Formal Night on 15 Day Hawaii Cruise - Attire

pianoman4sq

17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

I have a nice Hawaiian style shirt with a Hidden Micky Mouse on it.  I wear it to formal nights and non-formal nights.  Though, I do have a Wilson's Suede and Leather Leather Sport Coat for Formal nights.  Sometimes I don't wear the MM shirt but do wear a Costco Hawaiian Shirt, I have several of those.  I do pack a tie so that if I feel like wearing a tie, I have one and don't have to shop in the Shops Of Princess for one I like, but many times I see a tie or even a hat I like there and I'll wear that even on formal nights but take the hat off when seated, since I think one needs to pay respect to other guests and maybe Ladies by removing my cover in their presence.  Or I wear a Tux ... but never with a cummerbund, I hate those, I have a nice vest if I feel like wearing it, or not.

Yes.

In my own mind there’s the idea that certain times in our lives we need elegance and stature. 

Here we have such a moment in time presenting itself in the form of formal dinners, be it on a Hawaiian cruise or a Caribbean adventure or anywhere in the world for that matter. It all comes down to the same thing. Do we act like the Mayberry folks or the Kardashian’s? 

Having said that, I doubt Hawaiian formal wear is a tuxedo. The same with the other cultures of the world, so I suppose it depends on where you are or where you’re from that’ll dictate the nature of your attire. 

Cultural, to me, is a tuxedo. To someone else it’s totally different. 

When the men and the ladies are dressed formally, wow! It’s actually spectacular. 

Glenn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

it would be much better if everyone posts what they wear on formal nights and let the newbie make their decision as what to wear.  

I kinda think we’ve been doing that. 

You and I are gonna tear ‘em up in Greenland on Formal nights!! 😃

We don't do "formal nights". Life is too short to stand around and try to impress other people, which is really what "formal night " is all about. 

The buffet or a specialty venue work just fine for us.

I predict that in 5 years or less, "formal night" will be a thing of the past anyway, at least on most mainstream lines. Princess recognizes this also, which is why they don't enforce the "suggested" dress code.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

Princess recognizes this also, which is why they don't enforce the "suggested" dress code.

The only small quibble I have with what you are saying is that I have not and will not allow a mere suggestion to drive me away from my preferred dining venue. That is CC in the MDR. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

We don't do "formal nights". Life is too short to stand around and try to impress other people, which is really what "formal night " is all about. 

I predict that in 5 years or less, "formal night" will be a thing of the past anyway, at least on most mainstream lines. Princess recognizes this also, which is why they don't enforce the "suggested" dress code.

I agree. Lots of choices.

We are doing Hawaii in April.  Everyone in our party is flying 3000 miles to SFO and packing conservatively.  The fashion police won't be delighted by our "formal" attire, but they don't pay our fare.  We all do have some Aloha attire and plan to enjoy wearing it. 

P.S.  I like the Mayberry folks. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SheriffJoe said:

Actually it was Hawaiian shirts under our tuxedo's, all 4 of us....remember?

Haha! I had originally attached our pic but then decided to remove it.  Had forgotten you guys wore tuxes!  Hahaha

• Like 2

History of Hawaiian wear.  Even though Hawaii is in a tropical zone, men wore suits to work.  Then it was Aloha Friday and men were allowed to wear an Aloha shirt.  It is now common pace to wear Aloha shirts year around.  Very few places require a tuxedo, but there are still a few times that a suit/sport coat can be worn for "formal" occasions.  

I love formal nights.  I don't do the gowns anymore, but my dress is a little more decked out than smart casual.  Heck, I still wear dresses when I go dancing.  BTW, I am "younger in years" than the average Princess cruiser.  

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Maybe instead of beating a dead horse, it would be much better if everyone posts what they wear on formal nights and let the newbie make their decision as what to wear.  

Satxdriver I agree. This is what I wear on formal nights. Don’t say you like the Pirate Tux better.:classic_biggrin:

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

20C0DC12-F6BD-4E42-B9D1-B82AEAEFDD54.jpeg

78592082-59ED-4BBF-802C-FB43FA6E73C2.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Satxdriver I agree. This is what I wear on formal nights. Don’t say you like the Pirate Tux better.:classic_biggrin:

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

20C0DC12-F6BD-4E42-B9D1-B82AEAEFDD54.jpeg

78592082-59ED-4BBF-802C-FB43FA6E73C2.jpeg

Thank you!!! That just downright looks great. Nice touch!

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

4 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I think you and my husband shop at the same stores.  Or in my husband's case, I shop for him, pack his suitcase, and he wears it.  The alternative would be for him to do it himself, but that is not happening, lol. 

If I were to do the packing I wouldn't even qualify for smart casual. Perhaps rumpled mess night might work out though.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I agree but just look at the good meals your missing in the DR in the mean time for lack of just wearing a dress shirt even without the jacket. 😢

I mentioned this thread to my husband and I loved his response. 

He doesn't wear a suit on a day to day basis.  He's an industrial electrician who spends his days in coveralls.  He loves to get dressed up and that's one reason he enjoys cruising; where else can you wear a tux and not raise an eyebrow.  Ok, a few eyebrows get raised, but as I mentioned earlier, as long as no one wearing an Hawaiian shirt tackles us, we're good. 

That being said, with an ear to ear cheeky grin, he said he is very happy to not have to wear a suit every day!!  🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

.... " 

" They put me near the front and I had all sorts of staff visiting me with lots of specialattention every night.  No problem. And I got to see who they turned away for dress code. It was highly entertaining. "

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

I think the prediction is a little late -- I believe Princess is the only mainstream line that still uses the term Formal Night.  

7 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

I think the prediction is a little late -- I believe Princess is the only mainstream line that still uses the term Formal Night.  

I believe you're correct. Princess still holds on to the term in hopes of keeping their formal night sales high.

The formalists still enjoy it & spend their dollars for that special occasion (especially the women) while they turn their backs on all but the most flagrant violators.  

4 hours ago, Anubi said:

I mentioned this thread to my husband and I loved his response. 

He doesn't wear a suit on a day to day basis.  He's an industrial electrician who spends his days in coveralls.  He loves to get dressed up and that's one reason he enjoys cruising; where else can you wear a tux and not raise an eyebrow.  Ok, a few eyebrows get raised, but as I mentioned earlier, as long as no one wearing an Hawaiian shirt tackles us, we're good. 

That being said, with an ear to ear cheeky grin, he said he is very happy to not have to wear a suit every day!!  🤣

I agree