Serenade of the Seas- Poor Food Quality

23 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

What more proof do you need?

"What more proof" do I need?  ANY "proof."  I've sailed Royal Caribbean at least once a year since 1998.  I have also sailed other cruise lines.  I felt that the food deteriorated as did the service in the early 2000's, but after around 2010 or so it really improved.  I don't do specialty dining anymore because I feel the selection and food has gone down and not worth it to me.  The ships could NEVER handle every passenger booking specialty dining EVERY night.  So you're up....Show me the "proof."  Oh yeah, your opinion is only your opinion, not proof of anything.  

9 hours ago, A2Mich said:

So, it’s a conspiracy theory if it’s an opinion different than yours?  Why is it that most mass market cruise lines budget so little for food per person, if increasing their bottom line isn’t the end goal?

Don't be so absurd.  Of course it's not a conspiracy theory to have a different opinion.  But accusing the cruise line of purposely serving poor quality food simply to force people to go to uncharge restaurants IS a conspiracy theory.  

And I didn't comment on lowering the food budget to increase the bottom line.  Did you even read the discussion?  It was about purposely making the food inedible to force people to uncharge dining. That has nothing to do with lowering the food budget.  

We sailed on the Serenade last Sept. to Bermuda.  Food was wonderful in the main dining room.  I sailed on the NCL Escape in Oct. to Bermuda, and food in the main dining room was not half as good.  We just sailed on the Jewel of the Seas this Jan., and once again, the food in the main dining room did not disappoint.  We also dined at Chops Grille for lunch on the day of embarkation, and food was outstanding!!!

15 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

"What more proof" do I need?  ANY "proof."  I've sailed Royal Caribbean at least once a year since 1998.  I have also sailed other cruise lines.  I felt that the food deteriorated as did the service in the early 2000's, but after around 2010 or so it really improved.  I don't do specialty dining anymore because I feel the selection and food has gone down and not worth it to me.  The ships could NEVER handle every passenger booking specialty dining EVERY night.  So you're up....Show me the "proof."  Oh yeah, your opinion is only your opinion, not proof of anything.  

Easy, don't get your pampers all soggy. First off, I don't care how many cruises you have done on Royal. When the other OP states that the food was horrible and had to pay to get a decent meal by paying extra for it, that's proof that food quality and taste he's been lessened and cheapened. It happening on all lines. See where others have agreed with me in posts? See where others have liked my posts? Food is indeed subjective. I've sailed Carnival, Royal, NCL, MSC, Holland, and Princess. There are the same complaints everywhere. If you want to believe that food quality and selection in the MDR's hasn't dropped and that the better food is now in the SD restaurants for a an extra then that's your choice. 

• Like 1

I was on the January 2nd cruise just after yours and I agree with the MDR. The menu was so boring. I also tried the specialty restaurants though, all three, and found them just as boring. I enjoyed the Windjammer most of all, they had a surprising menu nightly. I wonder if eventually the buffet will be the only free venue on a cruise. 

17 hours ago, potsie57 said:

Just got off the Serenade.  The food was excellent in the Windjammer and MDR.  Plenty of choices and the service was top notch.

I have to agree that the service and food in windjammer has been very good.  One of the best wi djammer experiences I have had.  I have noticed that royal has stepped up service in windjammer as that was my experience on Allure a few months ago.  In windjammer I have sat down and could t believe when a waiter came over and asked if I wanted a drink.  Happened every time I have gone in the windjammer this cruise.

Also noticed pizza has been very good.  Sorrentos on Allure was VERY good compared to sailings a year ago.  Seems that royal is trying harder to make the food better in complimentary venues than making it worse to force you to go to a speciality restaurant.  Had Chops the other night and wife and I agreed it was not as good as last time we had Chops.  There went the "conspiracy" theory.

53 minutes ago, frank808 said:

I have to agree that the service and food in windjammer has been very good.  One of the best wi djammer experiences I have had.  I have noticed that royal has stepped up service in windjammer as that was my experience on Allure a few months ago.  In windjammer I have sat down and could t believe when a waiter came over and asked if I wanted a drink.  Happened every time I have gone in the windjammer this cruise.

Also noticed pizza has been very good.  Sorrentos on Allure was VERY good compared to sailings a year ago.  Seems that royal is trying harder to make the food better in complimentary venues than making it worse to force you to go to a speciality restaurant.  Had Chops the other night and wife and I agreed it was not as good as last time we had Chops.  There went the "conspiracy" theory.

Agree, major changes in Wind Jammer. Pizza improved 100%. Royal Pay Restaurants have been around 20yrs since first ate at Chops, that has changed defiantly not as good in 1999. And back then it was $10 a head when they said the charge was for Gratuities... Now CC talking ship food is a "conspiracy", would think it's a Political site...

Edited by ONECRUISER

I was referred to as a foodie the year before by the beverage and food director. Don’t get me wrong we didn’t starve  but the food is going down hill. I’ve been on over 40 cruises on all cruise lines and they are all declining.  Spoke to. Numerous guest on Seranade 2017 holiday cruise as well as the 2018 holiday cruise this year and I was not the only one concerned. 

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Don't be so absurd.  Of course it's not a conspiracy theory to have a different opinion.  But accusing the cruise line of purposely serving poor quality food simply to force people to go to uncharge restaurants IS a conspiracy theory.  

