Norwegian Worst Customer Service /Corporate

JBorowicz83

5 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Congratulations . Nice to hear the squeaky wheel gets the grease . What about your parents ? 

They switch us and my parents, so it was a relief that I could call my parents and tell them that I did not have to show them "How to work the uber thing" The funny thing was that the supervisor said it was remarkable that I remained calm and respectful to all the different reps I had to deal with. 

1 minute ago, senseib said:

So where's your new thread topic "Norwegian Best Customer Service/Corporate" 

Ill do you one better, as I have already emailed Corporate with the name and the employee number of the supervisor for outstanding customer service and do diligence of check previous calls and information. 

5 hours ago, Pauser said:

I'm confused. Why can't you take this cruise if you can take one that leaves one day earlier? Did I miss something??

They can not take the original cruise because she would be one day too far along in the pregnancy to cruise. If you are too close to the due date NCL won't let you sail.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Ill do you one better, as I have already emailed Corporate with the name and the employee number of the supervisor for outstanding customer service and do diligence of check previous calls and information. 

Thanks for updating us on the outcome. While there are sometimes reasons companies can't "bend the rules", especially if they have been sanctioned for "secret warranties" or something like that, this one did seem arbitrary to me.

This is the second time I've heard recently of NCL being accommodating. I'm hoping it signals that the cruise companies in general, and NCL in particular, are starting to compete on shore-side customer service and policy flexibility, especially when there's enough time for them to resell the cancelled bookings. 

First I do understand the wife wanting to keep things quiet for awhile - she may not have been aware of the implications regarding the cruise and cancellation fees etc.

I would also like to strangle the NCL reps who said she would be a day over - it is almost impossible to tell the exact day of getting pregnant - their policy is

What if I'm pregnant?
Norwegian will make every effort to accommodate you, providing you have not entered the 24th week of pregnancy when the cruise ends. Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

So they want to make sure you are not in your last trimester when the cruise ends - so you have around 16 weeks to complete the cruise - so getting down to a day is simply being petty.

to the OP - I am glad you got this straightened out - too bad you had to go to the court of social media to do it.

Enjoy your cruise

3 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Thanks Tarps14 for understanding the totality of the circumstances. To the individuals that are only posting negative comments, I hope that you never have a perfect storm situation that cost you cash, or the chance to make memories with your families but I am sure you would just let it roll of your shoulders. 

Just to let ya'll know I was contacted by a NCL representative who agreed with me and proceeded to switch our reservations with little issue after reviewing the case and notes as well as listening to the previous five hours of calls where I was told things would happen to only have someone else contradict them. They booked us on a different ship leaving 1 day earlier and thanked me for bringing up the issues and even offered a extra promotion which I denied and they hope that I will continue to be a loyal NCL cruiser. At least there are some fantastic supervisors hiding around their corporate office. 

Actually, I had a super trip planned to Las Vegas.  All paid for.  When my wonderful mother was terminally diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given 6 weeks to live, I cancelled.  Some of my trip was refundable.  Some was not.   All trip expenses are refundable if one chooses to insure with "cancel for any reason coverage".   To not is to self-insure and take the loss.  What I lost was on me.  Not because some corporation was not sympathetic.  

Edited by DMH15
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ray98 said:

Some things in life we can attribute to 'tough luck'.  Sometimes it is our decisions such as when a wife hides a pregnancy for 2 months which pushes a cruise contract into penalty phase when you didn't purchase insurance to cover the unexpected.

Don't think the wife "hiding" a pregnancy for 2 months pushed into cruise contract penalty it was the fact that the DUE date of the birth fell into the non travel clause. 

6 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

That's not one better.  There still exists this thread with a negative title.  Did you ask the mods here to change the title of this thread?  Did you delete posts in other venues?

9 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Thanks Tarps14 for understanding the totality of the circumstances. To the individuals that are only posting negative comments, I hope that you never have a perfect storm situation that cost you cash, or the chance to make memories with your families but I am sure you would just let it roll of your shoulders. 

