Explorer Feb 1-17 Buenos Aires to Santiago Live

RachelG

Jackie, happy anniversary to you and Dennis!  I hope your travel issues get resolved.  That is why I always try to plan to arrive a day or two early.  Of course, if we had still been in Tulsa when the big offer to cancel had come in, we wouldn’t be here.  At any rate, I am confident you will make it.

there have only been two hot days thus far—the day we arrived in Buenos Aires and the day in Puerto Madryn.  As move further north, I think it will start warming up fast though.

February 12, 2019–at sea, more Chilean fjords

Chile is long, really, really long. I didn’t sleep as well as usual on a ship due to the ship having to frequently adjust course apparently due to all the islands.  When I awoke, it was very overcast, but there was open ocean to the left, with islands on the right, so we seemed to be out of the maze.

I have to admit, I have been very underwhelmed by the Chilean fjords.  Except for a couple of really nice big glaciers and one big waterfall, the part we saw was pretty boring.  Greenland, Norway, and Alaska are much more spectacular.

Since this is another sea day with much of the same as yesterday, at the request of orthocruiser and a few others, I will write a bit about the ship.

Things I love about Explorer:

Lovely big public seating areas.  The ship almost never feels crowded even on seadays with it being completely full.  Exception would be teatime trivia on a seaday.

The coffee area is very spacious with great seating.

Beautiful decor throughout with close attention to detail.  Even the card room, which on most ships is just a room with some card tables and chairs, is beautifully decorated on this ship.

Proper library which is quiet with good comfortable chairs.

Dedicated person with an office for specialty restaurant reservations.

Specialty restaurants are large, and you can usually get a reservation.

Good storage space even in G2 suites.

Good walking track.

Very stable ship with no vibration and little movement, even when seas are a bit rough.

Buffet area in La Veranda is spacious.  Easy to move around and get food without bumping into others.

Smoking area on pool deck is totally enclosed and well defined.  No smokers at the poor bar, and no smoke drifting over into the non smoking areas on the deck.

Things I don’t love:

The lowest category suites are pretty small.  We are doing fine in our G2, but an H would be tiny.  Bathroom is definitely one person at a time.  We would have booked an F had one been available.

No rear facing lounge.  Explorer and meridian lounges both seem dark to me.  Observation lounge is the only one with good views.

Compass Rose seems noisy unless you get at the very back.

I am not a sauna person, but George hates the saunas on this ship.  They are apparently some sort of infrared sauna, and he doesn’t think they are hot enough.

The exercise class room is way too small.  Only 8-10 people can sign up for a class.  I gave up, because all the classes I am interested in were full.

Poor sight lines in theater.  You have to figure out where to sit to avoid having to look around thick columns.  The balcony is impossible for me as the railing is right at the level of my eyes.

Very narrow stairways.  

But despite all the negatives, I really do like this ship.

Lunch in La Veranda features several different curries.  They also had that really good crispy Indian bread as well as naan.

By mid afternoon, the sun was peaking through though it was still very hazy.  Temperature was definitely a little warmer than yesterday.  I had done my walking in the morning so was just lazy and worked on cross stitch.

Tonight was a pre dinner concert by Evan Bosworth, the assistant CD.  He has a remarkable voice, and sang a wide range of music from opera to pop to Irish ballads.  

We again had dinner in Pacific Rim as the is George’s favorite.  I am hoping he will get tired of it, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.  It was quite delicious.

• Like 2

Rachel, we concur, the Chilean Fjords absolutely take a back seat to what you experience with the Norwegian Fjords.  Thanks for the wonderful pro's/con's Explorer comments we board the Explorer in July, 2020 and will frame our expectations accordingly.  Again, thanks for taking the time to share George and your cruise with us.

Rachel - I am curious!  Where on the Explorer does Trivia happen?  On the Mariner it works well in the Horizon lounge and I find Galileo's on the Navigator too small for Trivia.  On Oceania it is held in the theatre - and I hate that!  So I am curious...

