Keeping in touch with family while in Europe

Redsky5292

My husband and I are leaving our Twins home with family when we take our Baltic Cruise this summer.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with texting while in Europe with people back in the States?  I don't plan on being on my phone 24-7 while away but want the piece of mind that my family can get in touch with us, and us with them, if need be.  Has anyone used the Whatsapp or the AT&T cruise/international package?  We will have have the smaller internet packet, the social one I believe, on my husbands phone.

Thanks!

I think Verizon has a travel plan where you pay a fee about $5 or $10 depending on the country for a 24 hour period when you use your phone. It will be based on the same talk and text plan that you currently have.  I haven’t used it but I was reading about it a few days ago.  Maybe AT&T has something similar.  

An option might be to purchase a SIM card for data roaming - can be used all over Europe when ashore and great for WhatsApp- you - might also buy a Cruise ship WiFi plan.

in many locations you’ll also find WiFi available - cafes and cruise pier.

I have used the ATT International $10 per 24 hours plan for a couple of years (not the cruise plan). Works very well. Has been discussed around the Ports boards for quite awhile. Is very similar to the Verizon plan. Note the 24 hour period starts when your phone makes cell contact, so you could call twice, say late one day, and mid day the next day...using just one 24 hour period.  For example, if you turn on your phone at 5pm today, and make a call, you could make another call home at 3pm tomorrow, it would still be in the one 24 hour period.

Works in a huge number of countries. You need to sign up for it before you depart. It costs nothing to have on your account, until you use it. 

I have used all of the above on various trips: relying on just WhatsApp/Facebook Messenger and WiFi (which worked just fine, even without an Internet plan on the ship: we had no problem finding WiFi in Northern Europe), buying a SIM card for an unlocked phone (a bit of a hassle; most useful for longer trips, especially if you know you're going to be making a lot of calls or using data regularly), and using the $10/24 hours roaming on my plan as a back-up (I was only charged when I used it).

If you're going to have the Internet package on ship, I'd recommend just using WhatsApp (just let those back home know, before you leave, that's how they should contact you), and have the $10/24 hours plan on your phone as a back-up.

We have ATT and have used both the daily international plan ($10 a day only when you use it) and the $60  international flat rate for 30 days.  We used the $60 flat rate last summer on our Baltic cruise as Russia is not covered in the $10 a day.  It worked great as you are using  your regular plan once you turn it on.  We will be on an 18 day cruise this summer and will use the $60 plan as it will be the most cost effective.  We generally turn it on for my phone and my husband has the $10 daily plan-just in case he  needs to check his phone.  Enjoy your cruise!  It is fabulous!

With AT&T (and I think Verizon as well), if you have a phone on which you can enable Wi-Fi calling, you can make calls and text over Wi-Fi when connected to the internet; no charge for domestic calls, texts are handled according to your plan.  So if you have an internet plan on the ship, this is another way to go.   It worked well for me on our last cruise, and I used it instead of the AT&T cruise package.  (No big deal to set up on your phone, just do it before you leave the U.S.)

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

I do know if you can change carriers, but T-Mobile works extremely well for international travel.  You need a GSM compatible phone.    There are no additional surcharges,  data (at a reduced speed) and more importantly calls are .20 a minute.  US callers call your local number and it connects you in Europe.