new Princess cut back

DarDee

So many complaint threads right now. There has indeed been cutbacks, but think about why this is.

You can book an inside cabin now for less money than a Motel 8 and three meals at McDonalds. The price of cruising has never been more affordable. My father says he was paying more in the 90's than it costs now.

Cruising on the main lines is very much a budget proposition. It is now accessible to many more people than it was, but that means the experience is also much different.

If you want high end try Crystal. I just checked out an Alaska cruise with them. It was $8000 per person for 7 days. You want high end, it is there, you just have to pay for it.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

My father says he was paying more in the 90's than it costs now.

I began in the mid-1980s & agree with your father.

As you can see in this 1977/1978 Princess brochure for weekend Mexico cruises from LA, the prices are about the same as today.  Add inflation & a $250 cruise fare would now be over $1,000...there’s a fine balance between cutbacks & price increases which could price out even more people from today’s more affordable cruises.  Cruise lines need to fill cabins to generate onboard spending to be profitable.

Like others in this discussion, the routine changing of sheets every 4 days is acceptable to me.

pdf;charset=UTF-8&X-Amz-Signature=b4eb77

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

So many complaint threads right now. There has indeed been cutbacks, but think about why this is.

You can book an inside cabin now for less money than a Motel 8 and three meals at McDonalds. The price of cruising has never been more affordable. My father says he was paying more in the 90's than it costs now.

Cruising on the main lines is very much a budget proposition. It is now accessible to many more people than it was, but that means the experience is also much different.

If you want high end try Crystal. I just checked out an Alaska cruise with them. It was $8000 per person for 7 days. You want high end, it is there, you just have to pay for it.

I’m one of the people complaining about the complainers. I’ll stand behind Princess and trust them to provide me with a good vacation experience. 

With that said, I expect above average service since I paid above average prices for things like a mini suite and other shipboard amenities. I’m not experienced in the cruising world but I don’t think my expectations are unrealistic. 

I think, from the aspect of luxury, my cruise will be as luxury as I make it. 

Glenn

• Like 1

Keep the good attitude Glenn. We went on our first cruise five years ago. Our children were finally getting older, and it was our first adult only vacation in well over a decade. We have been on several cruises since. We have enjoyed every one of them, whether were in an inside or a mini. 

We always eat anytime dining, so that we can meet lots of other people. Often ending up having dinner with a group of 2 or 3 other couples by the end of the cruise, and then keeping in touch with them afterwards.

The only person, we ever shared a table with that I swore to my wife we could not eat with again, was a guy who complained about everything on the ship. He compared it all to Crystal and Seven Seas Mariner. Princess was basically crap.

Here we were just happy to be on a cruise, and thinking we were having a great time. 

Now, I am not saying that anyone who says anything negative against Princess is wrong. I would be one of the first to admit that at times Princess needs to up their game on the food, but most of the time food has ranged between good and great. There is a difference between offering a valid opinion, (most people on this board are doing that) and just being a critical grouch (there are only a couple doing that).

Do not let this board make you worry. Attitude is everything. If you go into your cruise with the right attitude, you will have a great time. If the carpet is scuffed, or there is a leak, it won't even impact your enjoyment of the cruise , unless you want it to. 

The service on every cruise we have been has always been excellent. I think almost everyone on this board can agree upon that.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by RMMariner
typo
  • Like 3

Well said Glenn

"With that said, I expect above average service since I paid above average prices for things like a mini suite and other shipboard amenities. I’m not experienced in the cruising world but I don’t think my expectations are unrealistic. 

I think, from the aspect of luxury, my cruise will be as luxury as I make it. "

ok  if Princess is mid tier then compared to Carnival would be low tier

A suite on Princess about $400-500 per day per person.  where as Carnival about half that

then you go to Hal it is more... then you go Seabourne well over double of Princess

( note only carnival corp lines )

So you can made as luxury as you like a suite, specialty restaurants and good wine,

or do as a friend did... inside cabin ate at the buffet and only water, tea and coffee.

We are lucky to able to go cruising and enjoy ourselves. and Princess makes us happy

Cheers Don

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:55 AM, DarDee said:

does everyone realize that Princess has now cut back on the days between changing of the sheets on our beds?  it used to be 3 days and now it's 4.  pretty soon, who knows how many times they will change it over a 7 day cruise.

we must write this on the surveys.  I love clean sheets and have considered asking for every 2 days but haven't because of other cut backs.... no staff but that's another story.  Write it on your surveys!  write it on the ship and give to Pursers.  The cut backs are ridiculous.  Notice we don't get rack of lamb, escargot, and other dishes in the dining room?  that's another topic.

thanks..... complain  

Simple.  Just ask your steward for every 2 days and slip them a nice gratuity while asking.  The answer will most likely be yes and you will noth be happier.

• Like 3

I like having my sheet changes 3 times a day.  In fact, I hope they wake me at 3:00 am to change my sheets.  

Just kidding....seriously, are you even considering the environment and how washing basically clean sheets all the times is not good?  

