STRAWS?

Cruisegirl6

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Despite some bashing on this topic, it is a good deal for everyone.

Thankfully they’re still available upon request for those who want one.

What’s the straw situation like on Royal Caribbean? Haven’t ventured over to that board yet.

Edited by xDisconnections

43 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Thankfully they’re still available upon request for those who want one.

What’s the straw situation like on Royal Caribbean? Haven’t ventured over to that board yet.

On RCCL right now. They are using paper straws.

32 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

On RCCL right now. They are using paper straws.

Coming from an area which already adopted no plastic straws, I can tell you paper straws suck.... no pun intended.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

When I was growing up, all we had we're paper staws.

Same here, but there are lots of things I experienced growing up that I do not want to go back to, that said, I agree with the direction.

11 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If they suck, isn’t that a good thing. 😊

I hear they get soggy. I’ve never lived in an area that sucked that bad...so I have no paper straw experiences. I do know of one establishment in New Orleans that has paper straws. I always get

beer there so I haven’t tried them.

11 minutes ago, SeaScout said:

Anyone that has an issue with straws is free to bring their own.  Problem solved. Just make sure you dispose of it properly. 

Who disposes of straws improperly on the ship? Are you seeing people toss straws into the ocean off of carnival ships? Carnival is the one disposing of them. They're only interested in this because it would save them money if people didn't use straws.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

I think straws are a Luxury, not a necessity.  So if it’s good for the environment , I say why not ban straws.  We as Americans are horrible at thinking about what’s best for Mother Earth and instead tend to think selfishly

People will just have to go back to the basics and drink from a cup and stir with a spoon.  Insanity

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 2

I have to agree with Saint Greg.  If plastic is a problem ,straws certainly contain alot less plastic than plastic cups, plastic water bottles etc.  You still are going to see plastic cups given outdoors on a cruise ship now and they eliminating plastic straws that ridiculous!  On another note, I do remember those paper straws, and yes they get soggy and they collapse and deform as you drink from them.  Oh, lets not forget.....people are complaining about the plastic but using paper straws what about killing all the trees? Paper straws are five times more expensive to produce than plastic straws so I don't see any savings here for the cruise line.    Lets not forget, paper straws are easier for small animals to swallow too.  

Then there is the fact that some people need straws to drink because they are unable to life a cup to their mouths?  People with hand and facial nerve damage need straws to drink.  Plastic is much more sturdier than paper.  As for me, I have no medical issue so paper would be fine for me but chances are, the straw get soggy and disform that would mean I would need a second straw so basically using paper in reality, you be using more and causing a larger expense.

Lets face it, straws make up a tiny fraction of whats in the ocean!

\

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, summersigh said:

Every evening on a cruise I drink Scotch on the rocks - DH drinks Crown on the rocks.  We had a straw in all of our drinks every night on the Breeze in December.  🥤

Why does anyone need a straw to sip liquor on the rocks? Heavy lipstick?

Edited by sanmarcosman

46 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I think straws are a Luxury, not a necessity.  So if it’s good for the environment , I say why not ban straws.  We as Americans are horrible at thinking about what’s best for Mother Earth and instead tend to think selfishly

People will just have to go back to the basics and drink from a cup and stir with a spoon.  Insanity

I'd say cruises are the real luxury, whereas straws are actually a necessity for some. IMHO it's insanity to think that cruising suddenly turns into an environmentally friendly vacation when straws are banned. As for plastic alone, even the amount of plastic used to make sure trays of cans of coke don't fall apart is probably more than all straws used on a ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Luckiestmanonearth- There are people that cannot drink from cups due to medical issues.  PLUS, it is more sanitary to drink from the straw as so many people handle the glasses.

No disrespect but the sea life that die because of straws they swallow also have medical issues.  I’m sure there is an alternate solution for people

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

No disrespect but the sea life that die because of straws they swallow also have medical issues.  I’m sure there is an alternate solution for people

Are you saying people on the ship are throwing straws into the ocean? Or are you saying carnival is dumping straws into the ocean?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1