Printing receipts with each drink order to get more tips

I've been on 5 RCCL cruises now, all of which I had the drink package for. I most recently just got back from enchantment of the seas where I saw something I hadn't before. With every drink purchase made by every person (even if you has the drink package) they were printing and making you sign a receipt and either add a tip amount or cross it off. This was at every bar including Coco cay.  I found this kind of annoying as the drink package already has an 18% upcharge to cover tipping the bartenders but it really felt kind of crappy to never give them anything so they did guilt me into tipping extra quite a bit. Normally I would just tip cash to my favorites towards the end of the crew. 

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Most the people on the ship seemed really confused and were only used to getting a receipt if you owed money on a purchase. What do you think? Find this as annoying as I did? As an aside, it seemed like a great waste of paper as most people tipped $0. It also slowed down bar service quite a bit while receipts printed and they grabbed a pen. I tried not signing one time at the coffee shop and the guy darn near Chased me down. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, computerdude1032 said:

I've been on 5 RCCL cruises now, all of which I had the drink package for. I most recently just got back from enchantment of the seas where I saw something I hadn't before. With every drink purchase made by every person (even if you has the drink package) they were printing and making you sign a receipt and either add a tip amount or cross it off. This was at every bar including Coco cay.  I found this kind of annoying as the drink package already has an 18% upcharge to cover tipping the bartenders but it really felt kind of crappy to never give them anything so they did guilt me into tipping extra quite a bit. Normally I would just tip cash to my favorites towards the end of the crew. 

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Most the people on the ship seemed really confused and were only used to getting a receipt if you owed money on a purchase. What do you think? Find this as annoying as I did? As an aside, it seemed like a great waste of paper as most people tipped $0. It also slowed down bar service quite a bit while receipts printed and they grabbed a pen. I tried not signing one time at the coffee shop and the guy darn near Chased me down. 

We've found that if we give one dollar with our SeaPass card when ordering the drink, they don't give us a receipt to sign and we get excellent service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Didn't have this on Symphony recenlty but think we did last year on Navigator.

Just, cross through it, sign it and hand it back and they'll soon get bored of giving you it. Especially if it's the same server.

"Save the waves" (and the trees)

I'm inclined to think it is the beverage manager on each ship that makes this decision.  December 16th Navigator I only remember this happening once and when I crossed off the tip on the first one I wasn't given slips by that bartender anymore.  I hate this waste of paper.  I'm betting if anyone with a drink package wants to tip extra they will use cash.  But like you said they guilted you into tipping extra a few times so the bartender got ahead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

We've found that if we give one dollar with our SeaPass card when ordering the drink, they don't give us a receipt to sign and we get excellent service.

We do the same thing.  I know the 18% is added to the package, but if you think about the number of drinks you get daily, including soda at a bar, specialty coffee if you drink that and bottled water, the tip amount per drink usually comes to less than $1 a drink and if I didn't have the package, I'd be tipping a whole lot more at the 18% rate.  

After the first drink in a bar, whenever I use the same bartender, I never get a receipt to sign.  The card and $1 take care of it.  If the bartender is especially friendly or makes a good Johnny Double Black with soda, after the first one, he gets $2 per drink.  It works well for me.

• Like 1

I usually have the deluxe beverage package and it seems for the first couple of days, they hand me a receipt to sign. I'm assuming they are looking for the additional tip. At first, I felt guilty not putting down an additional tip even though the 18% was built into the package price. But I got over that soon enough.

By the third day, they stop giving me the receipt.

What???!!!???

You people don't give extra "tips" on top of the included 18% "tips"?

& You cheapskates don't even feeling guilty about it?

How are we going to lift the entire world's less fortunate out of poverty & add more profit to the cruise lines with that attitude...?

OK, relax.... this is a sarcastic joke!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

What???!!!???

You people don't give extra "tips" on top of the included 18% "tips"?

& You cheapskates don't even feeling guilty about it?

How are we going to lift the entire world's less fortunate out of poverty & add more profit to the cruise lines with that attitude...?

OK, relax.... this is a sarcastic joke!!!

I'm basically a beer drinker. When waiting patiently my turn while the bartenders are busy making some complicated drink for others, sometimes I feel like asking if it's okay if I open my own beer bottle and get my 18% back? :classic_laugh:

Before I get lectured, yes, I know there is a huge behind the scenes staff that ensured my beer bottle made it to the bar. I kid...mostly....kinda

Just off Brilliance -  somewhat related.

hubs and I had the beverage package (no alcohol). For the first time, I had to swipe my card each time I was served for the first time daily, then subsequently just show it.  Each day, hubs needed to do the same. After that first swipe, I could return to that bar to order, but could only get one beverage unless I had both cards.   In the past, with virgin drinks, I could double up no problem, but not this trip.  

