Doing things differently on Pursuit - a reflection

uktog

Pursuit is fine and based on my experience of another ship in the Azamara fleet she is better.  There are always going to be the odd occasions when things go wrong or are not to someone's preference.  That's just life. For me, Azamara  have got the very vast majority of things on pursuit right and I would happily return.

I do recognise some of the issues such as sitting tables for 2 close to larger groups is not going to work and when this was offered in the specialty restaurant I just turned the table down and said I would wait for a better table to become available. However, this seems to be a fleet issue rather than specific to Pursuit.

14 hours ago, 150edmiston said:

Nope cant agree with that all.  Calling individuals out on a public forum isn't a good idea.  The folks who are mentioned often have no way to retort or defend. 

Knee jerk wont sort this tho. We leave in 2 weeks for Buenos Aires.   Will happily report back as we progress.  David

Yes David, which is why I avoided doing that it my original post.  It’s not fair.  Obviously this is my opinion (and to some degree those travelling with me) and of course others will form their own impressions of their trip.  I can only compare my previous excellent experiences with this one.  Like eating in Prime C when the place was pretty much empty and being shown to a small table for four in the worst spot in the restaurant, ie right outside the swing door to the kitchen.  I asked to be moved and of course it was done without a problem, but I was unsure why they put us there in the first place when the waitress acknowledged it as a bad spot.  Or waiting twenty minutes for a glass of red wine in Prime C.  It was just lots of things that added up, not all of which I’m prepared to write here.  

Anyway, I hope you have a super cruise and come back here and let us know.  I will be on Pursuit for the Rio to Lisbon crossing on March 20th with many people I know and I will be sure to put these cruises behind me.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Specifics can be given without giving people's names. Like this from EOH immediately above:

" can only compare my previous excellent experiences with this one.  Like eating in Prime C when the place was pretty much empty and being shown to a small table for four in the worst spot in the restaurant, ie right outside the swing door to the kitchen... "

That's helpful. No one was named. No one needs to 'defend himself'.

As it sits, we've gotten many overwrought stage whispers, but few examples of what exactly went wrong.

As to the claim that a multibillion-dollar corporation is breathlessly following this thread, well.... Cruise Critic makes up a sliver of the cruising population. Our 'influencer' members influence principally among ourselves. A few complaints matter little. Completely vague comments matter even less. 

28 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Specifics can be given without giving people's names. Like this from EOH immediately above:

" can only compare my previous excellent experiences with this one.  Like eating in Prime C when the place was pretty much empty and being shown to a small table for four in the worst spot in the restaurant, ie right outside the swing door to the kitchen... "

As it sits, we've gotten many overwrought stage whispers, but few examples of what exactly went wrong.

As to the claim that a multibillion-dollar corporation is breathlessly following this thread, well.... Cruise Critic makes up a sliver of the cruising population. Our 'influencer' members influence principally among ourselves. A few complaints matter little. Completely vague comments matter even less. 

I think the fact that Azamara employ a Chief Blogging Officer shows that they do want to hear what people say on Cruise Critic and, of course, on other social media sites. 

One example of Azamara listening to what’s said on Cruise Critic is what happened when they bought and were planning their refit of Pursuit. Their original plans were to put an Asian/fusion food speciality restaurant on Deck 9 where the Sunset bar is. There was a huge outcry against this on Cruise Critic and the plans were dropped. There are other examples I’m sure where what has been said here has influenced Azamara’s actions.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

I thought there were enough specifics in my original post eg bringing food with nuts to a nut intolerant person, yes we had an alternative brought eventually but no appropriate action taken otherwise given the severity of what happened- on this occasion the Nuts were clearly sprinkled all over not hidden. Let’s contrast that with one night on Journey we ordered soufflés and checked the nut position with the waiter.  Assured it was ok. I do not have the allergy but my love for my dear husband is such I’ve developed a sixth sense on where they are. I ate the first mouthful of this chocolate and raspberry soufflé and I sensed nuts.  Alex was passing, we asked him, he said, it certainly shouldn’t have but let me check.  He rushed back a minute later saying to DH don’t eat it (he hadn’t) the chef had experimented with an alternative recipe and added ground almonds.  Alex and the waiter could not have done more to check DH was ok both that night and next day when also the exec chef and HD also checked by.  So in one case exemplary action even when the wait staff were not to blame, on Pursuit a so what who cares response. 

