Late September Cruise

nikkiw60

I am looking at booking either the end of August 2020 or the last week of September 2020 on the Bliss or Joy. Would the end of September be a good time to go to Alaska what should we expect weather wise and would we still sea bears and Whales?

Just a little reading around the board would find many threads on the topic. End of September is cheaper for a reason...days are much shorter, colder, wetter. There have been some very windy storms, causing canceled ports and damage to ships late in September. I think the weather event last season was about Sept 20th.

We had sleet on Sept 5 one year.

On the other hand, we've had lovely weather (75 & sunny in Ketchikan) on 2 different Sept cruises. We prefer cheaper prices & fewer tourists/ships in port, and we pack accordingly.[ in other words, we knew the concerns and we booked knowing there might be ugly weather. There wasn't; we're lucky - and we'll continue to book Sept cruises in AK and shoulder season cruises in general] 

Be aware if you're privately booking excursions that some places will have closed by then. 

Thanks for this information. I am doing more research and also now looking at Celebrity Solstice. Think our best option is August 28 2020. Due to our holiday allowance it will have to be something out and return to Vancouver or Seattle.

May offers 'shoulder pricing' like September, plus the dryest month of the entire cruise season and much more daylight. Also offers the fewer people/no kids off school benefits of September, plus has cute baby animals and lots of snow on the mountains. Really the only downside is bears - depending exactly where you cruise it may be just too early to see them whereas Aug/early Sep they'll definitely be awake and fattening themselves, and you just might manage to catch some of the salmon runs which make them much easier to spot. September also wins out in sale pricing of souvenirs - assuming that the stores are still open when you get there they'll be discounting some stuff that's not worth storing for next season/shipping to other stores that operate year-round.

12 minutes ago, martincath said:

May offers 'shoulder pricing' like September, plus the dryest month of the entire cruise season and much more daylight. ..... Really the only downside is bears - depending exactly where you cruise it may be just too early to see them whereas Aug/early Sep they'll definitely be awake and fattening themselves, and you just might manage to catch some of the salmon runs which make them much easier to spot. ...

Trust me -- in the Interior of Alaska our black bears can definitely be out and moving in May.  We had a little problem with a black bear in our neighborhood several years ago in May.....

2 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Trust me -- in the Interior of Alaska our black bears can definitely be out and moving in May.  We had a little problem with a black bear in our neighborhood several years ago in May.....

I have no doubt - they're usually active down here even earlier - but since I'm throwing out a suggestion without knowing when OP might have available in May I thought it prudent to mention they would be LESS findable during most of May than during their proposed end of Aug/early Sep visit. Black bears are ten a penny though;-)

Cruising Alaska in September has pros & cons. Yes, it is cheaper, you will experience less crowd ashore and less kids. However, the days are shorter and chance of weather is higher. I completed 2 seasons working cruise ships doing Alaska cruises out of Vancouver and we experienced 2 major storms, with both being in September.

I agree with martincath in that May is a better option - cheaper, potentially better weather, longer days and probably less kids.

Regarding Vancouver or Seattle, Vancouver is a better option is concerned about weather, as Seattle ships go West of Vancouver Island, up the Pacific Ocean. They must also visit Victoria, which reduces their time in Alaska.

Thanks for the replies, we definitely won’t be going in May. To fit with holidays from my work and we had an amazing documentary on the BBC a couple of years ago that was televised live from Alaska in August . That is when we would like to go.

If you have to have August, so be it - but do consider different ships (even if you want to stick to NCL, they offer more than just the mega-mega-ships). Alaskan cruising is about the destination much more than the vessel, and you may find keener pricing on a less-fancy ship that allows you to go earlier in August. Literally every day earlier would add a few minutes more sunshine! Being a Brit it's safe to assume you have shedload of potential vacation time compared to US cruisers, so consider one-way cruises too - if you want to see as much of Alaska as you can this will be a huge upgrade from a round trip, even if you just added a few extra days to get more inland.

45 minutes ago, martincath said:

If you have to have August, so be it - but do consider different ships (even if you want to stick to NCL, they offer more than just the mega-mega-ships). Alaskan cruising is about the destination much more than the vessel, and you may find keener pricing on a less-fancy ship that allows you to go earlier in August. Literally every day earlier would add a few minutes more sunshine! Being a Brit it's safe to assume you have shedload of potential vacation time compared to US cruisers, so consider one-way cruises too - if you want to see as much of Alaska as you can this will be a huge upgrade from a round trip, even if you just added a few extra days to get more inland.

We do have more holiday in the U.K. but not able to take more at that time. We are also now looking at Celebrity. The one way is not an option re flights. Thank you for the suggestion though.

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Cruising Alaska in September has pros & cons. Yes, it is cheaper, you will experience less crowd ashore and less kids. However, the days are shorter and chance of weather is higher. I completed 2 seasons working cruise ships doing Alaska cruises out of Vancouver and we experienced 2 major storms, with both being in September.

I agree with martincath in that May is a better option - cheaper, potentially better weather, longer days and probably less kids.

. . .

My DH and I have cruised Alaska primarily in May and some in June.  My sister and I sailed in Sept.  In addition to the bad weather noted above, Glacier Bay was also a disappointment as most of the snow had melted from the slopes around the Margerie Glacier, GB's main feature--just one muddy mess except for the glacier itself.  

