On Getting Married Aboard the Princess without getting the package - is that possible

AusQueen

I have a couple of relatives who will be visiting Australia next summer and are toying with the idea of getting married on the ship - Majestic Princess.  And because they dont really have any guests with them ( except my husband and I - who will be joining them on this cruise around Australia), they told me they don't want to get any of the wedding packages being offered.  Has anyone tied the knot aboard the Princess?   How did you go about it? Am interested hearing from anyone who did not get the package.  Would appreciate any help - including the documents they would need being tourists, etc.  And what can we do in advance for them.  Thanks heaps.

Edited by AusQueen
Error

I know there was a call from the British government to change the law to allow UK Captains to perform weddings, to my knowledge that hasn't happened, and since the Majestic is UK flagged, it won't be allowed.  There are only a few countries that allow Captains to perform weddings, Bermuda, Malta, and the Bahamas, if I remember right.  You would have to be on a ship flagged in those countries, and even the Bahamas leaves it up to the individual Captain to voluntarily obtain the permit to perform weddings.

Another option is to marry legally before/after the cruise and then do a renewal of vows ceremony on the ship.  Much less expensive, lovely service performed by the captain, photographer there, can have guests.   

My son and daughter in law were married on Princess a few years ago.  They spoke with an events coordinator to tailor a ceremony just for them.  It was very reasonable.  You can expect, since you are using the Chapel, that there is some cost associated no matter how downsized.  They had a pianist, all the flowers, a photographer (with no obligation to buy any pictures) and the associated paperwork that needed to be signed by the Captain, them, and the witnesses.  We did have a small wedding party (about 15 people or so) and paid a small fee to lease a room for the reception along with food and a cake.  They even provided a DJ.  It was a very reasonable cost, Princess took care of everything, and we all had a blast.  To top it all off, they had the ceremony the same night as the first formal night and champagne fountain.  Our DIL was first to pour the champagne and was still in her wedding dress.  It was quite an incredible and memorable day/cruise!!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

My son and daughter in law were married on Princess a few years ago.  They spoke with an events coordinator to tailor a ceremony just for them.  It was very reasonable.  You can expect, since you are using the Chapel, that there is some cost associated no matter how downsized.  They had a pianist, all the flowers, a photographer (with no obligation to buy any pictures) and the associated paperwork that needed to be signed by the Captain, them, and the witnesses.  We did have a small wedding party (about 15 people or so) and paid a small fee to lease a room for the reception along with food and a cake.  They even provided a DJ.  It was a very reasonable cost, Princess took care of everything, and we all had a blast.  To top it all off, they had the ceremony the same night as the first formal night and champagne fountain.  Our DIL was first to pour the champagne and was still in her wedding dress.  It was quite an incredible and memorable day/cruise!!

I'm assuming this was on one of Princess' Bermudan flag vessels, as their law allows the Captain to perform the ceremony.  However, the Majestic, Royal, Golden, Diamond and Sapphire Princesses are all flagged in the UK, and therefore not able to do this.

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm assuming this was on one of Princess' Bermudan flag vessels, as their law allows the Captain to perform the ceremony.  However, the Majestic, Royal, Golden, Diamond and Sapphire Princesses are all flagged in the UK, and therefore not able to do this.

That is really interesting. Who would have thunk?

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I know there was a call from the British government to change the law to allow UK Captains to perform weddings, to my knowledge that hasn't happened, and since the Majestic is UK flagged, it won't be allowed.  There are only a few countries that allow Captains to perform weddings, Bermuda, Malta, and the Bahamas, if I remember right.  You would have to be on a ship flagged in those countries, and even the Bahamas leaves it up to the individual Captain to voluntarily obtain the permit to perform weddings.

What legal status does a wedding have if you're Australian and a German Captain one Maltese flagged ship proclaims you to be married?  I'd think at least the Captain would need some kind of permit from Australia?

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

What legal status does a wedding have if you're Australian and a German Captain one Maltese flagged ship proclaims you to be married?  I'd think at least the Captain would need some kind of permit from Australia?