And my final two examples (I’m done justifying my posts and findings)

1.  I was numerically challenged doing the laundry one evening. I overcounted one pair of socks on the tally sheet.  Next evening when the laundry should have been back, we were depending on it, was our laundry bag back, none done and the sheet marked wrong number.  This action, we discovered on complaining via Guest Relations had been on the instruction of an acting Chief Housekeeper.  OK it got resolved but it inconvenienced us.  I know I’ve mistallied previously on Quest or Journey the washing came back done but with the error corrected. 

2.  We had the Ultimate Beverage package as we have had before. In Windows on Pursuit for some wait staff we were clearly nuisances as a result.  I ordered a particular rose wine and whilst some waiters would bring the bottle and pour my glass, one or two would just bring a poured glass and my card back.  We quickly twigged I was being served the standard rose but a zero charge was being booked to a more expensive wine so would send it back - of course there was a big delay as they found the one I had ordered (hint hint the previous glass could not have been from that bottle) What a disrespect for a guest who’d paid for a package experience.

We highlighted this issue on a mid cruise survey as supervisors were never in evidence when it actually happened, we were assured by the HD she had raised the issues with the appropriate staff, I believe her but the message never filtered down and no supervisor in Windows came to say sorry.  The problem continued so we got in the habit of being quite direct, saying I want x but please bring the bottle to the table.  

I hope these specifics satisfy the doubters, regrettably there are more, but as I say I’m done because I’m flogging a dead horse here.  Late Cruise 2 and Cruise 3 on Pursuit was far from Azamara’s standard. 

I remain hopeful they sort things out, by speaking up I’m hopeful nay sure those sailing soon will have a good time.  When you’ve had an off experience you don’t want to risk an immediate repeat, so as I said from the beginning, although I’ve had no follow up on my end of cruise survey, I hope Azamara is listening, but for now, I’m happy to concentrate on Journey and Quest for the immediate future 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Quote .  I ordered a particular rose wine and whilst some waiters would bring the bottle and pour my glass, one or two would just bring a poured glass and my card back.  We quickly twigged I was being served the standard rose but a zero charge was being booked to a more expensive wine so would send it back - of course there was a big delay as they found the one I had ordered (hint hint the previous glass could not have been from that bottle) What a disrespect for a guest who’d paid for a package experience.

We have just debarked  from Pursuit and regretfully this is still happening on some occasions when ordering from a package.

1 hour ago, gymfreak said:

Quote .  I ordered a particular rose wine and whilst some waiters would bring the bottle and pour my glass, one or two would just bring a poured glass and my card back.  We quickly twigged I was being served the standard rose but a zero charge was being booked to a more expensive wine so would send it back - of course there was a big delay as they found the one I had ordered (hint hint the previous glass could not have been from that bottle) What a disrespect for a guest who’d paid for a package experience.

We have just debarked  from Pursuit and regretfully this is still happening on some occasions when ordering from a package.

Now that is annoying given we gave specific feedback on it. Sorry you had that problem too

Just as a follow up to my posts and as it has been mentioned on this thread more than once, I received a call yesterday from Scott Daniels, Assistant VP of Hotel Operations to chat through the issues I had.  We spoke for over an hour and I feel I was able to give constructive criticism and that it was noted.  A major issue was that the Food and Beverage Manager left at short notice and this left a gap.  A new F & B Manager was appointed from outside of Azamara and joined the ship on the 23rd January, after I got off.  

I’m hopeful that I can enjoy my cruise in March and that many of the issues I had this time around can be put to bed.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread civil.  We move on........