I too like August Alaska travel,  but-  earlier.  :)    I spent the month there last season.   

Do know all the details about your itinerary.   A negative is you  are looking at the least scenic itinerary and rougher sea conditions,  routing.   

On 1/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Hoyaheel said:

On the other hand, we've had lovely weather (75 & sunny in Ketchikan) on 2 different Sept cruises. We prefer cheaper prices & fewer tourists/ships in port, and we pack accordingly.[ in other words, we knew the concerns and we booked knowing there might be ugly weather. There wasn't; we're lucky - and we'll continue to book Sept cruises in AK and shoulder season cruises in general] 

Be aware if you're privately booking excursions that some places will have closed by then. 

When in Sept did you sail?   

There is usually huge differences between beginning and end of the month.  :)    It can be a time of rapid abrupt changes,  getting worse by the week.    When I'm there in Sept,  it includes mainland for my aurora priority.  And any cruising is in addition to earlier visits for my touring priorities.    :)   

27 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

When in Sept did you sail?   

There is usually huge differences between beginning and end of the month.  🙂  It can be a time of rapid abrupt changes,  getting worse by the week.    When I'm there in Sept,  it includes mainland for my aurora priority.  And any cruising is in addition to earlier visits for my touring priorities.    🙂  

Last September was pretty amazing in Alaska. I know several who went through the 3rd week and had great weather. Last year was definitely the exception.

First & second weeks sailings for us. And aurora both times 😉  And 11 years apart (first Sept cruise was 2007, then again 2018) - fantastic weather both times. Not 100% of the time, but enough. And no rough seas or storms. We were told our week had much better weather than the previous week this year. So yes, it changes rapidly. C'est la vie. Or, c'est le temps 😉

We can't travel in May -late Feb through May is husband's busiest work season. And as I've noted, we definitely prefer to travel with fewer tourists. So September is fine for us. We'd love to try May in Alaska but we'll have to wait for retirement for that. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop traveling 😉 There's ALWAYS something to see - we've had great wildlife sightings (as well as aurora) and we're optimists. Also, we are NOT picky about the weather. That can't be said for everyone and I appreciate that. Of course there are reasons September is cheaper and there are fewer shiss/itinerary options (though SO MANY more and later than there used to be!) 

If Sept is the only time that works to do an Alaska cruise, I'd take it! That's all I'm trying to say here 🙂

Edited by Hoyaheel

We have twice cruised the last Alaska cruises of the season with Royal and Princess. This year we are doing the same with NCL and its actually very late. I believe we leave on Sept. 30th. On our previous cruises we saw plenty of whales, both from the ship and on a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv out of Juneau.

On our first cruise we had excellent weather in nearly all ports except for Ketchikan (not called the wettest place in North America for no reason). On our second cruise we had average weather but it was chilly and overcast in most of the ports.

Personally we like cruising to Alaska that time of year as there were no children on the ships and there is a much more subdued and quieter atmosphere. Lots of seniors or at least people our age (50's) cruising and it seemed a bit more laid back and peaceful. 

We also found that if we were the last ship of the season and the only ship in port, that a lot of the tour companies dock side were offering 50% off their tours once you got off the ship. We did a small private tour of Ketchikan and surrounding area for half what people were paying the weeks before so we were more than happy with that.

Some,  opinions.    As I mention,  there are huge changes every week in Sept.  First week is nothing similar to a last week.   Daylight drops off significantly.    I have seen aurora from a ship,  but it's very difficult to get out of interfering light.   Also having the viewing more overhead,  is my preference for really liking being further north.  :)  

Every day will be different and best advice will be to be well prepared in your planning and attire.   In the future,   plan on return trips at different time frames so to enjoy even more.  :)   

I will however,   disagree on the claim of off season,  being superior for the number of "kids"  on board.   Alaska is still mostly,  an adult itinerary,   Sure there will be families,   but kids will be only a small fraction compared to the Caribbean.   I suggest NOT placing any priority "avoiding"  this.   I spent most of the month of August in Alaska this last season.   And kids were essentially absent and did not impact what so ever on board.    Bottom suggestion,   enjoy Alaska, when ever you can go there.   :)  

14 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

but kids will be only a small fraction compared to the Caribbean.

Yeah, I don't sail there either. And I sail on small ships - all things that limit my exposure to young children 😉 It's not just kids though - you can't deny there are more ships/more tourists in June/July/August and I just don't like people. It's amazing I ever leave my house 😉

• Like 1

Although we don’t have children we really like them and often travel with our nephew and niece also we spend holidays with our friends and their 11 year old. So children on board isn’t an issue.

The reason for looking at August as I said earlier is because of when we can get time of work and also after watching the BBC program we (I) want to see bears! 

At the moment we are definitely leaning towards the end of August now on Celebrity.

And thanks to everyone for all the advice and comments.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:23 AM, Hoyaheel said:

you can't deny there are more ships/more tourists in June/July/August and I just don't like people. It's amazing I ever leave my house 😉

Actually it’s only the end of September with the significant ship drop.   First 2 weeks has about the full fleet. 😀.   I’m always able to avoid crowds.  The worse is the port shopping area.   Easy for me to bypass.