Live from Silver Shadow: Voyage #3904; Hong Kong to Singapore, Feb 8 - 22, 2019

Stumblefoot

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

For MBP&O2/O...

Back in La Terrazza last night and the Veal Chop and King Prawns were back on the menu that we started the voyage with.  The preparation was different, but the protein the same.  Two new vegetarian dishes appeared, along with a nice branzino that made its first appearance on the voyage.

12E04664-9B34-4E27-B7B2-E01486EE664F.jpeg

CC0E265D-61A7-4945-9337-721F226AE54B.jpeg

B09FEFDE-29DD-4425-889B-44426875E6EA.jpeg

V Many thanks for posting so regularly as your trip progresses. Especially considering the difficulties with Wifi reception onboard. Really enjoying your comments and pictures & so glad its so positive. The menu is making my mouth water and its 66 days till I can sample some of LaTerrazza's offerings when I board Silver Shadow in Dubai. I have just gone onto My Silversea & booked a few nights to dine there. Thanks.

Sending my best wishes for the remainder of your trip and a safe journey home.

• Like 1

Yesterday was our last formal night on this voyage.  After the Captain’s farewell show, we headed to the bar with Vietnam vets who served in the Navy (on left) and Air Force (on right).  We had such a good time together that we all went to dinner and ended up closing the Restaurant as the last diners of the night.

Today finds us steaming in the southern part of the South China Sea as we head towards Singapore.  We will arrive at least 7-hours earlier than scheduled due to a fresh water issue at the port.  The Shadow will take on fuel overnight and then fresh water will be supplied by barge for the next voyage.  

We plan to depart the ship shortly before 10:00a after having breakfast at 8:30a and saying goodbye to our new friends ZQTChas and his lovely wife Elaine.  We’ll head to our hotel where we’ll spend 4-nights so that we may further explore the city/state of Singapore.

Lastly, for Unibok, I hope that you have the same smooth seas that we have enjoyed the past two weeks.  It’s as if the Shadow has been merely skipping along a pond as compared to a ferocious ocean.  If you can, I would encourage you to get to know the various dining venue managers as they do such an excellent job.  And, should you have the opportunity to have Ricardo in La Terrazza as your server, I promise you will he treated like royalty.  He is the absolute best in the world!

D104EDB4-AAD8-4503-9364-858919221FD9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Hi Stumblefoot, I appreciate your side trip to Cambodia took quite a bite out of your Shadow voyage and was not cheap, did you think it was worth it for the limited time you had there?

Not cheap at all Mr. Silver, but worth every penny.  

I know we could have done the trip much, much cheaper on our own, but if anything had gone wrong with flights, it would be a disaster to have missed the ship.  Cambodia was our third mid-voyage land adventure and the only real benefit I see of using Silversea’s tour service is the peace of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong with transportation, it’s SS who is on the hook for getting us safely back on the ship, not me.

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not cheap at all Mr. Silver, but worth every penny.  

I know we could have done the trip much, much cheaper on our own, but if anything had gone wrong with flights, it would be a disaster to have missed the ship.  Cambodia was our third mid-voyage land adventure and the only real benefit I see of using Silversea’s tour service is the peace of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong with transportation, it’s SS who is on the hook for getting us safely back on the ship, not me.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

When walking all over downtown Singapore for 9-hours, it’s important to keep up ones strength. And, while I’m not a fan of sardines, I could eat the Sardine Curry Puff from the Bhai Sarbat Stall all day, especially when coupled with their teh tarik long pour. Yummy!

7A84D1F7-804D-42B0-8AE0-22A1B13D9ECB.jpeg

• Like 1

I also love the fact that the museums stay open until 9:00p on Friday nights.  We basically had the National Gallery and Peranakan museums to ourselves.  To celebrate our good fortune, we headed to AR Rahman’s Indian food stall for some plain Dosai and Appam.  Tasty!

501E559E-D4DC-4122-8EDB-B5421C837071.jpeg

A6E12D45-F1F5-4366-8D16-CBEA97CEF0A8.jpeg

7717BE9F-574C-4500-BC14-5C2016886BC3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those that have tasted it, you understand.  

For those who haven’t, I encourage you to try it.

Tonight was our introduction and indoctrination to the complexity of taste offered by Peranakan (traditional Straits-Chinese) cuisine.  Every dish was spectacularly contemporary as prepared by Candlenut, the world’s first Michelin-starred Peranakan restaurant.

Kueh Pie Tee Shell (braised turnip, pork belly, prawns, and chili sauce)

600C79D7-4094-4DB9-81BB-BF2321604454.thumb.jpeg.fe0432a8df71ff982e58fb7d6e645811.jpeg

And my attempt at assembling them.

The completed dish.

4741B3CC-DAA1-4F48-96F8-A97392948BDF.thumb.jpeg.62090484fe10199a84aeaeeb95e7af81.jpeg

Grilled Pork Neck Satay (kicap manis glaze)

90681D53-991A-45E8-BAFF-5953B70F0EFF.thumb.jpeg.fb9cce60b60d557b83678c4f2561c67f.jpeg

1. Blue Swimmer Crab Curry (orange dish; turmeric, galangal, and Kaffir lime leaf)

2. Buah Keluak (black dish; chicken with black nut sambal)

3. Rib Rendang (brown dish; wagyu beef, serunding, turmeric leaf)

EF2885F0-31DE-49CD-B69C-98AEE78220C8.thumb.jpeg.19657e62dc616df131ad7a5e2cf73b9f.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zqtchas said:

PS-we missed the m&m for the next leg do to not receiveing the invite!

Check the various folders in your desk drawers.  Sometimes the invitations have been placed in one of these by mistake, rather than being where easily found.  This has happened to friends and once to us.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, Stumblefoot said:

I also love the fact that the museums stay open until 9:00p on Friday nights.  We basically had the National Gallery and Peranakan museums to ourselves.  To celebrate our good fortune, we headed to AR Rahman’s Indian food stall for some plain Dosai and Appam.  Tasty!

Wow, it all looks amazing! Next on my list was the Paranakan Museum, Baba House, and some Paranakan food, but that will have to wait for next trip. Your pictures make me want to do it all the more.

7 hours ago, Wellseasoned said:

Check the various folders in your desk drawers.  Sometimes the invitations have been placed in one of these by mistake, rather than being where easily found.  This has happened to friends and once to us.

Thanks, but it was a delivery problem. Another one went missing.