Just to let ya'll know I was contacted by a NCL representative who agreed with me and proceeded to switch our reservations with little issue after reviewing the case and notes as well as listening to the previous five hours of calls where I was told things would happen to only have someone else contradict them. They booked us on a different ship leaving 1 day earlier and thanked me for bringing up the issues and even offered a extra promotion which I denied and they hope that I will continue to be a loyal NCL cruiser. At least there are some fantastic supervisors hiding around their corporate office. 

I am so happy this has worked out for you, enjoy your cruise .:classic_smile:

I can see by many of the responses that I am one of those people to whom these types of things would leave me less stressed.

1. I always use a travel agent and make my communications to the cruise line through her. It eliminates the chances of getting different answers from different employees of the cruise line. The travel agent works for me, not the company.

2. I always spend the big bucks with travel insurance and have used it once with satisfying results.

8 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

First I do understand the wife wanting to keep things quiet for awhile - she may not have been aware of the implications regarding the cruise and cancellation fees etc.

I would also like to strangle the NCL reps who said she would be a day over - it is almost impossible to tell the exact day of getting pregnant - their policy is

What if I'm pregnant?
Norwegian will make every effort to accommodate you, providing you have not entered the 24th week of pregnancy when the cruise ends. Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

So they want to make sure you are not in your last trimester when the cruise ends - so you have around 16 weeks to complete the cruise - so getting down to a day is simply being petty.

to the OP - I am glad you got this straightened out - too bad you had to go to the court of social media to do it.

Enjoy your cruise

The one day over is with the legal department, I can’t fault NCL with that, it’s pretty cut and dry. It’s the same with sailing with an infant, the birth day is the birthday. 

10 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Well done and congrats on the little one heading your way.  Don't let the reactive social media types get you down.  Enjoy the time with your family and the discussions about the new Grandbaby on the way!

11 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

They switch us and my parents, so it was a relief that I could call my parents and tell them that I did not have to show them "How to work the uber thing" The funny thing was that the supervisor said it was remarkable that I remained calm and respectful to all the different reps I had to deal with. 

Thanks for reporting back.  It was the RIGHT solution for NCL.  We're talking about ONE DAY here and you were certainly accommodating asking to have your cruise switched to an earlier cruise AND pay the difference in fares AND accept cost for airfare and hotel changes.  For all the "letter of the law" folks, there's also such a thing as common sense.

Seems like the crux of the issue wasn't you, it was your parents on a different reservation #, because NCL was willing to switch YOU, but didn't have the common sense (or trust) to accept your explanation about your parents.  That's where common sense comes in - why would anyone lie about a second reservation - absolutely no reason to.  

You are to be commended for  your patience with the NCL reps, and for your persistence in hanging in there until there was a fair solution.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JBorowicz83 said:

Thanks Tarps14 for understanding the totality of the circumstances. To the individuals that are only posting negative comments, I hope that you never have a perfect storm situation that cost you cash, or the chance to make memories with your families but I am sure you would just let it roll of your shoulders

We had a cruise booked and my parents were also sailing on the same cruise.  We were excited to spend time with them as we don't see them very often.  We had a surprise pregnancy about 7 weeks before our sail date.  My doctor would not approve me going on this cruise because of the ports and the Zika virus.  Well, that sucks because we were really looking forward to hanging out with my parents.  The safety of our unborn child and myself was more important than any cruise (especially with the # of losses we've had in the past).  We searched for some other cruise options and found a TA on the Breakaway and my doctor said that was great.  I called NCL, knowing full well that we were already past final payment and explained the situation to them.  Luckily, they were very kind (it helps when you're nice to them) and switched our cruise to the TA.  I asked kindly if they could switch my parents to that as well but because they were on their own reservation and our 'circumstance' didn't directly affect them, they said no.  Fine.  I was totally fine with it because I know the policies.  I didn't get irate, I didn't ask for a supervisor, I didn't badmouth them to friends and co-workers.  It is what it is.  Sadly, a few weeks later we had a miscarriage again.  I called and inquired about moving back to our original sailing with my parents but they were unable to accommodate our request.  Again, it is what it is.  We lost money (more expensive airfare from London back home, etc.) but that's just a part of traveling.  So, yes, we did 'just let it roll of our shoulders.'  I'd pay 1,000 times the extra money it cost us if we could have had a healthy, full-term pregnancy so just count your blessings.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

When is the cruise?  Isn't there time to buy cruise insurance with a cancel for any reason policy?

