Shower before getting into pools/hot tub

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Ocean water = the fish poop in it.  :classic_rolleyes:

Actually one is far more prone to infections from Ocean water than pool water...look that up.  I know, it was hard to believe, but we are divers and this subject was in our classes.  So you thought all that salt would help??? Apparently not.  I'm not concerned, I have a healthy immune system and I know how often the hot tubs and pool water is changed out on a typical 7 day.  I do my part ... in the loo.  We have a salt water pool though and love it. Even though I'm not worried, I've only caught one nasty viral infection from a woman in the theater, I am a religious hand washer.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I was once at the pool and really felt the urge to go, it took a while to get over the stage fright with so many people around, but after a while I managed to get a stream going.  Next thing the lifeguard shouted at me, I got such a surprise, I nearly slipped and fell in the water!

joking aside, I think people get overly fixated on the amount of germs they encounter in daily life,  Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy yourselves!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I wonder how babies survive, laying and sitting in their own P&P in a diaper all the time...guess they have immune systems...I did read about a lake in Germany that had to be closed because the P was killing the fish...ish:classic_sad:

Never mind that. How did any of us develop swimming in amniotic fluid from the time of conception?

• At first, amniotic fluid consists of water from the mother's body, but gradually, the larger proportion is made up of the baby's urine.
Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Never mind that. How did any of us develop swimming in amniotic fluid from the time of conception?

• At first, amniotic fluid consists of water from the mother's body, but gradually, the larger proportion is made up of the baby's urine.

At least it's the baby's own urine and not someone else's :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

We witnessed both the pools and hot tubs being drained and refilled every night on the Adventure. We only got in the hot tubs early after they were filled.

Yes, typically hot tubs are drained nightly, because they have to super-chlorinate the water to kill any potential legionella.  Draining pools nightly is good, but not required, only weekly.

With regards to the previous poster you quoted, if the ship is outside 12 miles from shore, it can be run as a "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the excess flows back to the sea.  When operated in this mode, due to the high "turn over" rate of the water, no sanitation of the water is needed.  However, since changing back to recirculation mode when inside 12 miles and starting chlorination requires the pool to be closed for a couple of hours while the chlorine levels stabilize, most ships only use "flow through" when there are more than 1 sea day in a row, to make it economical.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, typically hot tubs are drained nightly, because they have to super-chlorinate the water to kill any potential legionella.  Draining pools nightly is good, but not required, only weekly.

With regards to the previous poster you quoted, if the ship is outside 12 miles from shore, it can be run as a "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the excess flows back to the sea.  When operated in this mode, due to the high "turn over" rate of the water, no sanitation of the water is needed.  However, since changing back to recirculation mode when inside 12 miles and starting chlorination requires the pool to be closed for a couple of hours while the chlorine levels stabilize, most ships only use "flow through" when there are more than 1 sea day in a row, to make it economical.

As always, thank you for your knowledge.

When we sailed from St Kitts, the roughness of the seas caused the pools and hot tubs to slosh water off of the sides, I believe that is also why they drained them.

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'd forgot about the this. Knew there was something about Salt Water and the no Chlorine/Sanitation water on these ships was hoping you'd Chime in.

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know how some people leave their sterile home environment and board a 5000 passenger cruise ship. They don't touch door knobs, handrails elevator buttons and some claim that they don't even touch their own face which I find hard to believe. I don't use the pools because they are always so crowded. I actually use the shower to cool off and then go back to my lounge chair. I guess that makes me a chair hog.

Can't prevent everything but I'm more cautious then most. Ex-wife called me Anal. Wipe down my cabin, never use Elevators/railings. Use my Sweatshirt sleeves to pull/push my chair and door handles. Not always but have used napkin to scoop food in WindJammer. But normally first to use utensils for Dinner as first in the door when they open. Wash hands OFTEN. With Family members I care for that are higher risk, Mom has COPD, Asthma, Emphysema, having 3 Antibiotics she's allergic and 1 other that don't work. Last time got sick took her 6 months get well. Other members dealing with Cancer/Chemo, Heart Disease, Asthma, Emphysema, newborns, have to be more careful not to catch and expose anyone. Family grew up one block from one of the first Superfund Sites. Lot of Health issues

Edited by ONECRUISER

15 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Can't prevent everything but I'm more cautious then most. Ex-wife called me Anal. Wipe down my cabin, never use Elevators/railings. Use my Sweatshirt sleeves to pull/push my chair and door handles. Not always but have used napkin to scoop food in WindJammer. But normally first to use utensils for Dinner as first in the door when they open. Wash hands OFTEN. With Family members I care for that are higher risk, Mom has COPD, Asthma, Emphysema, having 3 Antibiotics she's allergic and 1 other that don't work. Last time got sick took her 6 months get well. Other members dealing with Cancer/Chemo, Heart Disease, Asthma, Emphysema, newborns, have to be more careful not to catch and expose anyone. Family grew up one block from one of the first Superfund Sites. Lot of Health issues

I’m with you. Anyone having cancer in family becomes far more familiar with health hazards. Cancer lessens your immune system. Avoiding germs is key to survival. 

