STRAWS?

Cruisegirl6

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Think she’s talking about her house. And I’m fine with her banning straws in her house. I don’t doubt that ocean straws come from people on beaches. I do doubt they come from carnival ships.

I don't ban straws at home but I don't have any here either.  We use our Yetis when we're on the beach.  I'm just saying it sometimes gets windy and it can happen either on or off a ship.  I don't think people (or Carnival or other cruise lines) influentially throw stuff off the ship. 

58 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

I don't ban straws at home but I don't have any here either.  We use our Yetis when we're on the beach.  I'm just saying it sometimes gets windy and it can happen either on or off a ship.  I don't think people (or Carnival or other cruise lines) influentially throw stuff off the ship. 

I have noticed staff throwing food off in ports to seagulls before. French fries and so forth. 

16 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Actually on my last three or four cruises with Carnival paper straws were the only straws they had . You use them one time (they get mushy) and toss them in the trash after that.  So paper straws should be circulating the fleet soon.

15 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Vista ,Breeze ,  Sunshine.  All on lido . Never visit Alchemy bar.

Weird.  We were on Sunshine in December, and all straws were plastic, including the Lido.  Maybe they trial them out, see how well they are received.

It is not about the Straws. The purpose of banning straws is to try and make people aware of the damage plastic does to the environment.

Straws are a low hanging fruit use them to get people thinking about changing their behaviour so when they go after a bigger issue like plastic bottles it will be easier, as people will already be used to thinking in this way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, summersigh said:

I find it sadly amusing that we have 4 pages about the "danger" of straws ... but not a word about plastic drink/water bottles ending up in the sea.:classic_blush:

I think maybe because the TOPIC is straws as opposed to drink or water bottles.....but that is just a guess on my part...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kerryincork said:

It is not about the Straws. The purpose of banning straws is to try and make people aware of the damage plastic does to the environment.

Similar to telling a 5 year old to go back outside, come in again, and this time close the door nicely.  I don't need such education at my age, thank you very much.

The cruiselines are not interested in creating "awareness". Banning straws is nothing more than a symbolic gesture just to get a nice quote in the media like "we depend on the oceans so we need to ban straws" (sic). 

Also, the very last people to educate me on the environment would be cruiselines. The bragging about banning straws is a way to prevent awareness. 

10 hours ago, summersigh said:

I find it sadly amusing that we have 4 pages about the "danger" of straws ... but not a word about plastic drink/water bottles ending up in the sea.:classic_blush:

Carnival isn’t interested in getting rid of the bottles of water they sell. They are interested in getting rid of the straws they give away.

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Carnival isn’t interested in getting rid of the bottles of water they sell. They are interested in getting rid of the straws they give away.

You seriously need to see this from the fishes perspective .  I think their smart enough to know not swallow a plastic water bottle.  But a straw is a little more deceiving and hence is the object more than likely being swallowed

Signed Mr Limpett

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Similar to telling a 5 year old to go back outside, come in again, and this time close the door nicely.  I don't need such education at my age, thank you very much.

The cruiselines are not interested in creating "awareness". Banning straws is nothing more than a symbolic gesture just to get a nice quote in the media like "we depend on the oceans so we need to ban straws" (sic). 

Also, the very last people to educate me on the environment would be cruiselines. The bragging about banning straws is a way to prevent awareness. 

Funny, I wonder why cities in the U.S. are doing the same exact thing then?  I love how people “know” so much....  For the record, there is a bill in front of the Florida legislature as I right this to ban plastic straws for the entire state.  I wonder if that is symbolic??  Maybe, just maybe, there is only good from taking an action to help the environment. 

