Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Looks a lot more stylish than most ugly rearends nowadays.Someone on another board mentioned a gin distillery,is that right.

Absolutely correct. Iona's own gin will be distilled, bottled and labelled on board.  According to P&O this will be the first gin distillery at sea.

They have linked up with Salcombe Gin, and will produce the same gin to distribute across the fleet.  Plus they will have limited edition gins for different places the ships go to.

And you will be able to buy the gins to take off the ships.

Edited by jaydee6969

A small update from Meyer - Iona azipod installation.  Translation of Instagram - Meyer shipyard After the successful installation of the pod drive at #iona for #pandocruises, there is a little strengthening. The Iona receives two pods with a total output of 37 megawatts

Instagram link - Azipod

Screenshot - 17_10_2019 , 09_24_11.jpg

26 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

A small update from Meyer - Iona azipod installation.  Translation of Instagram - Meyer shipyard After the successful installation of the pod drive at #iona for #pandocruises, there is a little strengthening. The Iona receives two pods with a total output of 37 megawatts

Instagram link - Azipod

Screenshot - 17_10_2019 , 09_24_11.jpg

Thanks for this. I wonder what they mean by installation? I was under the impression that they don’t actually attach the azipods to ships at Papenburg, because when they have to float Iona down the river, it is too shallow.

10 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Thanks for this. I wonder what they mean by installation? I was under the impression that they don’t actually attach the azipods to ships at Papenburg, because when they have to float Iona down the river, it is too shallow.

They are installed at Papenburg.  The build video of AidaNova shows the azipods and blades installed prior to leaving the dry dock at Papenburg.  Also there is a photo of the Encore on Instagram from Meyer showing the dock being flooded with azipods visible.

18 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

They are installed at Papenburg.  The build video of AidaNova shows the azipods and blades installed prior to leaving the dry dock at Papenburg.  Also there is a photo of the Encore on Instagram from Meyer showing the dock being flooded with azipods visible.

Oh right! I just remember them being taken off when Celebrity Eclipse was floated down the river. Perhaps they are attached higher up on the hull somehow on ships these days, or perhaps the river has been dredged!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

A few more photos from Meyer Werft.

72560376_2394699374126480_3359837458349948928_o.jpg

72701045_2394699377459813_7983755788449480704_o.jpg

72416856_2394699357459815_9060155913737863168_o.jpg

Nice pictures. Interesting that Carnival are now going for azipods. I seem to remember being told on a “behind the scenes” tour a few years ago, that Carnival were moving away from them as they thought them too risky since they are more difficult to fix if they develop problems.

Having cruised on Solstice class ships,  several RCI ships as well as P&O's Arcadia all of which have Azipods, I am amazed that it has taken so long for P&O to recognise their benefits.  RCI's Independence of the seas can out manoeuvre any of the Grand and Royal class ships, it certainly seemed able to turn on the proverbial sixpence, and it is far more stable than poor old listing Ventura. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, Spike11 said:

Oh right! I just remember them being taken off when Celebrity Eclipse was floated down the river. Perhaps they are attached higher up on the hull somehow on ships these days, or perhaps the river has been dredged!

All ships have gone down the river on their own power with engines running. 

19 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

interesting.  I wonder what the paperwork will be like moving a distillery in and out of different territorial waters.  

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Mmmm.. docking in Dubai in particular might be problematic ( though probably unlikely).

On 10/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, Spike11 said:

Nice pictures. Interesting that Carnival are now going for azipods. I seem to remember being told on a “behind the scenes” tour a few years ago, that Carnival were moving away from them as they thought them too risky since they are more difficult to fix if they develop problems.

According to Wikipedia, all the Carnival Group Vista Class ships (including Arcadia) use Azipods...

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

According to Wikipedia, all the Carnival Group Vista Class ships (including Arcadia) use Azipods...

Certainly Arcadia has them. During my cruise to the USA and Canada on her two years ago, a discarded fishing net or something similar became entangled round one of them, causing no end of grief. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite a number of Carnivals own fleet now use azipods as their propulsion and steering systems, as do most of RCI's fleet and Celebrity's.

That interesting, I wasn’t aware Carnivals own fleet used azipods. I’ve been a fan of them since travelling on Celebrity Eclipse some years ago, as they seem to result in much less vibration when travelling at speed (though this doesn’t seem to happen on Arcadia!). I wonder why azipods weren’t used for the Royal Class ships?