And I didn't comment on lowering the food budget to increase the bottom line.  Did you even read the discussion?  It was about purposely making the food inedible to force people to uncharge dining. That has nothing to do with lowering the food budget.  

I get what you’re saying, but your use of the term “conspiracy theorist” is an attempt at belittling another.  Are you all knowing and understand all of the facets of cruise line budgets?  I highly doubt it.  How do you factually know that the cruise lines aren’t willfully lowering food quality in an effort to push people towards upcharge options?  The cruise lines aren’t in business to make us happy.  They are in business to part our money from us.  If you choose to be complacent with everything in life, that is your choice.  Others tend to be a bit more observant and vigilant.  Are you one of the same people who scream that corporations are filthy rich, while the poor working guy struggles to make ends meet?  Complacency allows that to continue.  Have a nice evening.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

We enjoy RCI's beautiful ships.  Now when we sail we just resign ourselves to eating mediocre food.  We have all of our meals in Coastal Kitchen (last 3 cruises have been on Harmony) and it is just meh.  

Ive always found something that was at least acceptable.  I also think that over time, the included food selection has fluctuated in quality, while there is generally an attempt made in the upcharge restaurants for better, and sometimes, rather good choices.  MDR seems to be somewhat hit or miss, and buffet choices tend to be more misses for lunch, generally good for breakfast, and a mixed bag for dinner choices.  

1 hour ago, travelmonkey said:

I was referred to as a foodie the year before by the beverage and food director. Don’t get me wrong we didn’t starve  but the food is going down hill. I’ve been on over 40 cruises on all cruise lines and they are all declining.  Spoke to. Numerous guest on Seranade 2017 holiday cruise as well as the 2018 holiday cruise this year and I was not the only one concerned

I'm sure you took a pole.

Wonder why he called you that? Maybe because you complain about all the food. It's not the food. It's you

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

I had the worst meal of my life on a Royal cruise (on Explorer), and MDR is generally abysmal. But Royal is also cheaper than other cruise lines that provide better food in their MDRs. I just factor the cost of a dining package into my cruise and I still come out ahead. My first few cruises were on Disney and I was stunned when experiencing the Royal MDR, in terms of food quality, service, and overall atmosphere. Now that I know what to expect, I just avoid it and plan for the cost of Specialty, which is comparable to MDR on more expensive lines. Problem solved. 

17 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

Not really sure what the OP expects corporate to do with this letter due to a complete lack of details. What made the food poor quality? Just saying its bad is of no help.

It was low quality, not as hot as it should be, and tasted terrible. To point out one example, one night on the buffet, they had Mac and cheese, and it was, without exaggeration, the worst Mac and cheese I’ve ever eaten. It was kind of like taking the sorriest generic boxed Mac and cheese and trying to add seasoning to make it better but only making it worse instead.

6 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

No, Carnival actually provides good food and is cheaper than Royal.

I guess I should have said “Royal is cheaper than upscale cruise lines that provide better food in their MDRs.” Carnival isn’t my choice for other reasons, so when I’m comparing prices to lines I am considering (Celebrity, Disney, etc.), Royal is significantly cheaper. The upscale lines obviously provide other amenities that are also better, but aren’t as important to me. It’s certainly not perfect, but for me it’s a reasonable compromise to take a cruise with a cheaper but decent line and just factor in the price of specialty dining.

Last summer, our Western Med on the Jewel was less than 1/3 of the price Disney was quoting for a nearly identical itinerary on the Magic. We ate in specialty every night and still came out way ahead. Food quality in specialty on Royal is comparable to MDR on Disney. I wish Royal had an option that was comparable to specialty on Disney, but since I’m not paying those prices, that’s ok. I’ve learned through experience not to go on Royal expecting the quality or service I would get on Disney.

Some people are happy with MDR on Royal and that’s great it works for them. After a couple Royal cruises, I concluded that I’m just never eating in MDR. I hate the food, the chaos, and the slow service. Everyone makes adjustments on what matters to them to make their vacation enjoyable. For me, especially on a port intensive itinerary, I’m happy taking a cheaper cruise with Royal and factoring in the cost of a dining package. 

8 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

No, Carnival actually provides good food and is cheaper than Royal.

In your opinion.  The food in the MDR on our one Carnival Cruise was so bad that we ended up eating in the steakhouse the last 3 nights.  Never again.  I’ll stick with RCI and take my chances.

We just did a nine night cruise on Jewel. We ate at Giovanni's two nights and both were excellent. We ate Chops two nights and the first night was great and the second night my dinner was awful. My mashed potatoes arrived cold. I sent them back and asked for hot ones. The second dish arrived cold as well. The red wine reduction sauce came out of the serving boat in glops and was also cold. My steak arrived luke warm. Service was very slow. By the time the server got back to our table to see if everything was ok, my DH had pretty much finished his meal, and I had eaten the edible parts of mine. She asked if I wanted another meal - ahhh .... no! I'd already eaten part of a meal, and I was not going to sit there waiting for a second one. The manager offered to let us come back for free the next night - last night of the cruise - and you know what? We said no. We had had enough of Chops by then. You used to be able to count on Chops being a great meal - not any more.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there are also complaints about the specialty restaurants. That would tend to undermine that nefarious plan to drive people there by lowering food quality in the MDR. Poor strategy to make people pay more and still be unhappy--that would likely make people mad enough to quit a cruise line altogether.