Edited by jimbo5544

I’m not giving up my straws I will smuggle them on myself if need be 😂  my teeth are sensitive to cold and I like a lot of ice in my drinks soooooo a straw it is for me 🤷‍♀️  Just personal choice.  I dint care if someone else doesn’t like straws then ok dont use them It not my business what you do.  However I have the right to make choices for myself also 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mommawo said:

I’m not giving up my straws I will smuggle them on myself if need be 😂  my teeth are sensitive to cold and I like a lot of ice in my drinks soooooo a straw it is for me 🤷‍♀️  Just personal choice.  I dint care if someone else doesn’t like straws then ok dont use them It not my business what you do.  However I have the right to make choices for myself also 

Again, no-one is taking away your straws.  They are trying to reduce usage by not automatically including one in every drink (so just ask for one), and it looks like switching to paper straws sooner or later, which even if you use three for every drink to avoid them going soggy is still way better than one plastic straw.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

On 1/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, TomCruise48 said:

When I was growing up, all we had we're paper staws.

Yeah, I was just going to say, I remember a time when all straws were paper.  Apparently Mr. Robinson was right, and invested wisely.

49 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

even if you use three for every drink to avoid them going soggy is still way better than one plastic straw.

Really?  Where did the paper come from?  And where do the paper straws go?

17 minutes ago, TubT said:

Paper straws degrade and are not the danger to sea life that plastic straws are.

Paper comes from a renewable resource, trees (or better yet hemp, if the industry gets its act together), not the non-renewable resource fossil oil.

As I mentioned earlier, paper/pulp mill companies do not strip forests down for paper harvesting like they did last century (and before) - trees are harvested as crops, like corn or wheat (just a longer cycle).

Forests are laid waste for exotic woods or land clearing for palm oil plantations, cattle, or human expansion.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TubT said:

Hey can you let us know what kind of straws they have on Vista? regular and alchemy bars? Someone earlier in this thread indicated at least some of the bars had paper straws..but that was out of florida...might be a florida thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

And to think this whole straw controversy started by a nine year old who made up his own statistics!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/07/18/anti-straw-movement-based-unverified-statistic-500-million-day/750563002/

Interesting spin.  He didn't "[make] up his own statistics", he did an estimate using reasonably sound methodologies because no other hard data was available, which fell roughly mid-pack in the data that was available.  That's kinda what statistics are.

So he called straw manufacturers himself, asking what they estimated to be the straw market in the United States per day. Some gave him a yearly estimate, which he divided by 365.

"Others gave an estimate of around 500 million straws," Cress said. "That was the number that I stuck to, because it seemed to be around the middle of what they were saying."

With 365 million people in the US, I don't think it is too unreasonable that on average a person uses just under 1.5 straws per day.

And since then it seems no-one has been able to come up with any statistic that is any more accurate.  If you have hard data to refute, please provide it!

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Interesting spin.  He didn't "[make] up his own statistics", he did an estimate using reasonably sound methodologies because no other hard data was available, which fell roughly mid-pack in the data that was available.  That's kinda what statistics are.

So he called straw manufacturers himself, asking what they estimated to be the straw market in the United States per day. Some gave him a yearly estimate, which he divided by 365.

"Others gave an estimate of around 500 million straws," Cress said. "That was the number that I stuck to, because it seemed to be around the middle of what they were saying."

With 365 million people in the US, I don't think it is too unreasonable that on average a person uses just under 1.5 straws per day.

And since then it seems no-one has been able to come up with any statistic that is any more accurate.  If you have hard data to refute, please provide it!

I don't have any hard data an no one really does. But it is true this all started after a nine year old got some air time. Most everything we use has plastic in it. Going after straws is really nothing in the scheme of plastic use. I use a straw once a month and you think 1.5 per every person in the US  per day is reasonable? I am doubtful on that number but we are all entitled to our opinions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Funny, I wonder why cities in the U.S. are doing the same exact thing then?  I love how people “know” so much....  For the record, there is a bill in front of the Florida legislature as I right this to ban plastic straws for the entire state.  I wonder if that is symbolic??  Maybe, just maybe, there is only good from taking an action to help the environment. 

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-science-amount-straws-plastic-pollution.html  "2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic". 0.022%. I call that symbolic. Just meant to "make people aware of the damage plastic does to the environment" and nothing more than that. That is what I said, I don't feel like being educated by a cruiseline like a 5-year old. And I don't think cruiselines are suddenly environmental heros for banning straws, which they apparently want us to believe.