😎 Pre Cruise Sydney Suggestions

luv2cruisewl

Our plane arrivesΒ in Sydney from California, USA, early on Tuesday April 9th and our ship sails FridayΒ afternoon.Β  Β We are looking forΒ πŸ”ŽΒ "off the beaten path"Β things to see/do in Sydney area in this short amount of time.Β  Β Of course we have read travel summaries but sometimes best suggestions come from locals. Or perhaps people that have visited Sydney in the past. Perhaps restaurant ideas or interesting pocket areas to visit.Β Β  I love this quote "Don't just listen to what they say...Go See!"Β ο»ΏΒ So please help us seeΒ πŸ˜ŽΒ Β πŸŒΒ Β πŸ”ŽΒ Β πŸ“·Β 

3 hours ago, luv2cruisewl said:

Our plane arrivesΒ in Sydney from California, USA, early on Tuesday April 9th and our ship sails FridayΒ afternoon.Β  Β We are looking forΒ πŸ”ŽΒ "off the beaten path"Β things to see/do in Sydney area in this short amount of time.Β  Β Of course we have read travel summaries but sometimes best suggestions come from locals. Or perhaps people that have visited Sydney in the past. Perhaps restaurant ideas or interesting pocket areas to visit.Β Β  I love this quote "Don't just listen to what they say...Go See!"Β ο»ΏΒ So please help us seeΒ πŸ˜ŽΒ Β πŸŒΒ Β πŸ”ŽΒ Β πŸ“·Β 

Where are you staying?

Sydney has a fantastic public transport system,so make the best of it.

Β You have three and a bit days .Catch a train to Katoomba and maybe stay a night (your hotel will keep your bags overnight)if not just half day.on the way back get off atΒ parramatta and catch the rivercat along parramatta river back to Sydney .Its a little bit of a walk from the train to the ferry ( 15-20 minutes)or there’s a bus.

Β Manly ferry to manly beach for lunch and maybe a swim .

Dont bother with a harbour cruise,they are pretty overrated.Just catch a few ferries for a few bucks.

PS .Sydney is expensive.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv2cruisewl said:

Thank you 😊 We have reservations at Park Royal Darling Harbor.

Darling harbour is great for a few nights,China town just around the corner,fish market,maritime museum.Sydney ferries.

Theres a few theatres if you want a show.a good central place to stay.

And your ship?Theres 2 cruise ports ,circular quay and white bay?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do go to Manly, there is a 135 bus from Manly wharf which takes you to the scenic lookout on North Head.

Β 

Also on North Head is the old Quarantine Station, which is worth a look.

Β 

Ferry to Watson's Bay from where there is a walking track along the coastal cliffs past The Gap to the Macquarie lighthouse.

Β 

If you don't want to do a Bridge climb, there is lookout at the top the south east pylon that is much easier (and cheaper) to get to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the lookout and the views were super! (I am 72 with a bad knee and still managed it.Β Β πŸ™‚Β )Β Β 

Β 

Get an Opal card and make use of public transportation. Ride the ferries, subway, and buses.Β  We rode out to Bondi Beach and took the ParramattaΒ Ferry to the end. Also went to Manly Beach and Watson Bay.Β 

Β 

We stayed in Pott's Point and used the subway and buses to get around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for the Opal Card.

It is perhaps one of the best transportation deals anywhere in the world.

You can use the Opal Card for the bus, trains, and ferries.Β  The maximum amount that will be debited from your card is $15AUS...and you can use it all day long...as many times as you like.Β  We initially loaded our cards with $20AUS (just to make sure there's still $5 left in the card) and re-load it again at the end of the day or the next day.

Β 

When we got our Opal Cards, we had no idea how to even use it.Β  Fortunately, the truly wonderful lady that sold us the cards (at Circular Quay) came out and showed us that all we have to do is walk to the turnstile then "Tap In".Β  On the way out, you "Tap Out"....this was for the ferry.Β  The same applies when you get on the bus or the train/subway...tap on, tap out.

Β 

Food:Β  We discovered that there are literally hundreds of food stalls/food courts inside the subway/train stations.Β  You won't go hungry.

Β 

Safe travels in Sydney and Happy Sailing! :classic_smile:

(CSUS grad)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you make it to Watsons Bay, you might want to go see the red and white striped lighthouseΒ north of there at the northern point of that peninsula above Watsons Bay.Β  It's called Hornby lighthouse.Β  I think you'll have to walk at least 20 minutes, though, from the Watsons Bay ferry.Β  Macquarie lighthouse isn't far, either - and a bus runs by it. (And locals or past cruisers, can anyone tell me if by very slim chance that lighthouse (Hornby) can be viewed from any passing ferry (Manly?) or cruise ship?Β  And whether a car/taxi can drive at least partly through the military facility near Hornby lighthouse, the Lady/Bay beach, etc., right?Β  I think it's possible to walk up to the lighthouse, but I may need to take a cab or Uber part way if possible.)Β Β Β Β 

Β 

I'm interested in Luna Park, on the other side of the bridge from Sydney.Β  The Captain Cook ferry goes over there or there's a train station not far away.Β  Admission is free, so you can just go and walk around without riding.Β  Their customer relations person told me that they sell day passes, but also sell a 2-ride pass if you just want to a little bit of riding!Β  If nothing else, I'd love to see the giant smiling clown face at the entrance.....although it might be even better at night!Β 

syd luna park.JPG

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

If you do go to Manly, there is a 135 bus from Manly wharf which takes you to the scenic lookout on North Head.

Β 

Also on North Head is the old Quarantine Station, which is worth a look.

Β 

Ferry to Watson's Bay from where there is a walking track along the coastal cliffs past The Gap to the Macquarie lighthouse.

Β 

If you don't want to do a Bridge climb, there is lookout at the top the south east pylon that is much easier (and cheaper) to get to.

Β 

I visited the Quarantine Museum on the recommendation of locals....spectacular vistas and an incredible day of history. Definitely recommend!