Bottled water

tjcletzgo

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

A 12 pack 1L on Symphony was $48.00 + 18 % service charge. 

Our upcoming Anthem sailing was on sale last week, prices were something like $39 for 12 and $68 for 24, + 18%.  Sales pop in and out over time, have to keep checking back.

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Carnival has bottled water that you can purchase for like $5 for 12 bottles. RCI  should be ashamed to only offer Evian at $40-a total rip off.

They have to recoup the cost of Diamonds taking water bottles every night from the Diamond event. I see people walking out with four bottles,  Adds up with some cruises having a thousand plus Diamonds, as on our last Symphony cruise.  I don't think  Carnival gives out a thousand bottles a day for free.  Same reason RCI has raised their drink prices, a bar tender told me on our 12 night transatlantic they anticipated 50,000 no charge cocktails, beer, and wine orders. 

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

They have to recoup the cost of Diamonds taking water bottles every night from the Diamond event. I see people walking out with four bottles,  Adds up with some cruises having a thousand plus Diamonds, as on our last Symphony cruise.  I don't think  Carnival gives out a thousand bottles a day for free.  Same reason RCI has raised their drink prices, a bar tender told me on our 12 night transatlantic they anticipated 50,000 no charge cocktails, beer, and wine orders. 

Diamond Event??!!   :classic_huh:

If RCL or the other cruise lines wanted to put money and time into it as an investment, they could easily sell their water on board in bottles and it might be purer than the water you would find in stores.

I've been there before. Right before a cruise, hauling out a case of water of the car with our luggage, everyone had a good laugh, I put it back in the car realizing how silly it looked - bringing bottled water on board.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Diamond Event??!!   :classic_huh:

Call it what you will.

From Royal...

The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event is a benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club member and cannot be extended to include friends and family. The event will take place approximately between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Three nightly drink vouchers will be loaded on the member’s SeaPass card to be used in venues throughout the ship

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Call it what you will.

From Royal...

The Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event is a benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club member and cannot be extended to include friends and family. The event will take place approximately between the hours of 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Three nightly drink vouchers will be loaded on the member’s SeaPass card to be used in venues throughout the ship

Empress and Majesty...only ships left with "Diamond Events".   The event also includes suites guests since there are no CL/SL on those ships.  

Edited by island lady

21 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

I very much highly doubt that this is the reason why water prices are so high. They do not give out the Evian water in the diamond lounge they give out a normal bottle. The ones that you can buy at any bar for $3. They are charging a premium for what people think is premium water. 

• Like 1

I drink whatever water comes out of the tap in the bathroom in my cabin.  I used it to fill a quart-size Nalgene bottle.  If you get soda, do you think they're mixing it with bottled water?  Nope, same as from that tap.  If you get a glass of water at dinner?  Same as the tap.  Any ice, same water.

The Chief that's a resident on these boards may be able to chime in on this, some or most modern ships actually make fresh water from sea water using a small plant on board (reverse osmosis or some other purification means).  As someone else said, it's probably MORE pure than bottled water.

tap water on board the ship if very saline so that why some people prefer bottled water. I for one buy the bottle water along with free bottle water from the lounge.  To say the desalination water made on the ship is more pure than bottled water is funny... it takes more processing to make seawater potable   

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

tap water on board the ship if very saline so that why some people prefer bottled water. I for one buy the bottle water along with free bottle water from the lounge.  To say the desalination water made on the ship is more pure than bottled water is funny... it takes more processing to make seawater potable   

No offense, but your comment makes you appear as if you have no understanding of how the water is treated on board the ships. Please read up more on the topic.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, blueridgemama said:

Carnival has bottled water that you can purchase for like $5 for 12 bottles. RCI  should be ashamed to only offer Evian at $40-a total rip off.

I was looking for a WOW button......it's really THAT much? I'll settle fine for getting the on board water for free.

15 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

They do a good job with the seawater desalinization...but that is not the main water source.  Only when they have to do it, according to officer we talked to.  The problem is the regulation of how and where they can dump the salt brine.  It is also a very expensive process.  Take a look around you on the dock at ports you visit, you will find many that have "potable water" lines hooked up to the ship.  

there are two sources of water ( seawater and port water). Seawater is processed by wither desalination or reversed osmosis which is done on almost all ships. I would find it very hard to believe the cruise line would pay for water from islands like St. Maarten which would be very expensive. And just getting off Oasis last week i didn't see any waterline connected at St. Thomas or St. Maarten