What if two Dutch folk got married in Holland and then emigrated to Australia?  Would they need to get remarried in Australia, or would the pastor in Holland need to apply for a permit from Australia?  Nope.  As long as there is a legal document from the country where they were married, the government in Australia would recognize the marriage.  Remember, on the ship, even in port, you are on sovereign territory of the flag state, and flag state law prevails (except in cases of hazard to the port).

I'm a US citizen, and married in the US, does that make my marriage invalid in Holland?  A friend, many years ago, from the US married a Scots girl in Scotland, and their marriage is legal in the US.  Would a pastor in Holland have to prove citizenship to perform marriages?

Edited by chengkp75

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

What if two Dutch folk got married in Holland and then emigrated to Australia?  Would they need to get remarried in Australia, or would the pastor in Holland need to apply for a permit from Australia?  Nope.  As long as there is a legal document from the country where they were married, the government in Australia would recognize the marriage.  Remember, on the ship, even in port, you are on sovereign territory of the flag state, and flag state law prevails (except in cases of hazard to the port).

I'm a US citizen, and married in the US, does that make my marriage invalid in Holland?  A friend, many years ago, from the US married a Scots girl in Scotland, and their marriage is legal in the US.  Would a pastor in Holland have to prove citizenship to perform marriages?

Not sure what you mean by "pastor". In Holland you actually have 2 marriages when you're religious. The Church marries you, which has no legal meaning or restrictions whatsoever. After that you need to go to a public servant who marries you again, this time it does have consequences (responsibility for children, inheritance, you name it). It seems a bit weird that any official stamp from a foreign country counts as official for your home country. Like a diploma to work as a pharmacist in the US does not automatically allow you to be a pharmacist in Holland. 

For example, in The Bahamas it's not possible for a same-sex couples to marry. In Malta it is. Could a gay couple from Nassau simply book a cruise on a Celebrity ship, flagged in Malta, and get married anyway with all legal consequences in the Bahamas? 

Edited by AmazedByCruising

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Not sure what you mean by "pastor". In Holland you actually have 2 marriages when you're religious. The Church marries you, which has no legal meaning or restrictions whatsoever. After that you need to go to a public servant who marries you again, this time it does have consequences (responsibility for children, inheritance, you name it). It seems a bit weird that any official stamp from a foreign country counts as official for your home country. Like a diploma to work as a pharmacist in the US does not automatically allow you to be a pharmacist in Holland. 

For example, in The Bahamas it's not possible for a same-sex couples to marry. In Malta it is. Could a gay couple from Nassau simply book a cruise on a Celebrity ship, flagged in Malta, and get married anyway with all legal consequences in the Bahamas? 

Unlike the US, where a marriage is considered legal if it is legal in another country, I see that in Holland you need to "register" your foreign marriage license with the Dutch government.  I'm sure there are variations across the spectrum on these requirements in each country.  If the "conditions" of the marriage in the foreign country violate the laws of the country where the people wish to live (your Bahamian same sex couple married in Malta), then the registration would not happen, just as it would not be considered legal in many states in the US.  Basically, if the marriage license from a foreign country does not violate the laws of your country, then the marriage is considered legal in the "home" country of the couple.

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unlike the US, where a marriage is considered legal if it is legal in another country, I see that in Holland you need to "register" your foreign marriage license with the Dutch government.  I'm sure there are variations across the spectrum on these requirements in each country.  If the "conditions" of the marriage in the foreign country violate the laws of the country where the people wish to live (your Bahamian same sex couple married in Malta), then the registration would not happen, just as it would not be considered legal in many states in the US.  Basically, if the marriage license from a foreign country does not violate the laws of your country, then the marriage is considered legal in the "home" country of the couple.

The "register" part for the Dutch seems to be just as much work as the most minimalistic
state marriage (a "desk marriage") you can have which is similar to getting a new drivers license. (Except that the latter needs two appointments). It's interesting that the US simply assumes you're married whenever other country said so. 

