Beverage plan....

bybs

So we are new to the cruising & will be going on Golden princess in early June to Alaska.  My question is, it states..."The packages are available on an individual basis, meaning passengers traveling in the same stateroom do not have to purchase it if one person does."

So does that mean my husband and I only have to buy ONE package causes we'll be in the same stateroom? 

And as long as I'm asking, do you have any do's or don't's or must see or skip suggestions for me?

Thanks

What this means is that both don't have to buy a package but the package is for 1 person only.

In some situations, some people drink alcohol and others don't. Both do not need to buy the alcohol package. One can buy the Soda Drink package and others buy the Alcohol package. 

7 minutes ago, bybs said:

So we are new to the cruising & will be going on Golden princess in early June to Alaska.  My question is, it states..."The packages are available on an individual basis, meaning passengers traveling in the same stateroom do not have to purchase it if one person does."

So does that mean my husband and I only have to buy ONE package causes we'll be in the same stateroom? 

And as long as I'm asking, do you have any do's or don't's or must see or skip suggestions for me?

Thanks

You can buy just one package if you want just one package. But it’s for one person, and sharing is not allowed. 

1 hour ago, bybs said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, the packages are on an individual basis but no sharing is allowed so both of you may want to buy the package.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Look forward to having a wonderful cruise!  :classic_cool:

Still one of the best things about Princess allowing just one person in a cabin to purchase the PBP without all the others 21 or over also required  to purchase the plan.  No sharing of beverages either alcoholic or non ...:classic_ninja:

1 hour ago, bybs said:

Thank you for answering my question!! 

I have a couple other questions but I guess I should start a new thread.... 🙂

Yes, please do not be hesitant to do so.  Many will be happy to answer your other questions.  

Yes, only 1 person needs to purchase but just please be honest and don't share your beverages with your husband.( I am not saying that you will do this) This is happening more and more and eventually Princess will start making everyone in the same cabin purchase the package.

• Like 1

Since the package is no longer "unlimited" but, instead, has a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day, I wish they would offer a smaller package. I might be tempted to pay for a 7 drink per day package for half the cost of the current offering.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Since the package is no longer "unlimited" but, instead, has a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day, I wish they would offer a smaller package. I might be tempted to pay for a 7 drink per day package for half the cost of the current offering.

FWIW........not as many $$$ to be made with a smaller package.

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not as many $$$ to be made with a smaller package.

Well... they won't make any from me with the regular package as I won't pay for it whereas I would likely buy the smaller package. I look at it as being the same as the wine packages. There is a Gold and a Silver package. Why not do the same thing with the liquor package?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thrak said:

They have that plan - you pay per drink!

I have no problems with them putting a limit on 15 alcoholic drinks. Does someone really need to drink more than that?

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

They have that plan - you pay per drink!

I have no problems with them putting a limit on 15 alcoholic drinks. Does someone really need to drink more than that?

I have absolutely no issues at all with the drink limit. I'd just like a small break on the pay-as-you-go pricing which is what I do now. I doubt they will ever offer a smaller plan so I'll just keep on paying per drink. I do also take advantage of the Mayan Mule during the late afternoon "nosh" as it's at a reduced price.

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have absolutely no issues at all with the drink limit. I'd just like a small break on the pay-as-you-go pricing which is what I do now. I doubt they will ever offer a smaller plan so I'll just keep on paying per drink. I do also take advantage of the Mayan Mule during the late afternoon "nosh" as it's at a reduced price.

Your idea sounds reasonable, but I would venture to say if they did a small package (getting, let's say 7 drinks) most, if not all folks purchasing that package would likely hit their limit each day.  Not much room for an increased profit margin.  Whereas the regular package, I would think, is based on people paying for up to 15 drinks but not consuming that many every day.  Thus, they take a risk and hope to have a higher profit margin on those folks.  Just a guess!

57 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

Officially sharing isn't allowed & should be done with desecration.

Don't just sit at a bar & pass your drink to your partner. At least walk somewhere before sharing it. They do watch people sometimes. 

Sharing, any way you spin it, with discretion or not, is cheating!!  How about you just don't cheat??  Novel idea I'm sure for many!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

I agree.

I think in its present form the package invites over consumption and sharing. Make it like a coffee card in gradations of 10 or 15 drinks. The cruise line would probably make more money, and a lot of the problems would be alleviated. People could share, and overdrinking just to get your money's worth would be removed. 

I am actually surprised that Princess continues to sell alcohol like this this. It almost guarantees abuse.

7 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Sharing, any way you spin it, with discretion or not, is cheating!!  How about you just don't cheat??  Novel idea I'm sure for many!

That might have been more true when the package was unlimited but since they've changed it to 15 drinks max, your logic doesn't apply. 

13 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

I agree.

I think in its present form the package invites over consumption and sharing. Make it like a coffee card in gradations of 10 or 15 drinks. The cruise line would probably make more money, and a lot of the problems would be alleviated. People could share, and overdrinking just to get your money's worth would be removed. 

I am actually surprised that Princess continues to sell alcohol like this this. It almost guarantees abuse.

Except for a few "spring break" cruises I have rarely seen abuse on Princess cruises with or without the package