the boat and your vacation is ruined by this.

Seriously? The value for your money argument? If the fare went up $50, you wouldn't bat an eye. If you spend $50 in room service, it's the end of the world. 

Prices are always going to go up. In the vacation world, look at your bottom-line price. Don't worry about the individual charges. The fact of the matter is the competition is doing it too. In general, Carnival still offers the lowest price. 

Yes, prices go up, but when you purchase something for a specific price, you expect to get what you purchased. The difference between what Carnival is doing and the other lines is a per item charge as opposed to a flat delivery fee. That would still tick me off, but it would not be as bad. 

I dont get get why so many posters have a hard time figuring out why the rest of us are angry that what we purchased is not what we are getting. And yeah, I know they have an out in the contract. 

For me, it's just one thing after another. Price of Cheers went up, daily gratuties went up, now charges for room service. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

You might need a fact check... the Ernesto Burger on Princess only costs $5 for the burger or $8 for the burger with a beer.

Sorry.  You are correct.  I saw it on a $19 menu and quoted the wrong price.  

But my point remains the same.  They are charging for their burger.  Just give it time.....

From John Heald,

”I had previously told you about changes to our room service offerings that would go into effect in January.  

I wanted to let you know that we are in the process of making some adjustments to that plan to balance the interests of our guests with our efforts to reduce food waste costs. 

For the time being then, there will be no changes until we finalise a plan that will I will communicate to you all.”

When asked to specify, John stated that the changes have been cancelled and room service will revert to being free until 10 PM

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, sanmarcosman said:

They laid off their in house IT department and shipped the jobs overseas to save a buck or two. We are left with the end result.

I read your other post about your experiences with your PVP. I explained to my PVP from the git go that I need them mostly as an order taker and to be an advocate for me if something goes south with the reservation. I said I did not want to receive sales calls. Not once in 5 years have I received a sales call. Some PVPs will work on this basis but I've read here others will not or they "forget" and call you anyway because you show up in their TK file of their sales program. Good luck.

I think I am going to need lots of luck on this....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Sorry.  You are correct.  I saw it on a $19 menu and quoted the wrong price.  

But my point remains the same.  They are charging for their burger.  Just give it time.....

You keep bringing up examples of burgers that are in different category than Guy's, ones worthy of an additional charge, the Ernesto is in a completely different league than Guy's.   

Capture.JPG

Edited by schazzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, schazzy said:

You keep bringing up examples of burgers that are in different category than Guy's, ones worthy of an additional charge, the Ernesto is in a completely different league than Guy's.   

You've made it quite clear you disagree with me.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I'm sure there were people who thought room service would never cost $$ either.  

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

You've made it quite clear you disagree with me.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I'm sure there were people who thought room service would never cost $$ either.  

I actually figured it was only a matter of time before room service would no longer be included for no additional charge, that is a trend in other non-luxury cruise lines, hotels and resorts.

The point I'm trying to make on the burger thing is yes, there are cruise lines charging for specialty burgers, there is no denying that, but as far as I've seen, these lines all still have some form of included burger option available.  

On 1/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, coevan said:

you should have sold it and went on a trip you would like

I'll love the trip despite the line because of the wonderful group that chartered the ship. (and it's non-transferable).  I love the cruise, just not the cruise line. 

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Do you guys realize that pretty much every contract ever reserves the right for the company to change their terms, to a degree? Otherwise the court system would collapse from frivolous claims. Everyone thinks they are an expert on law. 99% of what the public says is illegal, is not. Every big decision a corporation makes is ran by their legal team.

No reasonable court is going to say that these cruises lured people in with free room service, and then took away a crucial part of the vacation, breaking the contract. Now if they suddenly made all food an additional charge that would be a actual problem for existing bookings. Delivery of food to a room is more of a customer service piece than anything.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree on this subject. Heck, I only had to sit through 2 years of contract law to get my degree, so what do I know. I'm certainly not an attorney or a judge..Are you? 

I checked Carnival's website yesterday and it was still showing room service from 6am to 10pm was included. I have 3 cruises booked and have had no legal notification..i.e. emails or letters..sent to me regarding the change in room service. However, I do have emails regarding the nominal increase in the gratuities charge. If their legal department was behind this roll out then they did a crappy job.

Judges don't like corporations that act in bad faith and try to screw over the little guy. That's why many times you will see them award punitive damages to punish corporation.

