MSC Orchestra And MSC Poesia Collide In Buenos Aires

SeaTheW0rld

We were on a cruise once were we had the opportunity to have dinner with the Capt. and he told us that he did have to over rule the pilot and take over on a port call in Africa. I'm sure the tug boat Capt is also going to have to answer a lot of questions.

I read on Cruisetricks.de (German cruise expert website) that they already assessed the damages at anchor in Punta del Este two days ago and now decided to substitute Buzios with Itajaí. The ship arrived at the anchorage position in Itajaí at 8:00 LT. Not sure if they are too large to dock at the river cruise pier or if they need to anchor offshore due to the damages.

52 minutes ago, sidari said:

Orchestra will be stopping at an Emergency port today so authorities can assess the damage to the ship, at this stage no info on which port.

The MarineTraffic website has her docking into Itajai today at 07:30 LT.

Poesia scheduled to arrive at Santos, Brazil at 07:30 LT.

Hopefully they can both be assessed and repaired. We have 90 days until we embark Orchestra, that should be long enough to fix her :classic_blink:

Lots of people mentioning the word “ Blame”.

Safety Management System and safety philosophy has a NO BLAME policy, where incidents are used to learn from and to make the operation Safer, and not to punish, unless deliberate disregard of procedures or gross negligence caused or attributed to the incident.

this policy is nowadays adapted by all Cruiselines and Airlines and is a core value in the total Safety Policy.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, Beamafar said:

Cheers ... sounds like the cruise from hell!  Wonder what sort of compensation's being offered.  Did I hear something about full refunds?

actually I was onboard the Epic and what we get is 100% credit of what was paid for that cruise towards a future cruise and up to $300 per person for airline change fees and depending on circumstances reimbursement for saturday night after arrival hotel although we could also stay onboard saturday night if we chose too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CruiseMapper has this as the description of the accident and damage

On February 20, 2019, the fleetmates Orchestra and Poesia collided at Port Buenos Aires (Argentina). MSC Poesia was docked for a scheduled port stay (7 am - 1 pm) while MSC Orchestra was maneuvering for berthing.

No injuries or pollution were reported. Both ships sustained only minor hull damages and were cleared to continue their voyages as planned. Reportedly, one of Orchestra's lifeboats (on Deck 7) was slightly damaged, while Poesia's bow had a visible scratch.

The accident occurred at the end of 9-day South America cruise (itinerary Feb 11-20) roundtrip from homeport Buenos Aires to Uruguay (Punta del Este) and Brazil (Ilhabela, Rio de Janeiro, Buzios, Ilha Grande).

On 2/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, Beamafar said:

As it's your thread, STW, can I ask you to elaborate on the Epic incident.  I heard about there being one and I'd really rather not go over to the NCL thread to read about it.  I only had cause, once, to go to another forum and that was because we were booked on Celebrity and I wanted to learn as much as I could.  This one is about as much as I can deal with.

Oh you definitely don't want to loose any sleep over that Epic thread. Some imbecile turned it into a farcical argument over whether "gash" was a synonym for "dent"!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ssmea03 said:

Oh you definitely don't want to loose any sleep over that Epic thread. Some imbecile turned it into a farcical argument over whether "gash" was a synonym for "dent"!

NCL people don't play nicely with each other.  Another reason not to do business with that line. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

My curiosity is aroused, now.  Maybe I'll take a gander over to the forum and check it out!  😝

You could start with my "live from" thread.  It got so heated it was eventually edited, severely, and closed. 😂 https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2627943-epic-failure-live-onboard-now-1262019/?tab=comments#comment-56643741

• Like 1

Fortunately we don't get too much of that, here (though there are one or two that like to stir it up a bit - I just ignore them.  If it becomes a real pain, I'll put them on ignore.  But that would only be in rare instances).

There were a couple of threads on here a while back where it got similarly heated and edited;  if I remember correctly one of them was about the nasty smell on Seaside when she first sailed.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Fortunately we don't get too much of that, here (though there are one or two that like to stir it up a bit - I just ignore them.  If it becomes a real pain, I'll put them on ignore.  But that would only be in rare instances).

There were a couple of threads on here a while back where it got similarly heated and edited;  if I remember correctly one of them was about the nasty smell on Seaside when she first sailed.

Well, I'm done with them.  I filled out the survey and named names (bad and good).  That's all I can do.  I submitted a review to CC, but they haven't published it yet.