Select Dining for Diabetic

arsenalboy

I am type 2 and my worry is not about menus.

I have today booked a cruise on Silhouette for May this year ex Southampton. The cruise is virtually full and I got the last C2 concierge cabin left. We booked direct with Celebrity and was told that Select dining was not an option as it was oversubscribed and we were given a fixed time of 2045.

Now whilst eating that late does not in any way put me in danger it will not do my sugar levels much good either. My routine would see me eating circa 1930.

I accept the MDR is not the only venue but it is part of the cruise experience.

Does anybody know whether they would normally take pity on a diabetic and allow Select dining?

I would contact the Celebrity Special Needs department and explain the situation.  At minimum I would suspect they would put you on the  waitlist (maybe with priority) for select.  If that doesn't work then when you get onboard immediately go to the dinning room (which you probably will for lunch anyway) and speak to them to request a change to select dining.  Generally they can sort these things out by the second night.

My father is type 2 also. We got a letter from his doctor to help him get early dining. In the end he did not need the letter. The 1st thing we did when we got on the ship was go to the MDR and talk to the maitre d. He was very helpful and go us a table.

As a fellow diabetic I would suggest when you get on board go to dining room and talk to head waiter about your situation, I'm sure things can be worked out. If you prefer start changing you dining times at home a couple of weeks before your cruise to  better match your dining times on the ship. I have never had a problem with meal times on my 28 cruises.

Have a great time.

J.

I'm type 2 diabetic and we had late dining on our cruise last year (20:30) and it was fine..... we found that time suited us better because we would get a drink at the bar about 6pm, then go to the show at 7pm and have another drink after the show before going to dinner at 20:30

7 hours ago, arsenalboy said:

I am type 2 and my worry is not about menus.

I have today booked a cruise on Silhouette for May this year ex Southampton. The cruise is virtually full and I got the last C2 concierge cabin left. We booked direct with Celebrity and was told that Select dining was not an option as it was oversubscribed and we were given a fixed time of 2045.

Now whilst eating that late does not in any way put me in danger it will not do my sugar levels much good either. My routine would see me eating circa 1930.

I accept the MDR is not the only venue but it is part of the cruise experience.

Does anybody know whether they would normally take pity on a diabetic and allow Select dining?

When I booked by cruise two months ago I was told Select Dining was completely full.  I asked to be put on a waiting list.  We sail on Saturday and I checked our account and see we have been given Select Dining and we are all set.  Call Celebrity or your TA and ask to be put on the waiting list for Select Dining.  I am also Diabetic but that was not why I wanted Select Dining, I like the options if being flexible with our dining times.  Have a great cruise! 

Edited by Mparis184

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

If you can’t change, will a snack around 5:00 work, I know that’s what mum does if she has to eat late and it works great for her.

The added problem I have is the constant time changes. So we have a 14 day cruise from UK to Baltic and in relatively quick succession we will be +1, +2 and +3 for St P in Russia, back down to +2, +1 and 0.

We have done this cruise before and I remember in St Petersburg we had to be out for 0700 for the start of tours. This meant getting up at 0500 for breakfast and getting ready, but this was 0200 UK time which our bodies were used to a few days prior!

Now whilst our minds can adjust to this my sugar levels cannot and that is why I would like to constantly vary our evening meal times to compensate.

I am sure as everyone says that my concerns are unfounded and speaking to Celebrity again about this will get it sorted. I looked at the special needs forms as suggested but this seems geared to those with mobility issues.

Thanks again for the comments

19 minutes ago, arsenalboy said:

The added problem I have is the constant time changes. So we have a 14 day cruise from UK to Baltic and in relatively quick succession we will be +1, +2 and +3 for St P in Russia, back down to +2, +1 and 0.

We have done this cruise before and I remember in St Petersburg we had to be out for 0700 for the start of tours. This meant getting up at 0500 for breakfast and getting ready, but this was 0200 UK time which our bodies were used to a few days prior!

Now whilst our minds can adjust to this my sugar levels cannot and that is why I would like to constantly vary our evening meal times to compensate.

I am sure as everyone says that my concerns are unfounded and speaking to Celebrity again about this will get it sorted. I looked at the special needs forms as suggested but this seems geared to those with mobility issues.

Thanks again for the comments

Actually, that form is for ANY special needs or at least the form I have ever completed for X concerning my dietary preferences.

Yes, a good part of the form is about mobility issues, yet there is at least one section where one can indicate ANY special requirements needed to accommodate the sailing... i.e. dietary is one of these issues which can be indicated, along with any allergies which they need to know about in advance for some planning.

Does completing this form always work out, no, yet it is a start to notify X of any potential issues one can have aboard.

Since you know about time differences on your next sailing, you can make reservations in the MDR to accommodate accordingly. First night and second night, I would recommend that you make them 30 minutes before you want to eat because of the mad rush, usually IME.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Since you know about time differences on your next sailing, you can make reservations in the MDR to accommodate accordingly. First night and second night, I would recommend that you make them 30 minutes before you want to eat because of the mad rush, usually IME.

bon voyage

But that is the problem and as I said at the beginning of the thread, Select dining is full and I have been allocated a fixed time of 2045 each evening. Well that is how it stands at present!

We diabetics have challenges when traveling. I have an insulin pump and have to change my insulin dosage often while traveling and eat more or less depending on what my sugar readings are and have to check my blood more frequently.  Traveling is stressful and that also effects sugar readings.    I always have a candy bar with me because I can have sudden sugar drops frequently.  I bring juice to the cabin every night with me just in case I need a sugar boost in the middle of the night.  Food is always available on the ship so it is easy to adjust your eating times accordingly.  

Have a great cruise and I know everything will work out well for you.

Marion

• Thanks 1

They will accommodate you please don't worry about it.  If you do not get assigned to SD before you get on the ship they will take care of you once you board and talk to the dining staff.  Go to the dining room as soon as you get on the ship.  They have changed my dining many times and I have never had any problems.  

Marion

8 minutes ago, Mparis184 said:

They will accommodate you please don't worry about it.  If you do not get assigned to SD before you get on the ship they will take care of you once you board and talk to the dining staff.  Go to the dining room as soon as you get on the ship.  They have changed my dining many times and I have never had any problems.  

Marion

thanks !

Glad it worked out.  I am Type 2...

we tried late dining a few times when we started cruising,  but ended up eating  huge snacks / sushi at the buffet  around 5 :30 to tide us over...partially ruined appetite  and also too much food combined with dinner,, bad for blood sugar..

Early seating  became our choice,  and now we have been in BLU since it opened,,,both work fine with my meal planning,

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, arsenalboy said:

All sorted, I escalated my concerns with Celebrity UK and they apparently talked with Miami. I have now received an updated invoice showing Select dining. Didn't expect them to sort it that quick.😃

Fabulous one less thing to worry about.  Have a great cruise!  We sail tomorrow on the Equinox. 

I always take a big baggie of walnuts in case my reading is above range after dinner; a handful or two will bring it down pretty quick.  Maybe you could take walnuts or almonds for that reason and use as a snack if you need it.  Cheese will do the same thing.

Good luck.