Use of travel kettle in cabin

tennistilly

Hi, Just about to start packing :) Last time I cruised with Princess there was no kettle in cabin. Are there any restrictions on use of a travel kettle. I know there is room service but in the night I would rather make a drink than have to order it in. Just a personal preference. Thanks for any advice .

1 hour ago, tennistilly said:

Hi, Just about to start packing :) Last time I cruised with Princess there was no kettle in cabin. Are there any restrictions on use of a travel kettle. I know there is room service but in the night I would rather make a drink than have to order it in. Just a personal preference. Thanks for any advice .

Typically, the wording of the ticket contract for nearly all the main cruise lines states that anything that has a heating element, other than hair care appliances is not allowed.

AFIK kettles are only provided in cabins on Asian cruises.  Princess has VERY strict rules about electrical things like that and plug adapters with surge protection.  I suspect if you try to bring your own aboard it will be confiscated.

If you are not on one of the Asian cruises... You can bring a thermos and get very hot water from the buffet and bring it back to your cabin. Just please, please, please use safe handling procedures if filling your own thermos or water bottle.

Oddly  -they were put on the Sapphire Princess in Europe last summer (after my cruise). Though the ship does sail to Asia. I read somewhere they put it in the cabins due to the number of British on these sailings.

I agree with the others - if the cruise line doesn't provide it, they won't allow them. Best thing to do is call for room service.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Oddly  -they were put on the Sapphire Princess in Europe last summer (after my cruise). Though the ship does sail to Asia. I read somewhere they put it in the cabins due to the number of British on these sailings.

I agree with the others - if the cruise line doesn't provide it, they won't allow them. Best thing to do is call for room service.

Even when I was on the Diamond out of Singapore- I don't remember tea kettles being available.

Here is the press release from Princess from last year about the kettles being installed in all cabins on the Sapphire Princess:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8815

They are not dangerous - at least the ones that turn off. Princess just wants control of the model to make sure they meet specs. 

I believe other lines such as P&O have them.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I had to go to 'Luggage Jail" last Sept. to claim my suitcase because they suspected a Kettle in the suitcase. The security guard and I stood there while he x-rayed the suitcase and nothing there, guess they thought something looked funny. He stated "No kettles allowed".

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

We always order tea from room service on the first day.  We keep the carafe that they bring with the hot water and I go to the buffet to replenish the hot water, tea bags and sugar whenever we need it.

That's a great idea!  I'll have to try that.

I wouldn't want to waste packing space to pack an electric kettle!

Most likely it will be confiscated.

Tai

The safety letter from Princess states “The use of extension cords with surge protection devices is prohibited in staterooms, as is the use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters as well as irons. Please do not bring this type of equipment with you”.

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

In section 13 of the Passage Contract it refers passengers to a complete list of prohibited items:  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

There it states “Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark”.

The safety letter indicates that thermostatically controlled kettles would be allowed but are not shown in the list of non surge protected devices allowed.  I’ve never needed a kettle but the reason for people having different experiences could be the bottom line giving shipboard personnel the authority to decide what’s allowed.  It’s the same thing with what the TSA allows when their website says it’s allowed but individual agents make the final determination about taking anything through security.

2 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

When we sailed from the UK they had kettles in the rooms.

If you don't bring your kettle, ask your steward for one, they might keep them in storage.

I have heard that some people have gotten them when asked for.

I believe the only ship from Southampton this was done on was Sapphire Princess. Though kettles have appeared on Princess' Asia sailings as well, we have no clue if the OP is booked on one of the very few Princess ships that would have a room kettle in inventory--if their cruise is in North America the answer will be no.

Up until a couple years ago the 'Prohibited Items' list on the Princess website did make an exception for kettles (not coffemakers--most people from non-teamaking parts of the world incorrectly use the terms interchangeably) that were thermostatically controlled with auto shut-off. This is no longer the case. All are banned and will most likely be confiscated if found. 

And referring to the post above, the Passage Contract states that the 'Prohibited Items' list from the online FAQs is the final arbiter. And as that list states that all kettles are banned I would not regard any contrary information as reliable.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

(bullet point no. 26 under 'Prohibited Items')

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

5 minutes ago, fishywood said:

I believe the only ship from Southampton this was done on was Sapphire Princess. Though kettles have appeared on Princess' Asia sailings as well, we have no clue if the OP is booked on one of the very few Princess ships that would have a room kettle in inventory--if their cruise is in North America the answer will be no.

I know they have also provided kettles on Sun Class ships previously but not in North America.

11 minutes ago, fishywood said:

matches

toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

I always think this is funny, how they list toasters and cooking appliances as being restricted😊

Who would bring a toaster or some other cooking appliances with them on a cruise? 🤔

I think a travel kettle would be quite common on a holiday, I know my mother would bring one & I remember my grandma bringing a heating element with her. You used to put the element in a cup of water and it would boil the water. I even remember her cooking boiled egs with it😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

I always think this is funny, how they list toasters and cooking appliances as being restricted😊

Who would bring a toaster or some other cooking appliances with them on a cruise? 🤔

HA!  You must not frequent Cruise Critic very much then.   😉