You cannot insure agaisnt something that you know is going to happen that is called fraud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erdoran said:

Thanks for reporting back.  It was the RIGHT solution for NCL.  We're talking about ONE DAY here and you were certainly accommodating asking to have your cruise switched to an earlier cruise AND pay the difference in fares AND accept cost for airfare and hotel changes.  For all the "letter of the law" folks, there's also such a thing as common sense.

Seems like the crux of the issue wasn't you, it was your parents on a different reservation #, because NCL was willing to switch YOU, but didn't have the common sense (or trust) to accept your explanation about your parents.  That's where common sense comes in - why would anyone lie about a second reservation - absolutely no reason to.  

You are to be commended for  your patience with the NCL reps, and for your persistence in hanging in there until there was a fair solution.

The problem with "common sense" is where to draw the line? Ok 1 day, then 5 days maybe a month 1 month? Once you draw a line in the sand you need to stick to it or you will be moving that line all the time. Then sometime in the future the decision is made to hold the line and now you are the bad guy because everyone else did it and you now can't. Rules and policies were put in place for a reason. My biggest problem is that people use social media to get what they want not by following the process. Not sure if his complaints were heard or someone within NCL decided to bend the rules for them. 

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The one day over is with the legal department, I can’t fault NCL with that, it’s pretty cut and dry. It’s the same with sailing with an infant, the birth day is the birthday. 

By that statement you would have to know the exact day of conception - how likely is that. Drs. can at best approximate due dates to a week  - not to a day.

It sounds like in general - NCL does not want a pregnant lady in their third trimester onboard - which is very understandable,

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

By that statement you would have to know the exact day of conception - how likely is that. Drs. can at best approximate due dates to a week  - not to a day.

It sounds like in general - NCL does not want a pregnant lady in their third trimester onboard - which is very understandable,

Of course it’s not exact, but the cruise line will go with what is written by the doctor. I’ve been pregnant four times, there were times I knew the due date was off, but it didn’t change. I remember my doctor couldn’t induce me before a certain date in order for it to be approved by the insurance company. If your due date puts you one day after you can sail, they are going to go by that date, it’s an insurance liability.

https://www.*****.com/pressrelease010810.php

Edited by mjkacmom

On 1/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, tarps14 said:

Oh come on people.  Take a step back (and a deep breath) and have just a wee bit of a heart here.  I can certainly understand the OP's frustration.  But to blame the wife for keeping the pregnancy to herself for just a bit?  That's beyond heartless.  I give her all kinds of credit for thinking of her husband and not wanting to get him all excited if the pregnancy wasn't going to succeed.  I watched my husband go through the heartbreak of a miscarriage and if I could have prevented that I would have done everything in my power to.  

To the OP, talk with your OB and ask them to do a due-date confirmation ultrasound.  It's possible that could shift the due date just enough to make this trip work. 

Please, though, do not let the frustrations of the trip take away from the joy and excitement you have to look forward to.  In the grand scheme of things, this blessing is what you'll remember, not the trip that was lost.  Congratulations and I wish you all the luck in the world!

Amen. That pile on was one of the worst I have seen (and there are so many). This couple really didn’t deserve to be drawn and quartered. 

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is oldish, but if anyone is looking for their pregnancy policy they may stumble here... this is what Norwegian Cruise said to us for our August 2nd cruise “Thank you, your fit for travel letter from your doctor (with an estimated due date of 11/30/2019) has been received.  Since you will only be 23 weeks 6 days pregnant at the conclusion of the cruise we are able to clear you for travel.  Please carry the original doctor’s note to the pier.”   this is how they do their math! 

• Haha 1