Western Caribbean excursion help!

Jbrattoncruise

Hi friends!  We are going on the Equinox in March and I need some help planning excursions.  I have been to most of the ports several times before, but my travel companion has never been.   We are going to Key West (in all of my travels, ive never been here...) where I think we will just walk around and see the town.  Any suggestions here would be nice.  

Here's the issue - We want a snorkel/catamaran day, a beach day, and maybe a cultural day.   So far I am thinking Maya Chan in Costa Maya, Catamaran in Cozumel, and 7-mile beach in Cayman.   Any place better for catamaran?  Any suggestions for day pass/property for Cayman? Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks!

24 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Well, I can't help you with culture.  😋  But I'd suggest snorkeling with the stingrays in Georgetown if you've never done that.  And maybe Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.  Maya Chan is good in Costa Maya as there isn't much at the port.

Nachi Cocum in Cozumel is great because they only limit entry to 130 people a day.  If you want more to do and a great beach day in Cozumel, Mr. Sancho's Beach Club is awesome.  I agree with the recommendation for snorkeling with stingrays or the Turtle farm in Grand Cayman.

I recommend you do NOT book excursions through the cruise line for the above excursions.  You will get a better price through ShoreTrips or booking directly with the vendor.

Happy sailing!

Second May Chan - have been there twice and have enjoyed it both times.  However you'd better get on line and make reservations quickly as they only accept about 100 people there and book up fast.  There are no all inclusive day pass resorts in Grand Cayman but there are several places that provide umbrella and chair rentals with a possible access charge with drinks and meals at separate charges.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Second May Chan - have been there twice and have enjoyed it both times.  However you'd better get on line and make reservations quickly as they only accept about 100 people there and book up fast.  There are no all inclusive day pass resorts in Grand Cayman but there are several places that provide umbrella and chair rentals with a possible access charge with drinks and meals at separate charges.

May Chan rocks

go birds

Not sure if you were specifically asking for things to do in Key West but there a lot of places to go, all within walking distance of the ship, of course.  

You can go to for a tour of the Little Truman Whitehouse ... inexpensive and so very interesting.  

Also, the Hemmingway House is also a highlight for me, followed by a trip up to the top of the lighthouse, basically, it's right across the street.  There are many places on Duval Street to grab a cold drink and listen to some really great live music on your way back towards the pier.  

I'm sure there are a hundred other things to do but these involve a little fun and a lot of history.  I would say none of the places mentioned are further than a 30 minute walk from the ship, if even that.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not sure if you were specifically asking for things to do in Key West but there a lot of places to go, all within walking distance of the ship, of course.  

You can go to for a tour of the Little Truman Whitehouse ... inexpensive and so very interesting.  

Also, the Hemmingway House is also a highlight for me, followed by a trip up to the top of the lighthouse, basically, it's right across the street.  There are many places on Duval Street to grab a cold drink and listen to some really great live music on your way back towards the pier.  

I'm sure there are a hundred other things to do but these involve a little fun and a lot of history.  I would say none of the places mentioned are further than a 30 minute walk from the ship, if even that.  

You forgot to mention the great Key Lime Pie.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

In GC, you can get to 7-Mile Beach on the bus.  There are lounger/umbrella rentals at all of the access points, so you really don't need a day pass!  The Public Beach/Seagrape (just a name...ALL beach are public!) access has food/drink, restrooms, and watersport rentals.

Just tell the bus driver where you want to get off.  When you want to go back to the tender, walk the few steps to the road and hop on the next bus.  $2.50 pp....so you can have a relatively inexpensive beach day!

2 hours ago, welovetahiti said:

Which places are recommended, within walking distance (we usually walk 3 miles daily) for their famous  key lime pie?  How about  Key West bars that have live music?  Anyone know if the Edge MDRs offer key lime pie?

We had pie at Kermit's Key Lime Pie Shoppe. Just down the street from the pier.  They have samples and you can eat your pie in the rear where there is a koy fish pond with tables in the shade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

Well Maya Chan is booked.   Booooo.   Guess I’ll maybe do a catamaran there?   Ruins?   Beach day in Cozumel?   So confusing!

Sorry about Maya Chan but at this late date not surprised.  Maybe try the Cozumel Bar Hop in Cozumel.  Great way to see the undeveloped and beautiful back side of the island, which is visited by very few cruise guests.  Here is their link:

https://cozumelbarhop.com/

You can also do this on your own through a hired taxi and pick your own stops.  We've done it both ways.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

18 hours ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

Hi friends!  We are going on the Equinox in March and I need some help planning excursions.  I have been to most of the ports several times before, but my travel companion has never been.   We are going to Key West (in all of my travels, ive never been here...) where I think we will just walk around and see the town.  Any suggestions here would be nice.  

Here's the issue - We want a snorkel/catamaran day, a beach day, and maybe a cultural day.   So far I am thinking Maya Chan in Costa Maya, Catamaran in Cozumel, and 7-mile beach in Cayman.   Any place better for catamaran?  Any suggestions for day pass/property for Cayman? Any insight would be helpful.  Thanks!

If you have never been to Grand Cayman before I strongly suggest a Sting Ray City snorkel tour.  We've done it twice.  

Rollie

On 1/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, Jbrattoncruise said:

We did the HOHO bus just to see the entire island, then walked around.  We also went to the butterfly conservatory and enjoyed that.  Home of my favorite photo bomb picture:

Photo bomb.jpg

Edited by hiccups

19 hours ago, Jbrattoncruise said:

Well Maya Chan is booked.   Booooo.   Guess I’ll maybe do a catamaran there?   Ruins?   Beach day in Cozumel?   So confusing!

When in Costa Maya last year, we just took a taxi to Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill 

I believe it was $2 a person each way to get there and back. 

Here is some info on Trip Advisor (a sister site to cruise critic so ok to mention on this forum)..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d1421462-Reviews-Tropicante_Ameri_Mex_Grill-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

We'd have been one to give it five stars ... we had a great time.  You can reserve some beach chairs ahead of time by getting in touch with Steve, the proprietor.  You may not need reservations but if word gets out, it could get busy.  The food is decent and the drinks are ice cold and inexpensive.  The water out in front of this place is great.  They don't even mind if you want to put your chair into the ocean.  There is also plenty of shade if you choose.  They also have massages set up for a great price right there on the beach....not for the ultra modest person, though.  This place also has a Facebook page and you can private message Steve (an expat so no Spanish required) or get through to him via email.  

If you decide to go here, the taxi or shuttle leaves you out behind a row of establishments.  Be sure to make your way down to the Tropicante, though.  Look for Steve so you know you are at the right place.  Other establishment personnel will try to get you to stop at their place ... may even tell you they are the Tropicante though they are not.  

Anyway, we loved our day there.  We reserved 8 chairs in the shade and they were ready when we arrived.  It's rustic but the service was fantastic and friendly.  They have table service and they don't bug you to death but there if you need anything.  

We waded in that beautiful water, got an hour long massage right there at Tropicante (it was approx $30 for the hour, plus tip).  We had snacks and a bucket of ice cold beers.  Steve arranged a taxi to take us back to the port at the end of the day.  No other way I'd rather spend my day in Costa Maya.  It was beautiful and relaxing.