Government Shutdown

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Poster said was delayed leaving ship. Said might been due to Holiday... But their and my experience when getting to CBP was fast, no checking purchases or long lines as years ago. So what I said is same as with you.

We got held on the ship longer because it was taking so long to clear customs and the terminal got full with no place for everyone to go.  The funny thing is that by the time we got down there were almost no lines and we had our passports glanced at and waived through with no questions asked.  Whole thing was crazy.  We were told while on the ship while delayed that it was because of lack of agents.

1 hour ago, Spunky946 said:

We got held on the ship longer because it was taking so long to clear customs and the terminal got full with no place for everyone to go.  The funny thing is that by the time we got down there were almost no lines and we had our passports glanced at and waived through with no questions asked.  Whole thing was crazy.  We were told while on the ship while delayed that it was because of lack of agents.

Yeah thanks, same as my experience. Do Repo every yr and takes little extra time before they start disembarkation. But today Agents are working, at times just gets busy, take breaks, do secondary screenings, but talking with them and going threw is a Breeze now. Been cruising over 30yrs now doing 33nites this Fall on Royal, traveling dozen times a yr, even Airports/TSA is better, hasn't been this easy since 9/10/2001 day I came home from Cruise. Next month was at Disney in Florida when Anthrax scare, they opened/searched all bags/purses and my diaper bag. What a mess that was. Next month was coming back from cruise flying the day shoe bomber was, "take off my shoes?" Actually worked airports as Military support that Fall/Winter. Even tested/interviewed and received an offer for TSA Manager at one point 17yrs ago when they were just forming. Somethings will never be the same but at one point thought never get off a cruise and make a flight before Noon, now it's the norm...

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

During the last lengthy shutdown, there was a purposely implemented slow down at the ports -- it didn't have to be, but it was done for political purposes -- to make you feel the pain so you would beg for the shutdown to be over.  Glad to hear it's not happening this time.

Not yet.

13 hours ago, phabric said:

We will be disembarking off the Symphony in Miami.  

Coming from Canada, I am not sure if the Government Shut Down will effected immigration procedure any once we are off the ship?

We leave this Sunday for Fort Lauderdale.  Air Canada put a bulletin on their website asking passengers flying to the US to arrive 3 hrs prior to the flight to allow sufficient time to pass immigration at the airport.  It is a nice advantage here in Montreal as we do not have to do it once we land in FLL.  We figure we are on vacation so we will simply get to the airport earlier and go with the flow.

For disembarkation, we have the mobile passport app so it helped in the past to get into a shorter line.  It may be available for the Miami port.  Check it out

Have a great cruise 🙂

17 hours ago, iuki said:

I’m a retired Federal employee.  Whenever we had those shutdowns I was one of those employees that worked during the shutdown and got paid.  Those that weren’t working and didn’t get paid, did get back pay.

I always built up my checking account to cover one month’s worth of bills “just in case”. I still do that because we have auto pay for most of our bills - “just in case.”  I feel for those who are not financially able to do that.  Hopefully this won’t last too long.

My situation at first glance isn't affected - normally I am funded (USCIS) but we get paid under Dept of Agriculture for some reason and, THEY are affected, so next payday (Jan 11) MIGHT impact me but I'm fortunate to be having my pay just go into savings. However, this MAY impact me a couple of months out since I use that money for things like.....cruises:classic_blink:

Edited by johnjen

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

My situation at first glance isn't affected - normally I am funded (USCIS) but we get paid under Dept of Agriculture for some reason and, THEY are affected, so next payday (Jan 11) MIGHT impact me but I'm fortunate to be having my pay just go into savings. However, this MAY impact me a couple of months out since I use that money for things like.....cruises:classic_blink:

Ouch. Sorry. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:53 PM, Lady Hudson said:

Is the affecting any of the ports?  Thanks

Are you asking just about embarkation ports or all ports? We were in San Juan Christmas Eve and the forts were still open. Now, due to the shutdown, they are closed:

https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

10 hours ago, clean1owner said:

Just finished my TSA Pre-Check stuff on Monday. Crossing my fingers that the processing doesn't get delayed.

From what I have heard, passports are not impacted by the shutdown but Global Entry and TSA Pre Check applications are and will not be issued during the shutdown.

I retired in 2010 from Federal Service, mainly working for DoD during my 30 years of service.  Went through 4-5 shutdowns and never lost a paycheck or even had one delayed.  This shutdown that affects about 25% of the government will likely be longer, but Federal employees will do just fine.   Most Federal credit unions offer low interest loans for members.  

13 hours ago, meadowlander said:

From what I have heard, passports are not impacted by the shutdown but Global Entry and TSA Pre Check applications are and will not be issued during the shutdown.

My wife and I both got updated passport e-mailed to us within the past week. So I can confirm that passport applications are not affected, at least at this time

Oh, and as an addendum. I'm a federal contractor for the Department of Energy. Currently unaffected by this shutdown but keeping a real keen eye on everything. We are funded as of right now but spent a few weeks unpaid during the last shutdown.(and not reimbursed since we were considered contractors) Considered an essential employee at the sight where I work. 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Poster said was delayed leaving ship. Said might been due to Holiday... But their and my experience when getting to CBP was fast, no checking purchases or long lines as years ago. So what I said is same as with you.

Backups clearing customs occur all year long.  Blaming the shutdown is a convenient excuse right now but it is not accurate.  CBP agents are fully staffed.  In fact, they are better staffed now because they are not allowed to take leave.

By the way, DHS hasn't missed a paycheck yet.  That will come on Jan 11 if they don't pass a budget by the 8th.  That's when I would expect to see a morale dump.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Backups clearing customs occur all year long.  Blaming the shutdown is a convenient excuse right now but it is not accurate.  CBP agents are fully staffed.  In fact, they are better staffed now because they are not allowed to take leave.

By the way, DHS hasn't missed a paycheck yet.  That will come on Jan 11 if they don't pass a budget by the 8th.  That's when I would expect to see a morale dump.  

Agree 100%. Even have 1st hand experience myself as a Cruiser during previous shutdown and as a Federal employee for Dept of Defense during 2 other Shutdowns once having to work unpaid...

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You say you worked unpaid?  Did you get retro pay?

Yes, sorry should have said that. I did get that pay period AFTER the shutdown. Though there was no guarantee was going happen. Was during Clinton's Presidency

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1