What if the 3rd passenger in cabin needs to cancel?

KKB

OK looking at a Europe cruise next summer...either Med on Carnival Radiance (redone Victory) May 30 or UK on Celebrity Reflection July 17, both 12 nights.

My daughter wants to go along (it is DM & I) & since she graduates in May from TCU, it could be her grad gift. 

We were leaning toward the Carnival as it is such a value at $1200pp (OV) & the May date may work better for her.

THAT BEING SAID Mom & I REALLY wanted to do the UK (originally we were going this summer)...

What we are worried about is that DD may very well get a job...

The final payment is due next March if we book...

My question is--if we book the 3 of us & DD has to back out before the final payment is due, will that change anything? I figure it just means we don't pay her fare/fee/taxes & ours remain the same.

Anyone know before I call?

If she cancels prior to the final payment (no refund period)....then you will get her fare back.  They may change your cabin, but they might not.

If it's AFTER final payment/refund date, then she will simply not show.  You won't be refunded her fare, but taxes and port fees will be refunded.

Once the final payment date has passed, they really don't care if anyone shows up.

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Once the final payment date has passed, they really don't care if anyone shows up.

Actually, with some bookings on some lines a no-show can result in the remaining passengers paying more - the anticipated on-board spending of passengers who cancel might have been part of the original fare calculation - resulting in the remaining passengers being charged more - while the cancelling passenger gets no refund.

21 hours ago, KKB said:

OK looking at a Europe cruise next summer...either Med on Carnival Radiance (redone Victory) May 30 or UK on Celebrity Reflection July 17, both 12 nights.

My daughter wants to go along (it is DM & I) & since she graduates in May from TCU, it could be her grad gift. 

We were leaning toward the Carnival as it is such a value at $1200pp (OV) & the May date may work better for her.

THAT BEING SAID Mom & I REALLY wanted to do the UK (originally we were going this summer)...

My question is--if we book the 3 of us & DD has to back out before the final payment is due, will that change anything? I figure it just means we don't pay her fare/fee/taxes & ours remain the same.

As you really would prefer the UK cruise, book that one.  Especially as there is a chance that DD might not be able to go.

Book just for the two of you, but make sure you select a cabin that will hold 3.  Cruise lines generally do not change pre selected cabins. There is no problem ADDING a third passenger, even after final payment.

18 minutes ago, Port Power said:

As you really would prefer the UK cruise, book that one.  Especially as there is a chance that DD might not be able to go.

Book just for the two of you, but make sure you select a cabin that will hold 3.  Cruise lines generally do not change pre selected cabins. There is no problem ADDING a third passenger, even after final payment.

Adding a third is only possible if the muster stations are not full. Waiting until the end could be problematic. To the op, I believe the refurb and name change is in April 2020.   

23 hours ago, KKB said:

On Carnival, if you cancel the third person prior to the final payment date, you may or may not incur a penalty, depending on which fare type you book under.  If you book an Early Saver fare, then Carnival will assess a $50 cancellation penalty and then hold the remainder of her deposit as a future cruise credit.  If you are doubting that she will be able to go, book a refundable fare type, so that they will refund the deposit if the cruise is cancelled prior to final payment date.  After final payment date, fares are refundable on a sliding scale, with the penalties rising as it gets closer to sail date.  This will not impact the fares for the first 2 persons in the cabin, as long as you realize that the are higher than the 3rd person fare 🙂