Crispy Indian bread - pappadom or pappads for short.  Had some last night in fact!

15 hours ago, RachelG said:

February 12, 2019–at sea, more Chilean fjords

Chile is long, really, really long. I didn’t sleep as well as usual on a ship due to the ship having to frequently adjust course apparently due to all the islands.  When I awoke, it was very overcast, but there was open ocean to the left, with islands on the right, so we seemed to be out of the maze.

I have to admit, I have been very underwhelmed by the Chilean fjords.  Except for a couple of really nice big glaciers and one big waterfall, the part we saw was pretty boring.  Greenland, Norway, and Alaska are much more spectacular.

Since this is another sea day with much of the same as yesterday, at the request of orthocruiser and a few others, I will write a bit about the ship.

Things I love about Explorer:

Lovely big public seating areas.  The ship almost never feels crowded even on seadays with it being completely full.  Exception would be teatime trivia on a seaday.

The coffee area is very spacious with great seating.

Beautiful decor throughout with close attention to detail.  Even the card room, which on most ships is just a room with some card tables and chairs, is beautifully decorated on this ship.

Proper library which is quiet with good comfortable chairs.

Dedicated person with an office for specialty restaurant reservations.

Specialty restaurants are large, and you can usually get a reservation.

Good storage space even in G2 suites.

Good walking track.

Very stable ship with no vibration and little movement, even when seas are a bit rough.

Buffet area in La Veranda is spacious.  Easy to move around and get food without bumping into others.

Smoking area on pool deck is totally enclosed and well defined.  No smokers at the poor bar, and no smoke drifting over into the non smoking areas on the deck.

Things I don’t love:

The lowest category suites are pretty small.  We are doing fine in our G2, but an H would be tiny.  Bathroom is definitely one person at a time.  We would have booked an F had one been available.

No rear facing lounge.  Explorer and meridian lounges both seem dark to me.  Observation lounge is the only one with good views.

Compass Rose seems noisy unless you get at the very back.

I am not a sauna person, but George hates the saunas on this ship.  They are apparently some sort of infrared sauna, and he doesn’t think they are hot enough.

The exercise class room is way too small.  Only 8-10 people can sign up for a class.  I gave up, because all the classes I am interested in were full.

Poor sight lines in theater.  You have to figure out where to sit to avoid having to look around thick columns.  The balcony is impossible for me as the railing is right at the level of my eyes.

Very narrow stairways.  

But despite all the negatives, I really do like this ship.

Lunch in La Veranda features several different curries.  They also had that really good crispy Indian bread as well as naan.

By mid afternoon, the sun was peaking through though it was still very hazy.  Temperature was definitely a little warmer than yesterday.  I had done my walking in the morning so was just lazy and worked on cross stitch.

Tonight was a pre dinner concert by Evan Bosworth, the assistant CD.  He has a remarkable voice, and sang a wide range of music from opera to pop to Irish ballads.  

We again had dinner in Pacific Rim as the is George’s favorite.  I am hoping he will get tired of it, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.  It was quite delicious.

Thank you for your impressions!  So good to hear.  Just a few questions Rachel (Or whoever might know-Jackie,Bill,others...).

I enjoy drinking coffee in the mornings reading the Wall Street Journal.  Do you know if they let you drink coffee in the library?

Do you know if they have printed versions of newspapers like the WSJ or New York Times in the mornings? If so, are they in the Coffee Bar area or the Library?

Do you know if the Connoiseur Club sports authentic home-grown Cubans?

Is there a piano player or musical combo playing in one or more of the lounges pre- and post-dinner? My wife and I enjoy having drinks and conversation with the other couple we are traveling with before and after dinner.  Is there a specific lounge that is best suited for easy listening music but quiet conversation among the four?