On Allure last month most bars gave us a receipt except for one of the pool bars. Last year on Independence we never got a receipt. Personally I prefer getting a receipt since I usually tip an extra dollar or so and I end up running out of cash towards the end of the cruise. But I understand how it could be annoying to others. 

5 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I've never received a receipt myself when having the drinks package. Not that I'd personally feel the need to tip anyone for simply pouring me a drink anyway.

unless you are only drinking singles( glass of wine, straight  hard stuff, etc).. why do you think it is not warranted?   they must  assemble the drink,  make sure there are clean glasses and the  extra like olives at hand and  THEY are doing the work.. not you.

I pretty much only drink wine myself  but that still entails uncorking at a minimum and it isn't like I  will ever be handed the bottle to pour myself a glass.... 

I agree with a PP  that is a  local decision made by the Beverage manager.   they are wanting to track something. but it isn't  to scam extra tip out of you.  

We were on the Allure in November and we noticed we kept getting these receipts (we had the beverage package) so we too thought it was a waste of paper. We asked the waiter why do we keep getting this and he said they are told to print it out in case we wish to give an extra tip. We told him we've already paid the 18% gratuity....we never had a receipt printed out again at that bar.

20 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

And that would tend to confirm that the only reason they are printing receipts is for tips. I do follow the same practice as you when I get C&A covered drinks. One time a bartender printed a receipt anyway. I looked at him and said.... seriouly?.... He said.... oh yeah, sorry. And he ripped it up.

42 minutes ago, spookwife said:

I agree with a PP  that is a  local decision made by the Beverage manager.   they are wanting to track something. but it isn't  to scam extra tip out of you.  

I am quite sure they could scan your card and track whatever they want to without printing and presenting you with a receipt. They track my Diamond drinks and print out nothing. It is all about tips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spookwife said:

unless you are only drinking singles( glass of wine, straight  hard stuff, etc).. why do you think it is not warranted?   they must  assemble the drink,  make sure there are clean glasses and the  extra like olives at hand and  THEY are doing the work.. not you.

Because I don't think it warrants it, and I'll tell you why (in addition to the price exploitation I'd also mentioned) ...

I went to Tesco today, the lady at the till kindly packed all my shopping into a couple of bags, expertly. I don't give her a tip, and neither would or does anyone in that scenario (or it would be extremely rare) - I just give the usual polite expression of gratitude. Yet that was far more effort than pouring a bloomin' drink (beer or short usually).

And neither do I or anyone leave a tip for the cleaners who made the store look nice for me to walk round, or the kind people who stack the shelves and layout things in an orderly manner to make my task easier.

It's great, but IT'S THEIR JOB! Just like I have a job where I do my work, which I don't get tipped for, and nor would I expect or wish to be.

I may, and have, said to bar staff locally to "have one yourself" towards the end of the night if they've made my night or been repeatedly superb in looking after me, but on a drink for drink basis, for me, 'fraid not.

On the flip side, you're clearly happy to tip, as are plenty of others, and that is of course absolutely fine - I wouldn't question your desire to do that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Because I don't think it warrants it, and I'll tell you why (in addition to the price exploitation I'd also mentioned) ...

I went to Tesco today, the lady at the till kindly packed all my shopping into a couple of bags, expertly. I don't give her a tip, and neither would or does anyone in that scenario (or it would be extremely rare) - I just give the usual polite expression of gratitude. Yet that was far more effort than pouring a bloomin' drink (beer or short usually).

And neither do I or anyone leave a tip for the cleaners who made the store look nice for me to walk round, or the kind people who stack the shelves and layout things in an orderly manner to make my task easier.

It's great, but IT'S THEIR JOB! Just like I have a job where I do my work, which I don't get tipped for, and nor would I expect or wish to be.

I may, and have, said to bar staff locally to "have one yourself" towards the end of the night if they've made my night or been repeatedly superb in looking after me, but on a drink for drink basis, for me, 'fraid not.

On the flip side, you're clearly happy to tip, as are plenty of others, and that is of course absolutely fine - I wouldn't question your desire to do that.

However, people would work in the service part of the ship, ie. bartenders, don't get paid at the same rate as those in other departments. There income is derived mostly from tips. This is very different from the examples you gave in your post. And I realize that in England there is not this distinction made in rate of pay with servers. Your pub servers derive their pay from their employers not from customer tips.

Though I do tend to agree that 18% on an overpriced drink does not really require any extra added.

• Like 1