Deluxe Beverage Package Questions

coasterj

17 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

In any case, the sheet is a great way to do a quick analysis.   AND BE SURE TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL FLUIDS YOU PURCHASE......water, fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffees (and any Starbucks is not included in ANY package) all cost $$.

Cheers !!

Many people forget this. Depending on the price of the package, I had non-alcohol drinks accounted for 30%-35% of the cost of the package.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

I love the spreadsheet, so don't get me wrong.     Are the prices up to date?    For a simple example, I looked at water...it's entered at $2.25 per bottle.   When we last sailed, I thought it was $2.50 or $3.00 per bottle.    Not sure if its he spreadsheet or my mind that's not up to date.

In any case, the sheet is a great way to do a quick analysis.   AND BE SURE TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL FLUIDS YOU PURCHASE......water, fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffees (and any Starbucks is not included in ANY package) all cost $$.

Cheers !!

They might not be up to date. It has been a while since I went put that together. Getting accurate prices for everything is not one of the easiest things to do. Glad you liked it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SRF said:

My point was, the exemption is for people who DO NOT DRINK.  Not for people who just don't drink enough for the package to make financial sense.

Yes, even if the blocked the "non-drinker" from buying an alcoholic drink, you are still abusing the system.

And if abuse of the system is what caused the everyone has to buy the package, then further abuse may require people who do not drink to provide a medical letter or other "proof" of non-drinking.

Plus, it is just dishonest.

I am responding because your response seemed a little high and mighty to me and I want to make sure I am interpreting correctly.  I see no reason that couples/roommates sharing a cabin should both have to get the drink package if one of the pair doesn't drink much and just wants to occasionally buy a drink.  To me, it's RCI that's not playing fair by forcing the dual purchase by the whole cabin--they just are trying to make as much $$$ as possible. Therefore, why are you showing disdain for a poster who wants to "abuse" this unfair system?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tiger belle said:

... I see no reason that couples/roommates sharing a cabin should both have to get the drink package if one of the pair doesn't drink much and just wants to occasionally buy a drink.  To me, it's RCI that's not playing fair by forcing the dual purchase by the whole cabin--they just are trying to make as much $$$ as possible. Therefore, why are you showing disdain for a poster who wants to "abuse" this unfair system?

In the past, RC did not require both people in the stateroom to purchase the package.  However, their story has been that sharing was very common, so they changed the rules.

• Like 1

Just now, Gatorspuck said:

Sailing out of Galveston in March heard drink pkg does not working first day because o some Texas laws anyone know if this is true ? 

You are confusing Royal with Carnival.

Royal's drink packages work from the time you get on the ship.  However, the types of beers/wines/liquors available is limited until the ship gets out of Texas waters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You are confusing Royal with Carnival.

Royal's drink packages work from the time you get on the ship.  However, the types of beers/wines/liquors available is limited until the ship gets out of Texas waters.

Ok thanks have read both answers in other places but trust what is said here 

42 minutes ago, Gatorspuck said:

Ok thanks have read both answers in other places but trust what is said here 

I was on Liberty at of Galveston in  Nov 2018 and can confirm what Bob says is true.

And in a somewhat ironic twist - as a beer-lover - I found that Shiner Bock, a local Texas brew widely available thru out the states & one that I love, is only available the first day while in Texas waters.  Weird. Must not have international distribution rights or something.

20 hours ago, SuiteLady said:

I had the beverage package when I sailed on Harmony and had NO issues with drinks that I wanted....specialty coffees from Vitale café, Robot bar, Rising Tides, Sangria in MDR, Mudslides, Miami Vices, Daquari's, Frozen Mojitos, Mimosa's at breakfast, bottled water....and the list went on...lol.  Never had any charges added to my account either!  It was really awesome!  Enjoy Harmony, she's a fabulous ship!!

OK i MUST know about this frozen mojito you speak of.....The mojito is my favorite drink but I have never had one frozen. Where did you get this on ship? Boleros?  I need that in my life....

35 minutes ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

OK i MUST know about this frozen mojito you speak of.....The mojito is my favorite drink but I have never had one frozen. Where did you get this on ship? Boleros?  I need that in my life....

Almost any bar can make one.   I had a regular barstool in the solarium last time on Harmony.    My wifey got a frozen mojito there.     I drank either bourbon or Blue Hawaiians.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

A MUST have if you are a Mojito lover!  I believe I got that at the pool bar, but I'm sure any of the bars that do the frozen drinks will be able to make you one! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Or RC does not want to use up their Texas stamped liquor if they don't have to. 

Yeah, that makes more sense.

I tried to talk one of the bartenders in giving me a Shiner Bock after day one saying: "I  know you have more downstairs". But to their credit, they would not budge.  Lesson learned. Next time l'll stock up on day one if possible!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 6:57 PM, Keri's Cruisin' said:

I tried to get one on my last cruise on Serenade.

They searched the whole ship 2 days to find some mint leaves.

Finally they found one and got me a mojito.

I hope this will not be so difficult on our cruise on Navigator in March.

Wish you the best of luck and enjoy when you get one, they are really good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tante Din said:

I tried to get one on my last cruise on Serenade.

