Returning to Celebrity - questions

teamflames

Hi all,

just booked our first Celebrity cruise in over 2 years (done 4 before that). We have booked on the Eclipse a guarantee balcony with classic drinks and obc.

Couple of questions

1. When will our cabin be assigned (we sail Feb 17)

2. The classic drinks package has clearly been downgraded as no baileys, drambuie etc included anymore, how much to upgrade? Can you upgrade in advance and if so use obc? Can you upgrade at any time of the cruise? Do they ever lower the rate of upgrade?

3. If one upgrades and the other doesn’t does it affect service - my wife doesn’t drink a lot of liquors  - but would it cause confusion and constant checking around wines etc. We are not trying to cheat, simply want to avoid having to constantly remind servers who is on what package

4. Dining - if we buy a specialty dining package how is sushi treated? 2 years ago it was just considered one dinner with no surcharge eat as much as you like but on other lines there is often limits or upgrade costs. What is Qsine, any good? Is Murano still excellent? Is it better to get a package before or on the ship?

5. Do they still do the glass blowing show? Looked like there is a fee now?

6 still doing silent disco?

excited about our return, always had a lot of fun on X ships, just seemed to go thru a period where it was too expensive 

When I booked a guarantee I got my cabin number the next day. As for the upgrade it is $10+18% gratuity so $11.80 a day. Sometimes they will have a 20% off sale that you can use to upgrade but if not you can do it anytime before. If I don't get a discount I wait until I'm onboard and go the the bar I think I'll frequent the most and have a bartender upgrade me. They get credit for it and tend to remember you throughout the cruise so added bonus here. Or you can just pay the difference  from the classic to the premium drink price (I always upgrade as I don't want to deal w/ signing a receipt).

Glass blowing is now a class that I believe you have to pay for. Not sure how they deal w/ sushi on the package since I never go. They should be still doing the silent disco as it is very popular. On the last few I've done it's been at least 2 nights.

56 minutes ago, snyniew said:

When I booked a guarantee I got my cabin number the next day. As for the upgrade it is $10+18% gratuity so $11.80 a day. Sometimes they will have a 20% off sale that you can use to upgrade but if not you can do it anytime before. If I don't get a discount I wait until I'm onboard and go the the bar I think I'll frequent the most and have a bartender upgrade me. They get credit for it and tend to remember you throughout the cruise so added bonus here. Or you can just pay the difference  from the classic to the premium drink price (I always upgrade as I don't want to deal w/ signing a receipt).

Glass blowing is now a class that I believe you have to pay for. Not sure how they deal w/ sushi on the package since I never go. They should be still doing the silent disco as it is very popular. On the last few I've done it's been at least 2 nights.

Guarantee cabin will be assigned any time between now and boarding,, there is no set schedule.

You are welcome to go and watch the glass blowing.  About a year ago it changed from the show (from Corning Glass Works) to an interactive "class" (from hollywood glass) where you can sign up to make (and purchase) a piece of glass works.

Steve

Another change since you last cruised is that one only needs to pay the difference in the price with the Classic package, so you can enjoy some items above the Classic  limit without paying for the full upgrade.

i have never done the Sushi on Five with the package, but I have read they give you a generous limit on how much you can spend.

Yes, they are doing the Silent Disco.

On some of the ships Qsine was “converted” LePetite Chef.  Some people do not like it, but my DW and I thought it was very enjoying with excellent food.

IMO Murano’s is still our favorite.

enjoy

11 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Hi again

got cabin assignment, 8240, category 1b, not sure which order the verandah categories go in?

any thoughts upon this cabin, looks like might be interconnecting? 

Yes, stateroom 8240 is a connecting stateroom. 

8 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Thanks, does noise tend to travel thru those doors on X ships like it does on other lines?

We've never booked a connecting room for that possibility/reason. I've read (on this Celebrity forum) noise can be an issue more so with a connecting stateroom. I don't believe (my opinion) Celebrity's connecting cabins would be any quieter than other cruise lines. 