With regard to specialty restaurant reservations beyond the one allotted prior to embarkation, are additional reservations gained by speaking the the specific restaurant's maitre'd, calling a number, and/or speaking to the dedicated person in the specialty restaurant office?

Hope you guys are enjoying smooth sailing.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

28 minutes ago, OrthoCruiser said:

Thank you for your impressions!  So good to hear.  Just a few questions Rachel (Or whoever might know-Jackie,Bill,others...).

I enjoy drinking coffee in the mornings reading the Wall Street Journal.  Do you know if they let you drink coffee in the library?  We always have, no worries.

Do you know if they have printed versions of newspapers like the WSJ or New York Times in the mornings? If so, are they in the Coffee Bar area or the Library?  I believe so but I can't be 100% sure - we have the WSJ delivered to our suite daily (SSS perk) so I don't look for other copies.  Be aware that they're printed on board so they're kind of awkward to read.

Do you know if the Connoiseur Club sports authentic home-grown Cubans?  They have on every cruise I've been on, but I tend to hit a port and buy a few in a reputable local shop - usually better selection and prices, but the Cuban sticks I've seen on board aren't marked up all that much.

Is there a piano player or musical combo playing in one or more of the lounges pre- and post-dinner? My wife and I enjoy having drinks and conversation with the other couple we are traveling with before and after dinner.  Is there a specific lounge that is best suited for easy listening music but quiet conversation among the four?  Others may have better insight on this - I tend to wander the different lounges and bars until I find one that has the 'vibe' I'm looking for - but I've always found something that suits me.  Sometimes they have more, uh, lively choices in the evening, other times it's more subdued - but there's almost always something going on.

With regard to specialty restaurant reservations beyond the one allotted prior to embarkation, are additional reservations gained by speaking the the specific restaurant's maitre'd, calling a number, and/or speaking to the dedicated person in the specialty restaurant office?  There's a central reservation desk for dining reservations; you can usually secure additional reservations in the specialty restaurants, especially if you're willing to share a table as we often do.  But keep an eye on the daily menu in Compass Rose - they usually have some options from the specialty restaurants available, and their usual menu is pretty extensive.

Answers in living color above.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Rachel - I am curious!  Where on the Explorer does Trivia happen?  On the Mariner it works well in the Horizon lounge and I find Galileo's on the Navigator too small for Trivia.  On Oceania it is held in the theatre - and I hate that!  So I am curious...

Crispy Indian bread - pappadom or pappads for short.  Had some last night in fact!

In January the trivia on the Navigator was in the Stars Lounge and not Galileo's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrthoCruiser said:

Others have answered some, but I will give you my answers.

I enjoy drinking coffee in the mornings reading the Wall Street Journal.  Do you know if they let you drink coffee in the library?

No problem with that

Do you know if they have printed versions of newspapers like the WSJ or New York Times in the mornings? If so, are they in the Coffee Bar area or the Library?

we get the Wall Street journal delivered to the suite as a perk, but there are several newspapers each day in the library.

Do you know if the Connoiseur Club sports authentic home-grown Cubans?

no idea!

Is there a piano player or musical combo playing in one or more of the lounges pre- and post-dinner? My wife and I enjoy having drinks and conversation with the other couple we are traveling with before and after dinner.  Is there a specific lounge that is best suited for easy listening music but quiet conversation among the four?

there are piano players or other musicians pre and post dinner in all the lounges.  We usually settle on one we like best—observation lounge is our favorite this cruise.  And it is quiet enough for conversation.

With regard to specialty restaurant reservations beyond the one allotted prior to embarkation, are additional reservations gained by speaking the the specific restaurant's maitre'd, calling a number, and/or speaking to the dedicated person in the specialty restaurant office?

You go to the dedicated person whose office is on the 5th deck right across from reception.  If you drop by a restaurant at 6:30 in the evening, you can also often get a table, but no guarantee.

