Checking Liquor at Embarkation

marieps

A strange request:  I'd like them to confiscate a bottle of liquor upon embarking in San Fran and return it to me in Papeete so I can take it on my own to Bora Bora.   Anyone know if this is allowed?  We will arrive in Papeete on a Sunday and stores are closed.  There is also very little time for our flt to BB.

I am not sure I understand the question.   Why don’t you just carry it on, and carry it off with you?   Oceania does not “confiscate” liquor.   You may bring it on with you, store it in your cabin and carry it off.   Why do you want O to take it from you?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marieps said:

A strange request:  I'd like them to confiscate a bottle of liquor upon embarking in San Fran and return it to me in Papeete so I can take it on my own to Bora Bora.   Anyone know if this is allowed?  We will arrive in Papeete on a Sunday and stores are closed.  There is also very little time for our flt to BB.

Huh? 

Oceania doesn't "confiscate" personal booze. Take it on and take it off.

If your concern is wanting to bring on more than the published bottle limit, know that the limit has always been O's CYA statement and, in our personal experience, it has never been enforced. We often bring on 6-12 bottles and replenish the stock at varying ports.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

if you want to take on Spirits you can  if you want to save it for the  trip home  just pack it away in your suitcase

DH  bought  some Cognac  to take home  & 1 to drink in the cabin

not a problem

9 minutes ago, marieps said:

Thanks all.  This would not be possible on Celebrity.  Appreciate the input.

You’ll find a lot of things different than Celebrity, most positive, some not so much depending on your preferences. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, ORV said:

You’ll find a lot of things different than Celebrity, most positive, some not so much depending on your preferences. 

Thanks ORV.  We've found your posts very enlightening in the past.  If you care to expound on the pros/cons, I'm happy to receive your input.  Ship size and food will be pluses I'm sure.

Oceania takes a blind eye to hard liquor brought on board - i would imagine within reason. 

About the only place not to bring your own is at dinner.  We bring a few bottles (scotch, vodka) and have a few on the balcony.  We would also put the vodka in a small water bottle and decant poolside into smoothies

we have sailed both O and Celebrity and enjoy both for what they are

C - I would sail on Aquaclass.  Blu restaurant is very good and gets you out of the MDR scrum.  There are a ton of people on board and finding a lounger is tough.  Overall the ships are more noisy and energetic

O - exceptional food in every restaurant - even the buffet.  We are foodies and did not have a bad meal anywhere.  Energy level is more sedate.  Rooms are attractive but almost dated - they are refitting those.  Wouldn't stop me from sailing the older ones though.  

35 minutes ago, tfred said:

Oceania takes a blind eye to hard liquor brought on board - i would imagine within reason. 

About the only place not to bring your own is at dinner.  We bring a few bottles (scotch, vodka) and have a few on the balcony.  We would also put the vodka in a small water bottle and decant poolside into smoothies

One also shouldn't be carrying one's own wine or liquor in a glass around the public areas.

If too many people start doing that, it might cause Oceania to give a second thought to their generous "carry on for use in your own cabin/suite" policy.

GC

• Like 4

Just now, tfred said:

We would also put the vodka in a small water bottle and decant poolside into smoothies

a good  way  to lose the privilege  of being allowed to bring spirits  onboard

The actions of a  few  will ruin the generous policy  for all :classic_ohmy:

JMO

• Like 5

i don't think that they really are that upset at it.  If that was policy then they wouldn't allow any hard liquor on board. 

No one is walking around with a bottle of vodka at the pool and given the crowd on board, i wouldnt expect it

My friends have been on QM2 and it is basically the same there - just keep it discreet

Just now, tfred said:

i don't think that they really are that upset at it.  If that was policy then they wouldn't allow any hard liquor on board. 

They allow  spirits onboard  for consumption in your cabin

Outside of wine consumed, with corkage fee, consumption of personal alcohol outside one’s cabin is prohibited! Coming on a public forum, one that Oceania monitors, and essentially bragging about abusing the privileges and policies is rather crass, IMO!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tfred said:

About the only place not to bring your own is at dinner.  ...  We would also put the vodka in a small water bottle and decant poolside into smoothies

How is bringing your hard liquor to poolside different from bringing it to dinner?

Is “little cheating” like being a “little pregnant”?

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

One also shouldn't be carrying one's own wine or liquor in a glass around the public areas.

If too many people start doing that, it might cause Oceania to give a second thought to their generous "carry on for use in your own cabin/suite" policy.

GC

Yes - IMO, really "low rent" to sneak booze for smoothies. The O rules are so lenient - why violate them?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

This is starting to read like the Celebrity "what can I get away with" posts that started 2-3 years ago.

Yes, very unfortunately, it is.

Usually the "level" of discourse here on this Oceania sub-forum matches the atmosphere on board for Oceania, and thank goodness for both, but especially the very pleasant "on board" part!

GC

On March 1, 2019 at 12:27 PM, tfred said:

Not cool...let's just spoil it all for the rest of us who do abide by the generous policy O gives us. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 11:22 AM, marieps said:

Thanks ORV.  We've found your posts very enlightening in the past.  If you care to expound on the pros/cons, I'm happy to receive your input.  Ship size and food will be pluses I'm sure.

In the confusion I missed answering this. For us it comes down to Celebrity has more activities, livelier night life, better entertainment & better Specialty drinks. 

Pretty much everything else I prefer Oceania on. Which one we go on depends on the people we're going with and what the occasion is. 

I believe we will upgrade to the premium package, as we already have the house select.    You folks have made it clear liquor brought on board is for in-room consumption only.  Thanks much for enlightening me.