Edited by davekathy

20 hours ago, teamflames said:

Thanks for all the great responses, so do most people buy dining packages or pay individually or is there another way I don’t know about?

I just booked and paid in advance for two specialty dinners on the Celebrity Website.  

The reason I booked and paid in advance is after reviewing these boards, I learned that if you pay full price for individual dinners you have priority choice of the dates and times you wish to dine.  My reservations are set. 

Those who book packages do not have priority and have to wait until they get on board to select their dates and times to dine. 

When I'm paying as much as I am for a cruise, I'd rather have peace of mind and pay a little extra to guarantee my date and time in specialty restaurants.  It's one less thing for me to think about. 

Others may feel differently and not care when they eat as much, in order to save some money by booking dining packages.   

Connecting cabins on Eclipse do not have a door in the adjoining wall.  The doors open into an alcove, like all the other cabins, but they have another door across the alcove which makes a tiny corridor between the two rooms.  If they are not used as connecting cabins this door stays open and there is no more noise than any other cabin.  I haven't explained this very well, but we have been in an Eclipse connected cabin and had absolutely no noise problem.

12 minutes ago, smtcan said:

Connecting cabins on Eclipse do not have a door in the adjoining wall.  The doors open into an alcove, like all the other cabins, but they have another door across the alcove which makes a tiny corridor between the two rooms.  If they are not used as connecting cabins this door stays open and there is no more noise than any other cabin.  I haven't explained this very well, but we have been in an Eclipse connected cabin and had absolutely no noise problem.

Appreciate the response and explanation, won’t worry too much about trying to change it then. Looks like the cabin is on the “hump” so presumably slightly better views as well. Forgot how big the balcony cabins on X are.

also thanks to the other poster about their thoughts on specialty restaurants. I think we will definitely wait until we are onboard and assess how busy and popular it is and see if we can get some deals. Priority is to spend obc on upgrading drinks package 🥳🍸🥂

yes....they do the silent disco, at least on most ships.

You can upgrade the drink package before you go (I think you may have to call) or you can book on-board.  Sometimes there is a discount if you buy/upgrade before the cruise.  OTOH, if you board with the classic package, you can upgrade at any time at any bar, as long as there are three days left on the cruise.  That gives you an opportunity to decide if you really need to upgrade....see what's offered on-board under the classic package and then, if you want, upgrade.  It will be added to your seapass card. No problem with only one upgrading.  If you do decide to share once or twice, just don't be obvious about it.  No one really polices, but you never know.  I can't address the difference in wines under the two packages.  I've been served exactly the same wine in the MDR with classic or premium drink packages....I guess it's up to you and your interaction with the wine steward.  I just say bring me a nice red (I am not really a wine drinker). 

28 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

yes....they do the silent disco, at least on most ships.

You can upgrade the drink package before you go (I think you may have to call) or you can book on-board.  Sometimes there is a discount if you buy/upgrade before the cruise.  OTOH, if you board with the classic package, you can upgrade at any time at any bar, as long as there are three days left on the cruise.  That gives you an opportunity to decide if you really need to upgrade....see what's offered on-board under the classic package and then, if you want, upgrade.  It will be added to your seapass card. No problem with only one upgrading.  If you do decide to share once or twice, just don't be obvious about it.  No one really polices, but you never know.  I can't address the difference in wines under the two packages.  I've been served exactly the same wine in the MDR with classic or premium drink packages....I guess it's up to you and your interaction with the wine steward.  I just say bring me a nice red (I am not really a wine drinker). 

We sailed twice on the Constellation back in late 16 and had the same wine steward on both cruises, and an absolutely awesome guy who knew his wines and was happy to give us any of the premium wines although we were on classic (one of the few times this cheap Aussie has been happy to tip extra haha). The reason I think we will have to upgrade is I like my late night baileys, dranmbuie, amarettos etc etc ... can’t even imagine what else I would be drinking. Don’t mind the thought of having a few of the martini’s either - on previous cruises we had some almighty arguments at that martini bar about being served a “classic” martini but not in a tumbler - only thing I can think of that we didn’t like on X. Agree though will wait until we are onboard to see how we are feeling.