Hope you guys are enjoying smooth sailing.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Hambagahle, trivia is in the observation lounge this cruise—same place as tea.  Except for today when it is being held in the Meridian lounge because they are having a narrated scenic sailout at 4:30.  The other day when we arrived at the glacier at the same time as trivia, there was almost a riot between the trivia players and the people trying to steal chairs to sit and look at the glacier, so today, they have moved trivia.

Rachel, for scenic cruising, how is picture taking without forward facing outdoor space?  Also, are they keeping windows in observation lounge washed in a timely manner for the scenic cruising?  I ask as I seem to remember they were on a fixed schedule for cleaning.

Marc

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Rachel, for scenic cruising, how is picture taking without forward facing outdoor space?  Also, are they keeping windows in observation lounge washed in a timely manner for the scenic cruising?  I ask as I seem to remember they were on a fixed schedule for cleaning.

Marc

The windows need to be washed more often for sure, but observation lounge is forward facing, just not outdoor.  George and I have observed many times this cruise that the windows need washed,

February 13, 2019–Puerto Chacabuco Chile

Again, a different world.  It was very bright and sunny.  We awoke in a narrow natural harbor surrounded by mountains covered by dense trees and vegetation.  In the far distance were some taller mountains that were snow capped.  There was a very small Industrial looking port directly ahead to which tenders were running.  The temperature was a little chilly, probably around 50F but predicted high for the day was mid 70s.  It reminded me a lot of Alaska.

We had a very short tender ride over to the new looking cruise passenger port building.  We had to go through security once on land.  There was a big basket of confiscated fruit since obviously some people either don’t listen or can’t follow simple instructions about not taking food off the ship.

Our tour wasn’t till 11:45, but they had small shuttle buses to take passengers out of the port and up to the town.  There was a small local crafts area with lots of very nice looking crocheted and knitted items, and all the ladies were working on their handicrafts.  Good prices and quality.

We walked around the small sleepy town.  There were lots of friendly dogs, as well as a single cat.  There was one really nice looking hotel, a couple of stores, a gas station, a cute park, and not much else.

We made our way back to the port building in time for our tour which was a hiking tour on Deer Island.  We boarded a rust bucket of a boat that was probably at least 50 years old, maybe older, but at least had life jackets.  A 20 minute ride took us to a rusty floating dock and a very scary looking ladder up to a steep path into the woods.  Walking sticks were provided.

The first 100 ft were really steep.  Of course, George was first up, but I was right behind.  I could already hear grumbling behind us about the hike being too difficult.  Again, it was listed as a “3 walking man” hike, and it clearly stated that it was steep and required good physical condition.

We reached a clearing with big trees and level ground.  Our guide Jorge (who spoke passable English) explained that what we had done was the most difficult part of the hike, but that anyone who didn’t feel they could do the rest could just stay under the tress there.  About 5 people did just that.

The rest of us had a great short hike.  George pronounces it one of the best hikes ever.  It was beautiful but rugged.  Our other guide, David, did not speak English at all, but he figured out that I understand Spanish, so he was like my private guide, showing me all sorts of things—different trees, birds, where the mama deer hides her baby.  We went up and up to the top of the island for incredible views in all directions then back down to the clearing.  It really was spectacularly beautiful.

Coming back down was a little tricky, but everyone made it safely.  Back to the port, then tender back to the ship.  I really hope those who had over estimated their physical endurance don’t complain loudly to destination services.  This is just the sort of thing that George and I love.  Our guides were super nice guys, if not that great with English.  If you don’t bother to read or pay attention to the fitness level of a tour, it is your own issue, not a problem with the tour.

Trivia was moved up to 4:00 in the Meridian lounge today because there was to be a narrated scenic sailout.  The other day there was almost a riot between the trivia players and those trying to steal our chairs to watch the glacier, so I guess they have separated us today.  We came in 3rd.  If I had stuck to my guns, we would have won, but I wasn’t confident enough.

Sailout was dramatic for sure, with beautiful tree covered mountains on all sides and snow topped peaks in the background.

