Will they roll me up the gangway if I ask?

jayscore

My have has bad knees so this is what I do. Under guest details for your booking. I clicked wheelchair and wheelchair assistance. The special needs department emailed me a form to fill out the faxed back. Once at the port. They led us thru check in and then assign a person to my wife to wheel her on board. And they also wheel her back to our vehicle after the cruise.

• Like 1

I cruised with my 83 yo Dad last summer on the Carnival Legend. He insisted on walking onto the ship. I don’t think he realized just how far the walk would be. We were the last of the priority guests (FTTF) to board - haha. I kept looking behind us to see if there was a large group as they would have overtaken us in about 30 seconds.

Anyway, he rented a wheelchair in advance and it was waiting in our cabin. We used it in most of the ports. In one port it was a pretty good grade to wheel him to the ship. A fellow cruiser came up and asked if I needed assistance. I was so grateful. Dad is about 230lbs!

In Skagway I had to run ahead to the ship and request a wheelchair. The staff was great. They went right to where he was waiting and wheeled him all the way to our cabin (aft wrap). He was tipped very well. Wait, as I remember it now, he wheeled Dad a couple times. Haha

I guess what I am saying is that all you need to do is ask and be sure to tip accordingly.

Good luck and have a safe cruise.

You do not need to pre-book wheelchair assistance before you get to the terminal. I need wheelchair assistance on embarkation and de-embarkation days and when we arrive at the terminal, I just ask for it and receive it. Have never been asked if I pre-booked it. On de-embarkation morning, there will be a special needs area to meet for wheelchair assistance off the ship and I am wheeled right out to our car in valet parking. The person stays until our car is brought around. Easily accomplished on both days. Remember to tip the person who pushes the wheelchair.

9 hours ago, jayscore said:

Nola....thanks for the reply!

It sounds like you just need some assistance getting up onto the ship. Ask the very first port employee you see wearing a carnival badge for wheelchair assistance. They will either bring one to you or direct you to the wheelchair station. They will roll you up onto the ship. They will drop you off in the elevator lobby or in the atrium, that's as far as they're supposed to take you. Have a great trip.

The first time we boarded Pride DW was using a cane for her knee. Someone noticed the cane and directed us out of the regular line and into the special assistance line (well, there wasn't an actual line). They offered wheel chair assist and talked DW into it. Given the layout of the ramp it was a good choice. The only drawback was the crew member pushing the chair bypassed the boarding photo area, but we were able to have the photo staff take one of our informal shots and put it on the boarding photo background. 

Here's what I just did for the "wheel chair assist" situation;

I called CCL, explained my situation, and gave them, (Her, actually), my cruise info, and she said they will be expecting me  when I check in at NOLA port,  with my "wheels"ready.. Simple as that!

Thanks again for all the advice and comments on this subject! 😉

(😋P.S. Now I wonder if I should buy a squeeky kid's bike horn for the chair.........:classic_biggrin:)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jayscore said:

Here's what I just did for the "wheel chair assist" situation;

I called CCL, explained my situation, and gave them, (Her, actually), my cruise info, and she said they will be expecting me  when I check in at NOLA port,  with my "wheels"ready.. Simple as that!

Thanks again for all the advice and comments on this subject! 😉

(😋P.S. Now I wonder if I should buy a squeeky kid's bike horn for the chair.........:classic_biggrin:)

Just so that I know that you are aware ... they will take you up the gangway to the atrium and leave you off there, so that they can go pick up someone else.  If you think that you will need a wheelchair for the entire cruise (or a scooter), you should arrange to rent one.  They will have it ready in your stateroom for you when you get there.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Just so that I know that you are aware ... they will take you up the gangway to the atrium and leave you off there, so that they can go pick up someone else.  If you think that you will need a wheelchair for the entire cruise (or a scooter), you should arrange to rent one.  They will have it ready in your stateroom for you when you get there.

Thanks for the word, but, all I want is "a ride" up the gangway, and will be fine after that. Thanks again!

On our last CCl cruise my husband wheeled another passenger up the gangway whose wife was really struggling with the chair as we were boarding.  There are a lot of passengers who are happy to help too.  It was NOLA. 

Edited by Cafedumonde

45 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

On our last CCl cruise my husband wheeled another passenger up the gangway whose wife was really struggling with the chair as we were boarding.  There are a lot of passengers who are happy to help too.  It was NOLA. 

45 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

That suprises me a little here in Sydney they insist on pushing (or in a power chair accompanying,) you up

22 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Yes, you can certainly request a wheelchair ... but it may/may not arrive quickly.  :classic_unsure:

Why not buy a lightweight folding transport chair so you always have easy access to a chair?  My husband has used one for years and it is a lifesaver.

• Like 1