I'm not happy about the staffing cutbacks.  I'm not happy about the dining room wait times that are not ridiculous.  I'm not happy that the staff now has to work twice as hard to 'earn' the tips to make up for their salaries.  New sheets every 2 day is not something I even think about.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Simple.  Just ask your steward for every 2 days and slip them a nice gratuity while asking.  The answer will most likely be yes and you will noth be happier.

The problem with that is that your room steward is not given an infinite amount of time each day to do his duties.

They are timed down to the minute in how many cabins they are required to do per shift.

One person asking for extra may be doable, several is going to get them in trouble with their management.

And no, a bit of small change in the hand is not going to make up for that trouble.

The answer is to ask Princess to increase fares so that they can employ more staff. Or alternatively, suffer the vicissitudes of unchanged sheets.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

We book suites and it does bother me that the sheets are changed everyday.   Some nights I have terrible hot flashes and my sheets need changing but the majority of time, I make the bed, otherwise they change the sheets.  It is a waste of resources.  As others have said, I don't change the sheets everyday at home.      

Some of you say, ask the steward to change them every two days.  Yes, they want to make you happy but it is not fair for you to ask them to go against the normal routine - if their supervisor found out, they would be reprimanded.  If everyone did that, they would not have time to clean all your cabins (they are over worked the way it is)  and can you imagine the strain it would put on the laundry.  People complain that laundry is taking so long when the cruise has high numbers of elites.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Finally, a voice of reason in a sea of busy bodies.  

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, 4cats4me said:

People can have medical reasons why the sheets might need to be changed more frequently,  but of course, all one would need to do is advise their steward for more frequent changes. 

THANK YOU for jogging my memory. I meet this criteria, and must ask the steward to supply a certain item, which I had forgotten I needed to write on my Cruise To-Do List. With your comment, my memory received the needed reminder, and a note is made in my diary.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, Grburkart said:

I expect above average service since I paid above average prices for things like a mini suite and other shipboard amenities. I’m not experienced in the cruising world but I don’t think my expectations are unrealistic.

what is this 'above average price' you are comparing to ?

• Like 1

Thank you OP for your observation and for sharing the product offering change.

Many consumers are indulgent of their service providers and accept all downgrades without complaint, usually finding some excuse to explain away the reduction in the product.  

Other consumers are not forgiving of downgrading, especially when it is corporately hidden.

This is what you learn in marketing 101.

Rock on OP! Let us know if you observe or learn of any further cutbacks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

Just kidding....seriously, are you even considering the environment and how washing basically clean sheets all the times is not good?  

Princess has been very pro-active about the environment. I commend them for doing what ever they can to pollute less. As someone mentioned, clean sheets at the start of a cruise is fine by me, especially a 7 day. 60 just might be to long. LOL

Link to Princess Statement.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what is this 'above average price' you are comparing to ?

I know where you’re going with this question and perhaps I could have worded it different. Very few people would spend what I have spent for the cruise I’m on. 

I paid for the “extra” fees for a mini suite, club class, premium beverage package, spa treatments all in the hopes and expectations that the service is improved as a part of the amenities. Not unlike flying first class on an airplane. 

I could break it down per item if you wish but as a solo traveller, this cruise (22 days) has cost me over 30k. That is above average to what the average person will pay. 

I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. 

Glenn

2 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

I know where you’re going with this question and perhaps I could have worded it different. Very few people would spend what I have spent for the cruise I’m on. 

I paid for the “extra” fees for a mini suite, club class, premium beverage package, spa treatments all in the hopes and expectations that the service is improved as a part of the amenities. Not unlike flying first class on an airplane. 

I could break it down per item if you wish but as a solo traveller, this cruise (22 days) has cost me over 30k. That is above average to what the average person will pay. 

I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. 

Glenn

Glenn - if I was to spend $30K on a cruise, it would not be on Princess!

Not sure when your cruise is but I would jump to a higher end cruise line that really will provide good service and food for what you are paying.

I have mostly sailed in Minisuites but I will sail in any type of a cabin. I would rather have a less of a cabin and a higher cruise line than spend what you are spending on Princess.

Oh - and I would book with a TA who would probably discount 10% of the cruise fare (not taxes and fees).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Glenn - if I was to spend $30K on a cruise, it would not be on Princess!

Not sure when your cruise is but I would jump to a higher end cruise line that really will provide good service and food for what you are paying.

I have mostly sailed in Minisuites but I will sail in any type of a cabin. I would rather have a less of a cabin and a higher cruise line than spend what you are spending on Princess.

Oh - and I would book with a TA who would probably discount 10% of the cruise fare (not taxes and fees).

It’s a little bit of “smoke and mirrors” with what I said. The numbers are correct but that includes 3k worth of excursions. I picked high end excursions for smaller crowd size considerations and special events. Heck, one culinary excursion was $550.00. That’s not a complaint, just pointing out it’s part of the cruise price. 

Along with that, the extras such as spa services really add to the price plus business class air transportation keep the numbers up. 

It’s to make my point that the level of service is in direct correlation to the price you pay. Again, that’s my expectations. 

FWIW, the basic club class mini suite and the fact I had to pay double as a solo traveller, the amount was in the neighbourhood of 21k. 

Glenn

To edit this, it’s a 22 day cruise of the Mediterranean in October. 

Edited by Grburkart