Passport for Cuba visit...

Essiesmom

It is my understanding that US citizens need a full passport book to visit Cuba.  We have people on the MSC board that think a passport card will suffice as they don't plan to get off the ship in Havana.  What are your thoughts/experiences?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I would expect that MSC will be able to tell you what they want you to have for this cruise.

I'd want a normal full passport even if not getting off the ship.

What if they need medical attention while the ship is in port?? What would they do then? How would they get home??

I'm traveling to Cuba in less than four week (WOO HOO) on Carnival.  Per the Carnival website:

You definitely need a passport to visit Cuba.

A valid passport is required for all Cuba cruises… and remember that the passport also has to be valid for six months beyond your cruise to Cuba. Birth certificates, driver’s licenses and passport cards will NOT be accepted. Now might be a good time to renew your passport!

And from the RC web site:

For travelers who were not born in Cuba, the documents are pretty straightforward. You will need:

• A  passport book (NO passport cards or other forms of I.D. will be accepted) valid for 6 months after the sailing date, for all guests including minors.

OP - my thought is that your people on the MSC board won't get on the ship - never mind getting off the ship in Cuba.

I wonder why they have not contacted MSC about this? Other lines seem to have readily available information on the matter. 

If they check the MSC site they will see they must have a passport book. 

What documents are required to cruise to Cuba?

All guests who are not Cuban-born citizens will need the following documents:  

• PASSPORT BOOK – All passengers must have their passport book and it must be valid at least 6 months after your cruise date (your passport card will NOT be accepted)
  • CUBAN VISA (a.k.a. Tarjeta del Turista) - This Visa will be available for purchase to all guests onboard during your cruise for $75 per person
  • AFFIDAVIT - All guests must have their U.S. government affidavit document completed prior to embarkation and give to the agent at check-in (please retain a copy for yourself and keep for 5 years) 
  • VALID U.S. VISA - documentation to enter the United States (when applicable, if guest is from another country outside of the USA)

*Guests may not travel to Cuba with a driver's license and/or birth certificate (including children). 
  • Like 1

The valid US visa for residents of another country can be a trap, too.  Especially if they leave the US for a visit to Cuba.

US visa forms are sometimes issued as one time entry, unless multiple entry is requested and granted.  As an occasional traveler on Amtrak's Adirondack between Montreal and New York City, I've observed many foreign tourists intercepted as they return to the US.  Their visa permitted just a single entry which they used in their initial arrival,  now they have to apply for re-entry after a quick visit to Quebec.

Sometimes the inspectors simply remind the travelers, sometimes the travelers have to fill out paperwork. But, I've never seen anyone deposited track side as the train departs into the US.

As with most issues, I would ask MSC Cruises, etc, for their guidance on the appropriate forms needed for a non-US visitor would need, and whether there's a blanket  exception for cruises, etc

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html