Swimming with pigs.

18 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Paying money to swim with pigs in a soup of their own poop/food??  What does Royal charge for this excursion?

Next thing you know there will be a "swimming with the Canadian Geese" excursion on the Canada/New England cruises!

More like, shore excursion GG1.  Golf with the Geese - available at any course near you.

Is that your divot, or a goose poop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

More like, shore excursion GG1.  Golf with the Geese - available at any course near you.

Is that your divot, or a goose poop?

Here in the southern U.S. we sometimes golf with alligators, but not by choice :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, MrsPete said:

Swimming with pigs? 

Take it from a farm girl:  Pigs do not like you. 

Do.

Not.

Like.

You. 

And they are strong. 

This!  DH and I were both kids, and when I told him about this excursion, and showed him the video, he basically said what you said 🙂.

And, yes, I know, pet pigs can be awesome and sweet.  But the pigs on the video don’t seem like sweet cuddly pets!!

We did it many years ago from Exuma. It was part of a day sail tour. The 'original' feral pigs were shipwrecked many years ago (so the story goes) and started a colony. 

Since  Exuma has gotten popular (Sandals bought a place there less than a decade ago), and this is where "Frye Festival" was supposed to be held (see netflix, quite interesting) AND the episode of the Bachelor where they swam with pigs, the excursions in Exuma have exploded and become a quite a big problem.

Seven pigs died recently. Originally they thought it was from being fed alcohol by tourists. Turns out it was from sand in their bellies. Apparently they swallow lots of sand accidentally during the food frenzy created by tourists feeding them.

Looks like RCL is trying to capitalize on the original feral pig colony. The RCL excursion was created for the sole purpose of separating tourists from their money, since Pig Island is no where near CocoCay.

I recommend skipping this. 

3 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

This!  DH and I were both kids, and when I told him about this excursion, and showed him the video, he basically said what you said 🙂.

And, yes, I know, pet pigs can be awesome and sweet.  But the pigs on the video don’t seem like sweet cuddly pets!!

Lol- meant to say FARM kids 🙂

Recently went to Freeport to a beach club that was located next to a set-up for "swim with the pigs".   After speaking with one of the locals there about the pigs, I learned that the pigs are kept in this cement bunker-type building out on a tiny piece of land just off the beach....they are only allowed out of the structure when tourists pay up.  The "island" is so small that when storms come and rough seas occur, saltwater floods their building and pigs have been known to drown.  When business is slow, multiple days pass with no one going out to check on or care for the pigs and they are trapped in the structure without proper food, water or freedom to roam or even attempt to fend for themselves.

It is disturbing and I will not partake in this type of innocent animal exploitation; if it is a naturally occurring situation (such as Exuma maybe?), fine.  Otherwise, no thanks.

53 minutes ago, ramidon1 said:

Recently went to Freeport to a beach club that was located next to a set-up for "swim with the pigs".   After speaking with one of the locals there about the pigs, I learned that the pigs are kept in this cement bunker-type building out on a tiny piece of land just off the beach....they are only allowed out of the structure when tourists pay up.  The "island" is so small that when storms come and rough seas occur, saltwater floods their building and pigs have been known to drown.  When business is slow, multiple days pass with no one going out to check on or care for the pigs and they are trapped in the structure without proper food, water or freedom to roam or even attempt to fend for themselves.

It is disturbing and I will not partake in this type of innocent animal exploitation; if it is a naturally occurring situation (such as Exuma maybe?), fine.  Otherwise, no thanks.

If this local told you that pigs fly, would you believe that too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

If this local told you that pigs fly, would you believe that too?

I actually believe the conditions aren't even as nice as probably described.  It's not far fetched to think what goes on when no one is watching is awful! But where they can find money they'll set up such activities.  

50 minutes ago, broberts said:

what would be the basis for not believing the comments about pig living conditions? 

50 minutes ago, broberts said:

what would be the basis for not believing the comments about pig living conditions? 

I could see with my own eyes the "island", the bunker, the advertising....was hoping to see the pigs wandering freely enjoying themselves & that's why I spoke with the local guy about where they were....not sure why the other poster had to be so condescending & rude; people enjoy that I guess.