Looks like you have to look this data up country by country, but both the UK and Australia will recognize a marriage performed in a foreign country as long as it meets the laws of that country.  And, yes, from what I see, registering an overseas marriage in Holland is basically seeing that the certificate/license meets the laws of that country.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

At the time Princess changed the  Country of Registry for a few of their ships, we were told on board the ship we were on that it was so the Captain could perform marriages. As you say, he/she cannot on vessels flagged in the UK.

If the couple that the OP mentioned want to have an unusual wedding, maybe they could consider planning a ceremony while they are in Australia. I know some people have had their wedding when their cruise calls into either Fiji or Noumea. From the original post, it looks like the cruise is literally around Australia. It would require planning, but every wedding does. A few ideas would be a wedding in Sydney (the local Council would have a website showing where weddings can be held - maybe a park fronting the harbour). What about on Cable Beach (Broome) at sunset. That would be magical. They would need to find a Marriage Celebrant in the city where they want the ceremony. Most weddings in Australia are conducted by a Marriage Celebrant. They are registered with the government and legally able to perform the ceremony. Actually, a ceremony would not be required legally - just the paperwork which they organise and that the participants sign.

Best wishes to the couple.

34 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Too many Love Boat episodes?

Our first years of cruising  were always  a week Caribbean trip. We were always seeing weddings. Now that we are taking longer cruises and have time to go to distant lands, I'm thinking maybe we haven't seen any nuptials on those voyages. Hmmm. . . . 

10 hours ago, AusQueen said:

I have a couple of relatives who will be visiting Australia next summer and are toying with the idea of getting married on the ship -

???  These are relatives getting married?  Do you mean they are already married and looking to renew their vows?

I have seen where they have done renewal of marriage vows en masse in the Piazza without requiring a package from the participants.

While acknowledging chengkp75's knowledge and experience, I would suggest calling Princess and ask to speak with a Wedding Coordinator.  Princess has many options for weddings both onboard and ashore.  For something like this, I suggest contacting the cruise line directly.

18 minutes ago, RNGALNG said:

Our first years of cruising  were always  a week Caribbean trip. We were always seeing weddings. Now that we are taking longer cruises and have time to go to distant lands, I'm thinking maybe we haven't seen any nuptials on those voyages. Hmmm. . . . 

We used to see a lot too........

From what I have seen the price has gone through the roof for an onboard wedding package compared to what it was years ago.

2 hours ago, RNGALNG said:

I guess you are never too old to learn something new. I just thought that the captain could marry anyone onboard as long as they were out to sea. . . .

So true...you learn one everyday.  Wow...thanks to everyone for their inputs.  I will now forward these to my relative. We thought it was as simple as having the captain perform it once they have competed the paper work.  I dont think  they will opt for the package as there would only be 5 of us in this cruise.   

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Too many Love Boat episodes?

LOL.  My husband literally watches those  things every time we are on the Princess.   It is funny how I even remember some of those episodes from the mid 70s.   We thought Captain Stubing  could perform the rites just like that :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

While acknowledging chengkp75's knowledge and experience, I would suggest calling Princess and ask to speak with a Wedding Coordinator.  Princess has many options for weddings both onboard and ashore.  For something like this, I suggest contacting the cruise line directly.

I will call Princess on their behalf in the coming days.  We all thought it would be easy for them to have it on the ship. Oh well we will see.

2 minutes ago, AusQueen said:

I will call Princess on their behalf in the coming days.  We all thought it would be easy for them to have it on the ship. Oh well we will see.

As 'chengkp75' said - not on the Majestic Princess because that ship is registered in the UK. Ask Princess anyway, but it is better to be prepared. Most of us have had experience with the call centre operators not being fully informed. They might just say "There is no wedding chapel on the Majestic", when a chapel isn't a necessity. I have seen a few weddings on the Sea and Sun Princess, neither of which have wedding chapels. Consider a land option for the wedding.