Phil

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, gymfreak said:

Last June on Quest the standard wine, I hate the word Complementary, was the least palatable we have had with Azamara so we upgraded. On more than one occasion we were brought the standard Sauvignon Blanc instead of the one we ordered. 

Although we had them changed we are currently voting with our £ and have nothing booked with Azamara. I find it hard to believe this is just lazy staff. 

Phil, thanks to you and Anne for caring and taking time and effort to air your concerns to Azamara. I think posts from both of you carry weight as they are presented in the spirit of solving problems rather than just complaining. The issues raised should improve the experience for all of us, and not just on Pursuit,

I can’t measure how much useful information and assessment  I have received on this forum and, particularly on this issue, from you, Anne, as well as Host GMC, and Bonnie amongst others.

Unlike on some other forums, I also appreciate that I never get the feeling that, despite the wealth of background  you four represent, that any of you are patronizing those of us who lack your experience.

Thanks again. It is really appreciated.

• Like 7

On 2/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, gymfreak said:

Sorry to drag this thread back up but we are currently on Viking Sea with a Silver Spirits Package and have had exactly the same thing happen to us so it’s not exclusive to Azamara, eventually a wine waiter spotted the problem.

Actually thinking back we have seen the same thing on Quest and Journey, the big difference on those ships is the presence of a bar man usually catches it before the customer sees the error. 

• 1 month later...

I wanted to bring this thread back. I made some pretty robust comments about Pursuit. Currently on the ship again and it's chalk and cheese. Not sure what, but everything is so much more attentive and open. Like the Azamara I know. Having a great time and the food and service that goes with that I've had has been great.  Having a super time. 

Phil 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I wanted to bring this thread back. I made some pretty robust comments about Pursuit. Currently on the ship again and it's chalk and cheese. Not sure what, but everything is so much more attentive and open. Like the Azamara I know. Having a great time and the food and service that goes with that I've had has been great.  Having a super time. 

Phil 

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

You and uktog, as well as others, should be thanked for the time and effort you put in to recommending how the Pursuit experience could be improved.

It is always useful when positive and realistic suggestions are made.

We are especially grateful because we will be on Pursuit this fall.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thank you Phil for circling back to let us know you’re having a super time on the Pursuit. Enjoy!

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thanks Phil, now looking forward to our June cruise even more.

That is great to hear.

i always hoped it was a glitch,  I know your glitches were even more significant so very happy you are in mouseland with all the cheeses. Enjoy! 

19 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Great to read this Phil,  and so glad you are feeling like a valued customer again and that the standards are back up there.  Ive been flat out since getting back but will review our recent South American trip this week.  Hope you have a lovely holiday.  Welcome home.  David

And she’s an even better Cruise Director (I know she has to be assistant some of the time). It’s great when the Assistant is so talented  yet unassuming and can do their own shows. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thanks Phil. Very happy indeed to hear this positive report.  We are sailing on the same cruise as you in May. Very little activity on the roll call and wondering if more passengers use facebook instead? Have only been on one cruise with Azamara and that was 8 years ago! So looking forward to the b2b cruises from Venice to Athens and then to Nice.  HAL has been great for us, but nothing like Azamara Quest in 2011.  Had been wondering about our decision after reading some comments here. Your post has been reassuring.

Cheers

Gabrielle

Having read this thread from the time excitedofharpenden first posted, it is very encouraging to see the constructive and positive path this "story" followed, and apparently developed. We are approaching a final payment deadline for our own Pursuit cruise that will sail this summer.  Once again the members and hosts of Cruise Critic, and the CBO have provided useful information to other travelers, information and a dialogue that can and will benefit people you have not yet met.  Once again, as they have to do daily, Azamara has chosen to cultivate and maintain an onboard culture of superior service that is based upon attention to detail and everyday thoughtfulness.  We will most likely decide to send our final payment for our scheduled cruise, and based upon threads such as this, I will tell the TA "yes, please complete the transaction" with a renewed confidence.

One is reminded of the business adage:  Satisfied and happy customers are the best advertising. 

• Like 2