Dinner in Compass Rose was delicious as usual, with our favorite wine sommelier, Cyndy, who we have sailed with many times before.  I splurged and had escargot, which was SO good.  Followed by potato leek soup and a delicious veg dish which had quinoa and a bunch of veggies.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RachelG said:

The windows need to be washed more often for sure, but observation lounge is forward facing, just not outdoor.  George and I have observed many times this cruise that the windows need washed,

Rachel, thanks; I have no idea what Regent was thinking when they decided to put Explorer in Alaska in 2021.  With no forward facing weather deck and windows in Observation Lounge that are frequently in need of cleaning; seems like the worst ship to put in Alaska.

Marc

57 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Rachel, thanks; I have no idea what Regent was thinking when they decided to put Explorer in Alaska in 2021.  With no forward facing weather deck and windows in Observation Lounge that are frequently in need of cleaning; seems like the worst ship to put in Alaska.

Marc

We really don't know if Explorer is there for the entire season or just for the transition. Likely we'll learn more when new itineraries come out.  Personally, I could care less about being outside of the Observation Lounge.  

First have to give props to Rachel (and George in support) for your terrific South American posts with photos.  Glad to see you both enjoyed your hike (in the bog) in Ushuaia and we also enjoyed our visit to  Punta Arenas last February.

Marc, absolutely concur with you concerning no forward facing (open) weather deck to enjoy iconic itineraries (e.g. Norwegian Fjords, Chilean Fjords, et. al).  This is precisely why when I asked Frank Del Rio in 2016 which ship was doing Norway summer of 2017, he said the Explorer.  We instantly booked Silversea...can't imagine being inside trying to enjoy the North Cape, Norwegian Fjords--we were with at least 100+ Silversea guess on the open decks enjoying these iconic ports.  WE did break down tho, and will be on the Explorer for Copenhagen to Reykjavik next July.

Edited by WesW

Wonderful Thread.  Keep it up.  We have done this itinerary--or a portion of it--twice.  On both occasions, missed The Falkland Island stop due to weather/sea conditions.  Maybe, on a hoped-for 2021 trip, the third time will work. 

Can't resist comment as to folks who complain about the degree of difficulty experienced on a particular walking or vehicle land trip. Reminds me of a Voyager cruise four years' back--Sydney to Singapore--which included a stop at Komodo Island, Indonesia.  There was a very-clear, and detailed advisory posted on that particular 4.5 hour morning and afternoon Tour as to being prepared for extreme heat/humidity. Also, chance of rain.  My wife and I did the sensible thing and took the morning segment.  Still--intense humidity.  Sure-enough.  No more than 1/2 hour into the walking portion along a trail leading to the really, really big dragons--folks in our not-too-happy band began to complain, fall-back, and demand to be returned to shore. 

The guy in front of me was one of those.  He yelled at a Guide, reversed course, and started walking back.  Noted he did not have head cover or a water bottle. Our Guides/Rangers, of course, were prepared for this fall-out.  Those making the decision not to continue were escorted back to shore, to await the next Tender back to ship.  No-one was allowed to go it alone. Because, the previous year, a tourist had been killed by a dragon after making a fatal mistake of going off the designated path.  NOT an urban legend.

It was worth the effort we made to continue.  Rewarded with opportunity to see those Dragons.  But, we had prepared, with water and head cover, and such.  Others had not.  This particular excursion was clearly described as NOT being a walk in the park.  

The moaning and groaning heard later that afternoon and evening when back aboard from others who did not complete that particular Tour.  It turned out four of our morning group (starting out with about 25 folks) were there at the dock when the rest of us returned.  The guy who yelled out was not there.  Apparently, he had caught an earlier Tender.  And, one of the folks on the afternoon Tour had a serious medical event due to the heat.  He was transported on a stretcher from the trail to shore.  Our friends with whom we sailed on that trip were on that same segment and witnessed same. 

