Birth Certificate question

A friend of mine sent his original Birth Certificate in to the Passport Bureau in order to get his passport (long story as to why).  Well, someone seems to have lost everything.  He has a cruise in March in the Caribbean.  The problem is that he only has a copy of his birth certificate, not an original.  He tried to get a new Birth Certificate but they are running 16 weeks!!!!  

So my question, will Royal Caribbean let him board if he has a copy and not an original of his birth certificate?  

26 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

I thought it had to be a certified copy (with the imprinted seal).

Not just a copy.

The certified copy is the one you get from the issuing authority and it's what most people consider to be the "original" (the original is actually housed with the issuing authority and is never issued). Here's the language from the regulations: 

"2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services"

I've read of many passengers saving their cruise by the timely faxing of a birth certificate and many in the OP's friend's shoes who've had to use a copy because of the unavailability of the original. In any event if my choice is to show up with nothing or to show up with a copy I'll show up with the copy.

Edited by sparks1093

55 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

I thought it had to be a certified copy (with the imprinted seal).

Not just a copy.

Some states dont even do an imprinted seal anymore.  I know here in Ga, we have a watermark on ours now.  Carnival clearly states that a photocopy of a BC will work.   Royal is kinda ambiguous in their wording there.    As Sparks1093 pointed out, MANY times has Royal accepted a faxed copy of the BC. I wouldnt think it has to be a certified copy if thats the case.

16 weeks?  You can get an original/certified birth record from your States Office of Vital Statistics within days for less than 25 dollars.  People confuse "Original" birth certificate record  (the one that is falling part in your safe that mom gave you) with a valid certificate of live birth issued by you the state you were born in (can be issued yesterday); both are valid.  The whole "raised seal" thing is not valid either...

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

A friend of mine sent his original Birth Certificate in to the Passport Bureau in order to get his passport (long story as to why).  Well, someone seems to have lost everything.  He has a cruise in March in the Caribbean.  The problem is that he only has a copy of his birth certificate, not an original.  He tried to get a new Birth Certificate but they are running 16 weeks!!!!  

So my question, will Royal Caribbean let him board if he has a copy and not an original of his birth certificate?  

He should be able to walk in the local office where they were born and walk out with it for $10 or so. If he lives far away he should be able to call and have it sent.

One of our travelers had the same problem, required to send in original birth certificate and everything got lost.  Also, my brother thought he had the original birth certificate but it was a hospital birth certificate.  Our solution was to drive to the closest location that does same day birth certificates, 3 hours away and get new ones. A certified copy is issued by the state and that is what we got when we went there. 

10 hours ago, CelticMCO said:

16 weeks?  You can get an original/certified birth record from your States Office of Vital Statistics within days for less than 25 dollars.  People confuse "Original" birth certificate record  (the one that is falling part in your safe that mom gave you) with a valid certificate of live birth issued by you the state you were born in (can be issued yesterday); both are valid.  The whole "raised seal" thing is not valid either...

Do you know that for a fact for all states????

I know that Florida points you to Vital Check for BCs.  NOT the state office.  And it is more than $25.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Do you know that for a fact for all states????

I know that Florida points you to Vital Check for BCs.  NOT the state office.  And it is more than $25.

In Brevard County, Florida, we just walk into the clerk of the courts office and have one issued immediately

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The certified copy is the one you get from the issuing authority and it's what most people consider to be the "original" (the original is actually housed with the issuing authority and is never issued). Here's the language from the regulations: 

"2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services"

I've read of many passengers saving their cruise by the timely faxing of a birth certificate and many in the OP's friend's shoes who've had to use a copy because of the unavailability of the original. In any event if my choice is to show up with nothing or to show up with a copy I'll show up with the copy.

so we don't need a passport sailing from Galveston back to Galveston even though we go to Mexico?  I thought the WHTI states that you DO need a passport unless you have an enhanced drivers license which only 5 states issue.

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

What is an enhanced driver’s license?

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their driver’s licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

2 minutes ago, Robinhill said:

so we don't need a passport sailing from Galveston back to Galveston even though we go to Mexico?  I thought the WHTI states that you DO need a passport unless you have an enhanced drivers license which only 5 states issue.

Passport not mandatory on a closed loop cruised based out of the US.

11 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

He should be able to walk in the local office where they were born and walk out with it for $10 or so. If he lives far away he should be able to call and have it sent.

He lives in San Diego but was born in St. Louis.   He contacted St. Louis and they are running SIXTEEN WEEKS for Birth Certificates!!!   Actually, therein lies the biggest part of the problem.  

43 minutes ago, Robinhill said:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

What is an enhanced driver’s license?

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their driver’s licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

I've bolded the relevant portion of the quote.

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

He lives in San Diego but was born in St. Louis.   He contacted St. Louis and they are running SIXTEEN WEEKS for Birth Certificates!!!   Actually, therein lies the biggest part of the problem.  

Did he try to order it on line?  I had to get mine not too long ago and it came within a week.  

https://www.stlouisco.com/healthandwellness/birthanddeathcertificates and then click on the online link

https://www.vitalchek.com/order_main.aspx

As a side note, he can call any county in MO and get his certificate.

http://www.jeffcohealth.org/administrative-services/

Edited by irishgal432

4 hours ago, uksimonusa said:

In Brevard County, Florida, we just walk into the clerk of the courts office and have one issued immediately

You can get a birth certificate for your birth in the UK???? 😄

That is ONE county, in ONE state.  The post I quoted claimed that you could do so in EVERY state.

Actually, when I had to replace my FL BC, the vital statistics site pointed me to VitalCheck to get it.

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

If I understand the Vital Chek section of https://health.mo.gov/data/vitalrecords/applications.php there is a service that may be able to expidite the process of getting a BC.

23 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The website says 2 weeks

https://www.stlouisco.com/healthandwellness/birthanddeathcertificates