BOGO 2-nt. dining package experience/info

9 hours ago, viperrtblck said:

wow, some of you on here got it for $40/person!  my cruise planner is at $50/person for the BOGO 2-night package right now....guess i'll be waiting till that drops!

You can book it now and then decide whether to cancel or have it repriced if the price falls.

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While prices do vary the older ships with fewer restaurants are typically priced less than Oasis class ships. 

My reservations at $40 pp is on Symphony and it's the newest ship.  IMO, it's a matter of following the prices in the cruise planner or any special sale announced via e-mail from RCL.  Chop's dinner, for instance was $52 pp and RCL ran a promo for 25% off which made it palatable at $39 pp and included grats.  Now it's back up to $52.99 and same for the BOGO dining package..

Just off the Serenade and they were charging around $39 for Chops, plus and 18 percent service charge.  Used to be the speciallty dining cost included the gratuity. Watch your bill to see if the 18 percent service charge has already been added before you add a tip - essentially tipping three times.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Just off the Serenade and they were charging around $39 for Chops, plus and 18 percent service charge.  Used to be the speciallty dining cost included the gratuity. Watch your bill to see if the 18 percent service charge has already been added before you add a tip - essentially tipping three times.

If you book a specialty restaurant online, the gratuity is included.  If you book it onboard, a gratuity is added to the charge.  That's why most people book online for either one restaurant or packages.  

We do book online and even though a tip is included, I have no way of knowing how much it is etc. so we tip at the meal additionally.  To us, it's part of the cruise pricing.

16 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I'm confused.  You didn't have to book BOGO on nights 1 and 2?  Or is this because you also had 3 night dinner package (or 5)?  Thought the whole idea of BOGO is it had to be nights 1 and 2.  We'll be on Symphony in case it was different for you on Independence vs Symphony.

When we booked it in the cruise planner we did pick the time and it said night 1. Once on board we were told that Oasis Class no longer pre reservers any restaurants or nights unless you have FNDR.  We went up to Wonderland and made all our reservations for the 12 night cruise.  We started with night 3 and made a total of 8 reservations. We had the BOGO, the 5 night and 1 thrown in by our TA.  We also had the 3 night but cancelled it a few days before sailing.  The only restaurants not included were Chef's table and Izumi grill.  This was on Symphony in November.  We also had Solarium Bistro booked for night 1 in the cruise planner, and that is where we started.  PS: they have a half price drink special most nights in the Wonderland bar.  We found the entire staff on Symphony to be  helpful, flexible  and friendly. happy cruising 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

When we booked it in the cruise planner we did pick the time and it said night 1. Once on board we were told that Oasis Class no longer pre reservers any restaurants or nights unless you have FNDR.  We went up to Wonderland and made all our reservations for the 12 night cruise.  We started with night 3 and made a total of 8 reservations. We had the BOGO, the 5 night and 1 thrown in by our TA.  We also had the 3 night but cancelled it a few days before sailing.  The only restaurants not included were Chef's table and Izumi grill.  This was on Symphony in November.  We also had Solarium Bistro booked for night 1 in the cruise planner, and that is where we started.  PS: they have a half price drink special most nights in the Wonderland bar.  We found the entire staff on Symphony to be  helpful, flexible  and friendly. happy cruising 

Solarium Bistro is gratis--correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Booked the 2 night special at $40 per thru our cruise planner for the Feb. 2 sail.  When we went to our cabin, I expected as mentioned a notice informing us of the 1st night SR assignment.  No such notice in our cabin.  Went to Chops and made reservation for the 1st night (Saturday).  Asked the reservation staff member if she could make reserves for Hooked Seafood.  She said yes and I mentioned (playing dumb) if it was possible for Wednesday night at 6 PM.. She said no problem and I was elated:classic_biggrin:.  Will remember the process in for future cruises.

Ps.  Hooked seafood was wonderful with lot's of seafood.  The NE clam chowder was really filling and the warm blueberry cobbler with vanilla Ice cream was out of this world.:classic_smile:

We received a notice in our cabin first day that our reservation would be at 6:30 PM at Giovanni’s table.   Rather than assume evening 2 reservation was at Chops for the same time I walked over to Chopsafter dinner to inquire.  They have no record of a reservation. So I booked it at that time. Glad I checked. Do not assume.

It's nice not to HAVE to pay gratuity when have the BOGO or other specialty dining plans but if service is good I'd encourage 5pp tip instead of relishing in getting a great meal and service for 20pp at a specialty restaurant charging considerably more onboard.  This "service charge included" option will go away soon if servers are routinely disappointed the first couple of nights.

22 minutes ago, SAmome said:

It's nice not to HAVE to pay gratuity when have the BOGO or other specialty dining plans but if service is good I'd encourage 5pp tip instead of relishing in getting a great meal and service for 20pp at a specialty restaurant charging considerably more onboard.  This "service charge included" option will go away soon if servers are routinely disappointed the first couple of nights.

I gave $20 per night.  Also, gave $15 for dining at Jamie's free dinner promo that comes with the neighborhood balcony booking.

We are really wanting to take advantage of this BOGO plan....but not sure the 1st night would work for us since the kids club isn’t open.  We typically always eat dinner with the kids while cruising, except for the specialty restaurants. 🙁

1 hour ago, ashley0308 said:

When doing the BOGO dining or the 3 day dining it states $30-35 will be put towards the food portion of your meal.  So you would have to pay out of pocket for an appetizer and dessert?  I am assuming most entrees are around $30

That is related to venues that are ala carte, not cover charge places like Chops, etc.