Why rush to board?

1 hour ago, FrankNBrew said:

Are there any reasons we would want to rush to board at 11:00? If we can't get into the room until 1:00 why would we want to be on board any sooner? 

Many passengers also like to board early so they can make reservations for shows, activities, change dining room assignments, table location, change speciality restaurant reservation days or times, and so on...

🌴

• Like 6

interesting...we rush on board so we can start relaxing LOL  All kidding aside, I try really hard not to get into the mindset others get into with rushing on board.  We like to arrive early like others have said, because we have paid for that first day.  We go to the windjammer early because we have early dining. 

I have to force myself to slow down because I see others getting pushy or rushing from point a to point b.  I just want to take it all in.  Have a relaxing lunch in Windjammer (while others rush to grab a table, stressing out, waiting in buffet lines) and just take my time.  This is when I try to be extra pleasant with people because this is it...the beginning of vacation time!  :-)

In my opinion I always want to get there as early as I can so I can start enjoying what I have paid for. Why sit around at a hotel or such when you could be enjoying the ship that you paid for? Just my preference. But if you absolutely wanted to get on for whatever reason that might be, again totally up to you, I wouldn’t really recommend any later than 1 or 1:30. 

Normally hotel checkout is 11am.  So we leave before that and head to the boat. I find a lounger, sit back, and relax.  The kids hit the pool and DH wonders the ship to find out where things are.  After 1:15, we have lunch.  We do have the beverage package, but that is NOT the reason I get on early.

I like to arrive early, but there times we've arrived late, I've never felt like I missed out on anything. I have to say, it is nice to be able to go straight to the room and drop bags.

It's also been our experience that arriving early means earlier delivery of checked luggage. Our last two cruises, our checked bags showed up a few minutes after the rooms opened, which was nice. We were able to get unpacked and squared away before muster.

For our next cruise, out of San Juan, we've been discussing arriving later, and spending more time sightseeing, since the ship doesn't sail until 8:30 that evening. It'll probably depend on how much we get to do the day before, which will depend on how early our flight arrives.

Anyway, I figure we're still on a cruise, regardless of what time we board.

6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not for us. We typically board after the rush around 1230-1300. Crowds have mostly gone to their cabins. I think the Drink Package has a lot to do with the mentality to board early and start getting those drinks. 

I disagree about the "drink package has a lot to do with it".

I have been cruising for 30+ years long before the drink packages arrived.  I have always wanted to get on board as soon as possible.  Sooner that I can get away from the real world the better.  No phones, no traffic and back in the day no pager going off.

Checking in has gotten a lot better in the last few years

Having said that, I can also see why people wait to board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

I agree. If you want to drink that early, why not drink before boarding, somewhere where it's way cheaper? 

I've done enough drinking for a lifetime in my younger years. 6 1/2 days of opportunity to drink is way more than I need, or want. 

Some people don't like to drink & drive.

• Like 1

If I've flown in and don't have a car, I go straight to the ship upon checkout from the hotel.  There's not much to do with luggage and no car.  If I'm going to sit around, I'd rather do it on ship where I know if I fall asleep in the sun I won't miss the ship.

If I'm driving to port, I will time it just a bit later.  I don't like waiting too long.  I can  be responsible for my own timetable, but not for those other drivers and construction workers etc that delay my trip 🙂

• Thanks 1

I, too, am of the mindset that I paid for that day and want to make the most of it. I am a non-drinker so that’s not a factor. 

I also like to board early to check out the ship and take pictures before it gets too crowded. 

This August may be an exception bc we are doing our first Mediterranean cruise and plan on checking out Barcelona (we are flying in 2 days early) to the max before boarding. 

6 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

I wouldn’t invite the Uber/taxi driver to drink with us. <roll eyes>

No one is talking about you.  🤔  Some people live close enough to drive to a Port but too far away to Uber.  To each is own.

The flowrider opens at 1:00, so why would anybody seriously board later than that if they want to maximize their time on the flowrider.  Minimal lines the first day, especially when it first opens because so many people forget to carry their bathing suits and put them in their luggage, which is often not delivered til 5 pm or later.

Like others have said, you paid for the cruise, so why not take full advantage of it?  Both for food and beverage.  Why pay for lunch ashore when you have paid for food on the ship already?

We also really like being first on to get the experience of walking around a new (or new to us) ship and exploring without the hordes of crowds.  Great for taking photos without 20 people in the backgrounds too.

Only difference for us on our upcoming cruise is we plan to board late because we want to enjoy San Juan and are unable to extend our vacation due to work restrictions either pre- or post- cruise.  Boarding later will permit us a day in Puerto Rico to enjoy it prior to boarding due to our limited time on the island prior to our cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gatour said:

I disagree about the "drink package has a lot to do with it".

I have been cruising for 30+ years long before the drink packages arrived.  I have always wanted to get on board as soon as possible.  Sooner that I can get away from the real world the better.  No phones, no traffic and back in the day no pager going off.

Checking in has gotten a lot better in the last few years

Having said that, I can also see why people wait to board.

Agree. 

For us it depends on the embarkation port. If it’s Florida we fly in the same day and go directly to port. San Juan we fly a day early and hang by the pool in the hotel until 1:00 and then grab a cab to port. This will be the first time driving to port  at Cape Liberty. Rush hour on Long Island is a disaster on a daily basis and the Belt Parkway has been under construction for longer than my 58 yrs of life. I have no idea of when the best time to leave would be. Probably the night before. We will probably be there earlier than I would like to be because I want to avoid traffic. Flying to Florida the same day as the cruise is less stressfull. If I had my choice I would rather show up at 1:00 to avoid any lines or crowds. Standing in line is not relaxing and I would gladly give up 2 hours of paid for ship time for a more relaxed enjoyable embarkation and an empty Wind Jammer.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

We check out of our hotel in Houston the morning of the 10th. Then a 45 minute ride to Texas City to drop off the rental car. And another 15 minute Uber/taxi to the port. Are there any reasons we would want to rush to board at 11:00? If we can't get into the room until 1:00 why would we want to be on board any sooner? We're supposed to be on board by 3:00. Are there any potential issues with waiting until 2:30?  I'm simply looking for opinions to plan our morning. Thanks.

Because in my mind my vacation officially starts when I have both feet firmly planted on board. And I want my vacation to start as soon as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would love to show up later but b/c I typically need to make specialty dining reservations b/c RCCL does not allow them ahead of time with a package or D+ perk, it's get on early or risk eating at weird times my family does not like or restaurants they would not prefer.

• Thanks 1