Jamaica

CheersPkg4Us

Have never been to Ocho Rios, but Montego Bay is docked.  There is a little bit of shopping available right off the ship, but you'll have to take transportation to get to anything else.  There's nothing outside the pier that's walking distance.

Grand Cayman has a tender, but it's only about a 5 minute ride to the port.  The tenders hold a lot of people.

• Like 1

Depending on what you want to do....

we have made a friend , a tour guide whom we see each time we stay a week there....I think 8 times now!

we sent a coworker with him last week to go to seven mile beach.....if montego bay about an hour or so

but sooo worth it....from Ocho he would take you through the mountains probably .  

I will be getting off internet at 10 am for a seven day cruise.  Let me know if you want to get away from the masses!  Not sure what your interests are.  Will be back on tablet in seven days. Can give you his contact info 😎

kimberly

In Ochos  Rios we took the Bob Marley bus tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. You go through the mountains and see a part of Jamaica tourists rarely if ever see. The bus ride itself is thrilling as the driver beeps as he goes through every one lane curve. And then you get to the Bob Marley house. And of course there is the music!

7 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

Have never been to Ocho Rios, but Montego Bay is docked.  There is a little bit of shopping available right off the ship, but you'll have to take transportation to get to anything else.  There's nothing outside the pier that's walking distance.

Grand Cayman has a tender, but it's only about a 5 minute ride to the port.  The tenders hold a lot of people.

Is there any place to get a drink in the shopping area right off the ship in Montego Bay? I'm not thrilled about meeting "aggressive locals".

2 hours ago, dan-o 1 said:

Is there any place to get a drink in the shopping area right off the ship in Montego Bay? I'm not thrilled about meeting "aggressive locals".

In Ochos Rios ...Several bars very close to ship in shopping area. Also very close (walking distance) to Margaritaville which is a fun place with a pool and on beach to enjoy food and drinks. Its at the end of the shopping area you would walk through. In Montego Bay...Port area not nearly as built up...However there are souvenir shops and a restaurant and bar in port area

Edited by lcpagejr

Both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are pier ports.  Both have several good Resort for a Day availability.

In Ocho Rios, Dunns River Falls is a major attraction.  In MoBay, Doctor Caves Beach is an easy way to spend a pleasant afternoon.

I thought Ocho Rios was a bit shady my 1st trip there maybe 10 years ago.  My last two stops in Ocho Rios were just the opposite, the area has been cleaned up nicely.  Of course, I'm a Noo Yawker who can deal with all kinds of people, including those "aggressive" vendors wanting to sell weed, dates, etc.  "No no no I don't smoke it no more" or "One love, mon" with a smile goes a long way

In Ochi we use Marvyns Paradise Tours for just our family. We don't want to be on a bus with 100 people. They've been great to us. Last time we were there we ended up going to Dunn's River Falls and riding around and shopping and site seeing. We ate at John Crow's Tavern downtown which was a FANTASTIC lunch! 

9 hours ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

Been to both OR and MB. I don't care to ever return to OR, but MB is one of our favorite ports. The sole reason being the Hilton Rose Hall resort. It is absolutely amazing. We book through Resort for a Day. 

Thanks for the heads up, this place looks great!

Based on your recommendation we are going to visit there next month.

• 4 weeks later...

Been to both and prefer Ocho Rios.  If you have never done Dunns River Falls that is a must do.  We did a tour with Peat Taylor and we did the falls, drove up the mountains, stopped for jerk chicken and shopping.  It was a great half day.