They searched the whole ship 2 days to find some mint leaves.

Finally they found one and got me a mojito.

I hope this will not be so difficult on our cruise on Navigator in March.

Wish you the best of luck and enjoy when you get one, they are really good.

I sometimes wonder about their inventory control.

August 2017, Grandeur ran out of cachaca ( a Brazilian liquor, used to make caipirinha).  Even though there were port calls, they did not restock.

August 2018, I met the food and beverage manager, and complained about this happening.  Over the next several days, EVERY ONE in the beverage chain assured me, that they had checked and that this would not happen. 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SRF said:

I sometimes wonder about their inventory control.

August 2017, Grandeur ran out of cachaca ( a Brazilian liquor, used to make caipirinha).  Even though there were port calls, they did not restock.

August 2018, I met the food and beverage manager, and complained about this happening.  Over the next several days, EVERY ONE in the beverage chain assured me, that they had checked and that this would not happen. 😄

They are almost certainly set up to receive deliveries at the home port. If they get a run on something or have a supplier has something backordered, they can run out. Certain things are bigger deals than others. Some they can probably get restocked en route, but a lot they will just wait till the next time at home port. We had a large group that used to do a Carnival cruise every year. Every year around mid-cruise, they'd run the boat out of Bud Light. That is definitely something they'd restock at a port. lol

17 hours ago, fsjosh said:

They are almost certainly set up to receive deliveries at the home port. If they get a run on something or have a supplier has something backordered, they can run out. Certain things are bigger deals than others. Some they can probably get restocked en route, but a lot they will just wait till the next time at home port. We had a large group that used to do a Carnival cruise every year. Every year around mid-cruise, they'd run the boat out of Bud Light. That is definitely something they'd restock at a port. lol

If they had purchased 2 - 3 bottles, it would have been more than enough for the rest of the cruise.  They sailed with two partial bottles.

And both cachaca and caipirinha are listed in their drink menu.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fsjosh said:

In Grand Cayman, I've taken the last tender back to the ship. There were about of half dozen cases of beer and wine being brought back to the ship. I guess they'll restock any way they can.

I've personally drank all the SOL from Bolero's.It's the only bar on that ship that sells that brand of Mexican beer.  Early in the cruise, the bartender  warned me they had a limited supply. Every time I bought one, he'd give me a running count as to how many they had left. Pretty sure I was the only one on the entire ship drinking it. lol

Trying to figure out the best thing to do, beverage package or ala carte. Between the two of us we will probably have 6-8 beers a day and maybe a mixed drink or two a couple of times. Doesn't seem as though we will drink $100 worth of alcohol, but maybe? Other than that we mainly drink water....

6 minutes ago, T3xasFamily said:

Trying to figure out the best thing to do, beverage package or ala carte. Between the two of us we will probably have 6-8 beers a day and maybe a mixed drink or two a couple of times. Doesn't seem as though we will drink $100 worth of alcohol, but maybe? Other than that we mainly drink water....

Beer is between $7-$9. Mixed drinks $10-$12.

8 beers at $8 (average) = $64 + 2 mixed at $11 each brings you up to $86 with $14 to spare.  Thrown in a few bottles of water ($2.50) and specialty coffee ($3.00), maybe a smoothie or fresh squeezed juice and that will easily cover the remaining balance and then some.

Most likely, you'll come out slightly ahead or break even.  But the convenience of drinking what you want, when you want, where you want makes it worthwhile, even if you come a little under the breakeven point.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:45 AM, SRF said:

My point was, the exemption is for people who DO NOT DRINK.  Not for people who just don't drink enough for the package to make financial sense.

Yes, even if the blocked the "non-drinker" from buying an alcoholic drink, you are still abusing the system.

And if abuse of the system is what caused the everyone has to buy the package, then further abuse may require people who do not drink to provide a medical letter or other "proof" of non-drinking.

Plus, it is just dishonest.

The exemption certainly wasn't only for people who do not drink.  When I called RCi's CS I asked if I could purchase the drink package for myself and the refreshment pkg for my wife.  The CS rep said absolutely and promptly sold me one of each.  At no time was there any question about why she didn't want it or was there any admonition about not purchasing alcohol on my wife's card.  There was absolutely nothing dishonest about what we did.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, HBE4 said:

I was on Liberty at of Galveston in  Nov 2018 and can confirm what Bob says is true.

And in a somewhat ironic twist - as a beer-lover - I found that Shiner Bock, a local Texas brew widely available thru out the states & one that I love, is only available the first day while in Texas waters.  Weird. Must not have international distribution rights or something.

Ditto

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Beer is between $7-$9. Mixed drinks $10-$12.

8 beers at $8 (average) = $64 + 2 mixed at $11 each brings you up to $86 with $14 to spare.  Thrown in a few bottles of water ($2.50) and specialty coffee ($3.00), maybe a smoothie or fresh squeezed juice and that will easily cover the remaining balance and then some.

Most likely, you'll come out slightly ahead or break even.  But the convenience of drinking what you want, when you want, where you want makes it worthwhile, even if you come a little under the breakeven point.

Thanks. Much easier to get the drink package if it's close! 

• Like 1