had a great time on victory except the food was awful

chloebell1

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

The Good Samaritan Law in Virginia controls the liability (or non-liability) of a third party that comes to the aid of an injured person in an emergency situation. This law is relevant if you are hurt in an accident and a fellow driver stops to try and help, but makes the situation worse by making your injury worse. In that situation, the "Good Samaritan" would likely be shielded from civil liability (meaning you could not sue them for monetary damages).

These laws very by state.

I'm not a legal expert, but I believe there is a difference between a random stranger helping out and an employee of a major corporation. There is nothing to stop someone from filing a lawsuit. Doesn't mean they will win, but it still creates a mess. 

Edited by Doggielover68
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gameover said:

Every time I see someone order a flat iron steak all I can think of is the sole from my dress shoe.

Flat Iron is a very difficult steak to cook and it has to be MR. A well done Flat Iron will be tough

On 2/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, chloebell1 said:

We sailed on victory last week. My husband isn’t near as picky as me and he thought the buffet and dining room was awful. The burgers  at guys and the pizza were the best food we had on the cruise.  The first night we tried the buffet, we decided to try the dining room the second night.

I know this is a few months old, but I've been on Victory 3 times and each time have been very impressed by the food; EXCEPT for the buffet.  I agree the buffet is just plain NOT GOOD and dinner there is a joke compared to any other cruise (line) out there.  The layout is awful as well of the entire place, tight single file line, ugh... BUT the satellite spots (pizza, deli, Wok, guys) were all great, good quality, and I think Carnival has one of the best included MDR menus breakfast, brunch, dinner.  

On 2/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, coevan said:

To the OP, you lost me when you said Guy's Burger was the best food on the ship. You put a 2 pound press and squish meet until it's well done, number one rule for a Chef, never press a burger or steak. There is so much good food on the ship, however I do agree it has gone downhill a bit over the years. 

It's just a style of cooking burgers - lots of fast food burger places squish the burgers and make them crispy.  It's not the same as getting a $25 burger at a steakhouse and isn't intended to be - I love Guys Burgers.

I don't know the right or wrong way to cook a burger, but between the fresh patty right off the grill and the fixins bar, Guys had me from hello!

I know it's stupid, but I can't wait to get back aboard and have another Guys Burger. I think this comes under the heading of do ONE thing very well. I think that credo is why Guys is the only food venue on the ship that really stands out in my mind, long after the cruise was over. 

I don't know if was an some kind of accident (Carnival has created dozens, if not hundreds of food venues over the years), or what, but Guys is the one thing about Carnival that really stands out in my mind. I wonder if corporate know just how much of a positive impression Guys has left with their customers.

1 minute ago, Squadleader said:

I don't know the right or wrong way to cook a burger, but between the fresh patty right off the grill and the fixins bar, Guys had me from hello!

I know it's stupid, but I can't wait to get back aboard and have another Guys Burger. I think this comes under the heading of do ONE thing very well. I think that credo is why Guys is the only food venue on the ship that really stands out in my mind, long after the cruise was over. 

I don't know if was an some kind of accident (Carnival has created dozens, if not hundreds of food venues over the years), or what, but Guys is the one thing about Carnival that really stands out in my mind. I wonder if corporate know just how much of a positive impression Guys has left with their customers.

I have a friend who was meh about the food on CCL except for Guy's. Lol he gets all excited about getting on the ship because he gets to eat the burgers. He also likes the blue iguana.

1 minute ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I have a friend who was meh about the food on CCL except for Guy's. Lol he gets all excited about getting on the ship because he gets to eat the burgers. He also likes the blue iguana.

Me too!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

We haven't been on Carnival in a while, so I'm looking forward to trying Blue Iguana for the first time. My kids do like Chipotle, which I've read Blue Iguana is similar to. 

For whatever reason, Chipotle's star has faded a little in the last couple of years. That's how the restaurant business is though, a real hot place almost always falls off some, if for no other reason than we've eaten there a lot and just aren't quite as eager to go back as before. The old saying in the industry is, you're either getting rich, or you're going broke, it's one or the other, there's very little in between in the restaurant business. 

Perception is reality in sales, so me not being able to get a Guys Burger, except on the ship, reinforces my desire to have one. Haha, score one for Carnival! People want most, what they can't have. That's a fact, Jack!

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, chloebell1 said:

THe food we thought was the worst was the bacon being greasy and undercooked and the flat iron steak in the dining room and the pork loin at the buffet being very tough. Even the baked potatoes were  hard. At breakfast they would only bring you a shot glass size of syrup at a time and I asked for sour cream at dinner for my potato and they bought a spoon of it to me. My guess is they think those things and butter and jelly packets are being wasted? My husband bought a fish sandwich at the seafood shack and only took two bites, it was really greasy. I do agree about tastes varying, I don’t like the food at the resorts in Cancun beacause it’s too bland but hubby thinks it’s better than the food on the cruise.

maybe it depends on the ship. I hear ya though. i usually like the flat iron when something else doesn't look as good. I as well love my condiments, so you better not cheap out!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, cruisingnewtoit said:

I am just the opposite. I think most of the food on Carnival is decent to good (steakhouse is outstanding), but I am not a fan of Guy’s burgers.  

Edited by PhillyFan33579

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am just the opposite. I think most of the food on Carnival is decent to good (steakhouse is outstanding), but I am not a fan of Guy’s burgers.  

Lol, and you would be half right....ummmm, 2/3rds...

Edited by jimbo5544

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

with you 100% on all counts, we have had some marginal dishes in the MDR, but overall we are very satisfied.