Sorry,  No tea and/or sympathy from me.  A clear overview of that particular excursion had been posted; plus, sufficient supplies of water were available for pick-up either upon getting on the Tender; or when ashore. 

Glad we did that particular excursion then.  Because, given the reality of time and tide, I would not do it again. 

Last. More than a few years ago--a Rain Forest excursion via vehicle in Barbados. Like, it rains in a Rain Forest.  The guy seated in front of us complained when it did, indeed, start raining. He was getting wet. We were all provided with an umbrella and there was overhead cover in our vehicle.  So, he got out.  That required intervention from the Guide to delay our vehicle until another jeep showed-up to take him back. 

Simple lesson.  Read tour descriptions, and be prepared, whether when visiting the Dragons, or Devil's Island. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

I agree with GOARMY and Rachel.  PLEASE read the descriptions and do not attempt something that you are not certain that you can handle (more detailed descriptions are in your suite when you embark and there is plenty of time to cancel).  Having people without the stamina to do an excursion ruins it for everyone.

Note:  In the Amazon, I did not go on two excursions - not because of the walking but because I cannot tolerate hot weather for too long.  I did not want to be like a passenger that we encountered in Taiwan last year that complained constantly that it was too hot - that we were walking too fast, etc.  It became so bad that some passengers yelled right back at him.  Fortunately, he found a seat in the shade and sat down.  We enjoyed the rest of the excursion.

• Like 1

It is indeed frustrating when people complain rather than kicking themselves in the butt for not following the clearly stated guidelines.  Perhaps destination services should post warnings on the screen projections for certain tours as we wait for tickets in the theater.  But, hubris is hubris, I guess.  

However, I admire the grit some people have.  On our Antarctica Cruise, we had an 87 year old gentleman who walked with a cane and made every single landing via zodiac.  He didn’t do the hikes, though.  He stayed by the shore and still saw plenty. Anyway, the zodiac pilots ran a tight ship and literally lifted us all on and off the boats, told us where to sit, and insisted we hold on tight during some hairy rides!  

That's been a pet peeve of mine since I started cruising with Regent in 2009.  I can't even count the number of people who have gotten in over their heads on excursions and somehow try to make it a problem with DS.  Of course, DS is between a rock and a hard place because - God forbid! - they tell someone they don't appear to be physically capable of taking an excursion.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It might become necessary to put the physical requirements in BOLD FONTS at the top of each tour description and have people sign detailed waivers for all three-walker tours - or maybe add a fourth category with a  ☠️ icon just so there's no question.  I know that won't fix the problem but it might shut some of these people up...

We were on an excursion to some Mayan ruins a few years ago.  The description of the excursion was easy to understand-- climbing over some rough terrain and uneven steps, wear long sleeves and long pants, sturdy shoes, a hat, bring bottled water, and insect repellent.   Most of the people in our group did not follow the advice.  They wore sandals and shorts, became very thirsty, and we ended up sharing our insect repellent with just about everyone.  They were swatting and whining to no end.  One woman showed up in strappy sandals with a high wedge heel.:classic_ohmy:  Seriousy...and you're going to climb a pyramid?! In the jungle!  As a retired teacher, I wondered how these people made it through high school if they couldn't read the excursion description and follow simple directions!

Ditto to the comments about the Explorer windows needing more washing. They sometimes wash the upper deck windows and the dirty water settles on the windows below. Dinner in Chartreusse last nightcould hardly see the beautiful scenery due to really dirty windows. But overall, Regent does a great job.

19 minutes ago, tripperva said:

Ditto to the comments about the Explorer windows needing more washing. They sometimes wash the upper deck windows and the dirty water settles on the windows below. Dinner in Chartreusse last nightcould hardly see the beautiful scenery due to really dirty windows. But overall, Regent does a great job.

Maybe if Regent included 'Free' bungee jumping on board...and gave everyone a squeegee before they went...

Just thinking out loud here...