Many could care less. Until it effects them.

5 hours ago, Trex827 said:

You germaphobes should just cancel your cruise so that there will be plenty of room for us scum of the earth to enjoy the hot tubs and pools.

I hate how the culture is that it's a given that people won't follow rules and won't shower off their gunk, have questionable hygeine, and even pee in the pools and that's just the way things go and you just deal with it.

Why can't the culture be the other way.  Shower your filth off before you go into public pools/hot tubs.  The more people do it, the more there will be pressure for others to do the same.  Like in Japan, everyone showers before and after pools/baths/hot springs and you are the outlier if you don't.

18 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not 100% sure but isn't a salt water pool a natural cleaner with no Chlorine needed unless it's Commercial pool

I would consider a pool on a ship as a 'commercial pool' since it isn't as if the pool is in someone's backyard.  Even with saltwater pools they must have some kind of chemicals to use to keep it as sanitized as possible....just because it is 'salt water' doesn't mean it is 'naturally cleansed' in any way.

11 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

Who has to determine if its a Mars bar floating in there or something more criminal? I always just assume its the Mars! this gives me peace of mind.

mars.jpg.87037dc44e3cf43fba3771b094eb389a.jpg

13 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Like in Japan, everyone showers before and after pools/baths/hot springs and you are the outlier if you don't.

I admire the sanitary practices of the Japanese, but they're also more susceptible to illness when traveling abroad because they haven't acquired immunity to as many things. For most healthy people the pools on the ship are not usually a risk, but it would be nice if people didn't drag more dirt into them than necessary.

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

I would consider a pool on a ship as a 'commercial pool' since it isn't as if the pool is in someone's backyard.  Even with saltwater pools they must have some kind of chemicals to use to keep it as sanitized as possible....just because it is 'salt water' doesn't mean it is 'naturally cleansed' in any way.

Even home salt water pools use a sanitizing agent, the salt in the water is converted to chlorine by electrical current as another poster stated.  Home salt water pools do not, however, have the luxury of unlimited salt water to pump into the pool and let the excess flow out to the city sewer.

And, no, if a cruise ship pool is salt water, and it is being operated in "flow through" mode, within the limitations I mention above in post #81, there is no requirement from USPH to add any chemical at all to the water.  If, however, the salt water pool is in "recirculation" mode, again as noted in post #81, then the salt water pool needs to be chlorinated.  So, a salt water pool on a cruise ship can be chlorinated or not, depending on it's operating mode.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

Who has to determine if its a Mars bar floating in there or something more criminal? I always just assume its the Mars! this gives me peace of mind.

That would be a Baby Ruth. Doodie in the pool. Carl Spackler to the rescue. 

5 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Thanks, "Chief" chengkp75, our resident expert explained it quite well when they use Chemicals and not:  

"Yes, typically hot tubs are drained nightly, because they have to super-chlorinate the water to kill any potential legionella.  Draining pools nightly is good, but not required, only weekly. With regards to the previous poster you quoted, if the ship is outside 12 miles from shore, it can be run as a "flow through" mode, where sea water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the excess flows back to the sea.  When operated in this mode, due to the high "turn over" rate of the water, no sanitation of the water is needed.  However, since changing back to recirculation mode when inside 12 miles and starting chlorination requires the pool to be closed for a couple of hours while the chlorine levels stabilize, most ships only use "flow through" when there are more than 1 sea day in a row, to make it economical."

On 1/28/2019 at 2:27 PM, UnorigionalName said:

The directions placed in front of the pools/hot tubs clearly state to shower before entering.  They place convenient showers right next to these clearly marked signs so you can shower before jumping in.  It takes like 30 seconds.  Why does basically NO ONE follow the instruction? So gross...

Swimming in a cesspool of stranger germs is gross.  

The directions placed in front of the pools/hot tubs clearly state to shower before entering.  They place convenient showers right next to these clearly marked signs so you can shower before jumping in.  It takes like 30 seconds.  Why does basically NO ONE follow the instruction? So gross...

Omg really? Do you understand how many people just urinate in the pools? Life is too short,worry about important things. Do you followevery rule there is/ ever go over the speed limit? Jay walked? List goes on. Lame post.

Edited by rtazz17

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Exactly!

If I tried to avoid everything that was dirty, germy and gross, I'd have to live in a plastic bubble by myself.

People have a better chance of getting sick handling the serving spoons in the WJ than in a hot tub.

Exactly!  I can't imagine going on a cruise and not swimming!

On 1/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, robandana said:

Very few people ever shower on cruise ship pools.....they never informed this rule. I like to sit out catching some Sun and like to watch how many actually shower.....not many.....I think that's why they have such a high concentration of chemicals in the pools.

I shower when I get out