Sleeping arrangement Dilemma

laginog

OK, Thanks for all of the replies.  We are sailing on the Ovation on July 26.  We both have wheelchairs.  There are no inside cabins near us,  and since we booked very early, the price for  an inside double is about what we paid for our balcony for 2.  Our niece is a VERY religious girl, of Mormon faith, & I just don’t want her to feel uncomfortable....although she is very appreciative of us taking her on her first cruise.  Our nephew is very laid back, has cruised with us before, and would be happy sleeping anywhere.  I guess I will start with explaining the situation to her, and see if I can tell if it would bother her.....because she probably wouldn’t tell me.  The mattress idea would work, as long as it  isn’t too heavy to transport in our luggage on the plane.  Thanks to all.  

• Like 1

If you're flying in a day early, you can check with your hotel, and ship the air mattress to the hotel. They will tell you how to address it and how early you can send it. The usps flat rate box might be the best option.  They are a bit heavy and will take up a bit of room. The post office will tell you what weight and cost you can use, and the boxes are free to take. So I would get a box of each size, make a notation on it of the cost, and plan on removing the "bed" from its original box, but dont unfold it. If you unfold it it wont fold back as tight. I use the flat rate boxes a lot. Remember to fill in any extra space with something, as it's space you have prepaid to utilize. 

I would like to see pics of the sofabed on the Ovation. If it is like a trundle, and one could sleep on the lower part & one on the higher part...that would work ok.  I haven’t talked to my niece yet, but I did talk to my nephew a bit ago.  He said he can & will sleep anywhere.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Buy the air mattress at Walmart when you get Seattle, then just throw it away when you leave, cost is only $25 or less for a twin and pump.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Twin-8-75-Classic-Downy-Inflatable-Airbed-Mattress/20449351

That would work well too!!   Might do that!!

7 hours ago, kerryincork said:

I will say when I was a young woman and was travelling cheap I shared many a bed with male friends or cousins. If the sofa bed is big enough, either sleep head to feet or use the over/under cover method. I naver had any problems.

Repeated in case the OP missed this suggestion. It would be a solution to one bed.

I take a klymit air mattress because of the hard mattress. It's only about 2 pounds and you can blow it up in a couple minutes. It rolls up into it's own pouch and is about the size of a men's shaving bag. https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-Static-Luxe-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B00J972O8Q/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=klymit&qid=1548009330&sr=8-6

1 minute ago, Hopetotravel said:

I take a klymit air mattress because of the hard mattress. It's only about 2 pounds and you can blow it up in a couple minutes. It rolls up into it's own pouch and is about the size of a men's shaving bag. https://www.amazon.ca/Klymit-Static-Luxe-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B00J972O8Q/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=klymit&qid=1548009330&sr=8-6

Never saw those before but they are sure pricey.

1 hour ago, laginog said:

That would work well too!!   Might do that!!

This would work for a smaller adult only.  30-inches wide is like "don't turn over during the night".  I know, I've slept on mattress pads that were 30" wide.

25 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Its just not a big deal to me. It’s a bed. Use it to sleep. Move on. 

My sons would consider it invading her personal space, as well as their own.  They would be very uncomfortable doing this, and they have both traveled and stayed in hostels, as well as co-ed dorms.  It's just not something they would be comfortable doing with another family member, except each other.

20 minutes ago, pcur said:

My sons would consider it invading her personal space, as well as their own.  They would be very uncomfortable doing this, and they have both traveled and stayed in hostels, as well as co-ed dorms.  It's just not something they would be comfortable doing with another family member, except each other.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Some see it as a big deal others do not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maddycat said:

Have the two young men share the sofa bed and your niece can use the air mattress.

What two young men are you talking about?

FOUR people in the room:

Disabled Adult Male
Disabled Adult Female
Young Female Niece
Young Male Nephew

4 hours ago, LovetheTXsun said:

If not, and you can afford it, the option of an additional interior room (if it comes available)  is an option.  Because your nephew is only 18, he is not “allowed” to be on his own ~ you will have to find a room that is either in very close proximity or “say” (reconfigure your booking showing...) that you or your husband is rooming with him.

This is incorrect.  

The age limitation is NOT APPLICABLE for members of the military, which had already been addressed before you wrote your comment.

I would order an affordable air mattress to be delivered to the hotel a couple days before arrival (with arrangements made with the hotel ahead of time for how to label it to be stored until their arrival).  

This way you don't have to pay to ship it to the hotel, and you don't have to pay for a taxi/Uber to go to the store to buy it and then back to the hotel again, and if you don't have enough baggage allowance to fly it home, you can just leave it with your cabin steward and you're only out a small amount.  

Bring some packing tape and you can just leave it in the original shipping box and just tape a luggage tag to it and have it delivered to the cabin!

Edited by brillohead

56 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They have already added the extra guest to their cabin.  They were looking for a cabin that had Pullman’s or a rollaway.

Oh, good. No problems then. Just need an inflatable mattress. 

You're an AWESOME aunt and uncle for taking the niece and nephew on a cruise. And an ALASKAN cruise at that. I'm sure you and the youngsters will figure it out. The go to Walmart in Seattle and purchase a blowup mattress sounds like what I would do. 

1 hour ago, laginog said:

I would like to see pics of the sofabed on the Ovation. If it is like a trundle, and one could sleep on the lower part & one on the higher part...that would work ok.  I haven’t talked to my niece yet, but I did talk to my nephew a bit ago.  He said he can & will sleep anywhere.  

laginog -- My understanding is that the sofa beds on Anthem are the trundle-like ones, so maybe they will indeed be the same on Ovation. If not, absolutely just get an air mattress. And if you order from Amazon (or maybe even Walmart/Target), you could probably just get free delivery to your pre-cruise hotel. Then just have to schlep back home (or toss). Very kind and generous of you to take both kids on cruise with you. (I'd personally never ask the niece to share a small sofa bed with the nephew; air mattress is too easy a preferable solution.)

Edited by zooma
typo

If it is a regular size sofa bed as on most of Royal’s ships, two adults won’t fit comfortably. I think it would be uncomfortable for even a “couple”.  It would be fine for maybe two small children, but not adults. 

If the Wal-Mart is close by, just buy it when you get there. Otherwise, I think the less expensive air mattress idea shipped to the hotel is the answer. Have a great cruise!