Are the beds hard

mnkauf

We were on Harmony last week and I thought the bed was very, very, very, very firm--in other words hard as a rock except for the indentation in the middle where it appears most people sleep.  The beds were set up as twins and it felt like there was a bar in the bed such as that on a sofa bed.

My sister's bed was just as bad and she had the steward put comforters under the sheets on her bed and I had a very thin mattress pad on my bed which, I suppose, was there for comfort.  Every morning I had a back ache from that bed.

I do have a firm bed at home, but it has a mattress top so it is softer.  In all my cruises, this bed was the worst I have slept on.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, SilkySal said:

Hoping the Oasis on Sunday has a mattress topper on my bed. In case there is none and the room steward cannot supply one, I have packed a blow-up camping mattress for my bed!🤗

Smart! Let us know how it goes.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

Oooooh. May be worth looking into this for the longer cruises for sure. Thanks!

I think a lot of the time the hardness of the beds depends on your own personal conditions or preference:  whether you have hip or back problems, you're older or heavier maybe or you're just used to a less firm mattress. My son & daughter-in-law thought the beds were fine: they're younger, no physical problems and sleep on a rock at home. lol  I, on the other hand have both hip and back  problems and have a firm mattress but with plushy top. There's no one size fits all concerning the mattresses, I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, appreiner said:

wonder why different ships have different beds???

Bought at different times from different suppliers - those beds get changed out routinely on turn around days. Beds even on the same ship could be different.

I called crown & Anchor before my freedom cruise and they assured me they had 

foam pads and requested for me. none on board. my husband and I have luxury firm mattress at home and our bed on Freedom was very firm/hard and very unpleasant. Only complaint About whole trip. I hate to have to do it, but will bring my own next time too!

And the mattress is so hit or miss. We did the Enchantment and the Brilliance and both killed my back. Did the Harmony and it was not great but much better. Still had to get out of bed like every 4 hours because I would start to ache. I guess just part of getting older and retiring from a job that was hard on the back.

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

On the Liberty now, there was a foam topper on the bed when we arrived. 

I’d suspect someone brought it and left it on the bed. 

Was it blue and flat on both sides?  If not, someone carried it on.