Carnival did the right thing suspending this roll out. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:56 AM, rukkian said:

While I don't use room service, I don't understand this mentality.  If somebody says they don't like a change they should never cruise again?  Who are you to say this?  Let people vent.  This is a discussion forum, and I don't remember a rule that says only positive posts about carnival are allowed.    I fully understand people that booked and fully paid with the expectation that room service was included.  I'm, carnival should give people back their deposit if this pisses them off enough.  When the terms change after you sign, then you should have some amount of time to get out of said contract.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:21 AM, les37b said:

My thoughts also.

if someone has paid in full for something they are quite entitled to have a moan when they get told they are being dollared. (You can really call this nickel and diming since it’s considerably more.) lol It’s not something that affects me. In all my cruises, I’ve only ever ordered breakfast in the suite on 2 occasions. That said, if I was expected to pay $4 for each item on my full English breakfast plate, the pastries, toast, fruit and juice, then they could whistle for it. Why charge each item? Are they having to make individual journeys for each?  And a tip on top too? What exactly is the “service charge” for? That all goes to the crew doesn’t it? Oh wait......

Anyway, I’m pretty sure most of those throwing the insults to those complaining,  probably  would still say their cruise was fantastic if they were confined to the cabin with Noro. As long as they’d still got their Pom poms, it’ll be alright. 

Thank you both. It felt like Drazil65 was personally attacking me because I wanted to vent. Both your answers made me feel a lot better. Sheesh. Sometimes we all just need to vent....or whine (and YES, I'd like cheese with my whine). 😉

• Like 5

On 1/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, Lil2Angelic said:

Well I guess we can agree to disagree on this subject. Heck, I only had to sit through 2 years of contract law to get my degree, so what do I know. I'm certainly not an attorney or a judge..Are you? 

I am... yes.

24 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Has there been any reports where anyone was sailing and paid during the roll out?

I believe it was supposed to be rolled out middle of this month, so it wouldn't have affected anyone yet.

I am really glad to hear they reversed it since we sail on the 27th and were none to happy about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 12:36 PM, Ziggy7 said:

From John Heald,

”I had previously told you about changes to our room service offerings that would go into effect in January.  

I wanted to let you know that we are in the process of making some adjustments to that plan to balance the interests of our guests with our efforts to reduce food waste costs. 

For the time being then, there will be no changes until we finalise a plan that will I will communicate to you all.”

When asked to specify, John stated that the changes have been cancelled and room service will revert to being free until 10 PM

Thanks for passing this on. This is great news, at least for now. I really hope they keep it free until 10PM for good.

• Like 1

Just now, 10Jan54 said:

If people didn't waste so much the charge would bother me but carnival should charge and maybe people will not just put all that food in the halls at night.

I don't understand the trays left all night in the halls thing.  If there are all these stewards and folks supposedly at the beck and call of the passengers why can't they(or cleaning staff or whoever)go up and down the halls and grab all the trays at night?  Problem solved.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, sanmarcosman said:

John drops the bad news yet reminds everyone to tip the room service staff well. John misses the fact that room service orders will be so few that staffing will be reduced and those laid off will make zero tips. 

I wouldn't use room service if there is a charge. It's easy to take a walk and grab food elsewhere.

I was very disappointed when I saw this thread. I read the first couple of pages and then scrolled over to the last page. So happy that this rollout has been delayed for now. On my Glory cruise last February, I loved being able to order a couple of blt’s from room service after our walking tour. We were exhausted, so we ordered, took our showers, and there was no need to slog up to the buffet. It was the only time we used room service, but we really appreciated having it available at no charge. I am taking my second Carnival cruise on the 19th and am really looking forward to free room service if the need ever arises. We are not young, so this is wonderful.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, Crazy4Camping said:

I don't understand the trays left all night in the halls thing.  If there are all these stewards and folks supposedly at the beck and call of the passengers why can't they(or cleaning staff or whoever)go up and down the halls and grab all the trays at night?  Problem solved.  

just leave the tray in your room and when they come to clean your room they will take it.  Why do any of us need to see each others garbage?

• Like 1

I find this change ridiculous and one of the last straws.  Food is included in the fare.  If you swap out the MDR or the lido dining, you should NOT be charged for it.

I have let John Heald know my displeasure.

• Haha 1