TSA work stoppage

Bee Guy

Anyone else worried about missing a cruise due to government shutdown causing a TSA work stoppage?  We are booked on a 2/2/19 cruise out of New Orleans, and are checking out bus schedules just in case.    Hate the thought of a bus ride that long, but I also hate the thought of missing this cruise.  I need some warm weather for a few days.

Just go really early to the airport.  Biggest concern, my wife is going on a cruise out of Tampa in Mar.  She has an 11:45 flight home.  I'm more concerned about Customs delays AND TSA coming home.  Should be plenty of time... but who knows now?  You're smart to have a backup plan.

Edited by papaflamingo

3 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

I understand that a TSA strike would be illegal.   Is that true?

Yes, federal workers cannot strike. We're flying 2 days early and plan to be early at the airport so a little concerned maybe but not worried about the cruise.

We have a cruise out of Miami next Thursday but have long standing plans to fly out on Monday.  Our flight is at 6am, counter and TSA open at 4am.  We will be at the airport before 4am....just to be safe.  Even with airline FF status and TSA Pre we will just to extra early to be safe.

TSA and other government workers are not allowed to strike but currently there is a bit of an increase of Blue Flu.  Workers calling in sick and that makes staffing the check points a problem.  

56 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Federal workers can, however, call in sick

Yes.  They can call in sick.  Also, the ones who remain on the unpaid job can "slow walk" people through checkpoints if they want, doing more-than-usually-thorough checks, clogging up the lanes.   They can also do less-than-the-usual-poor-job of checking people if they want, keeping the wait times down, but as pilots and FAs say, making things less safe.

I understand that a TSA strike would be illegal.   Is that true?

There is a word for forcing people to work without pay. Slavery. Outlawed in the 13th amendment. I think the constitution trumps any law against a strike or that they must report to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is a word for forcing people to work without pay. Slavery. Outlawed in the 13th amendment. I think the constitution trumps any law against a strike or that they must report to work.

They will get paid.  Not in a timely manner, but they will get paid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/16/government-shutdown-2019-furloughed-workers-receive-back-pay/2596671002/

Edited by Bee Guy

You expect workers to get up and go to work wondering how long their food will last?

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You expect workers to get up and go to work wondering how long their food will last?

I don't want to argue politics here.  I go to twitter for that.  I come here to talk about cruising.

• Like 1

I don't want to argue politics here.  I go to twitter for that.  I come here to talk about cruising.

We are discussing cruises. I am on Harmony of the Seas and wondering what effect the government shutdown will have on my return home from this cruise. I would not blame a TSA worker for not showing up for work. They might be out driving an Uber to feed their family or pay their rent. I would blame politics.

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We are discussing cruises. I am on Harmony of the Seas and wondering what effect the government shutdown will have on my return home from this cruise. I would not blame a TSA worker for not showing up for work. They might be out driving an Uber to feed their family or pay their rent. I would blame politics.

I hope you enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2