Specialty dining and gratuities

mochasmommie

Newbie to the Princess way to cruising - well, it's been so long, so might as well be new! So I'm reading that you cannot reserve specialty dining before getting on the ship? What is the best way to do this? And I suppose there isn't an issue with the specialty dining restaurants being too full and unavailable?

Also, can you prepay your gratuities for Princess? I haven't sailed in a very long time and it used to be taken by cash (haha, tells you how long it's been for me!), but now it seems all gratuities are mandatory? 

Appreciate any help with this. Thank you!!

Edited by mochasmommie
content
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mochasmommie said:

Newbie to the Princess way to cruising - well, it's been so long, so might as well be new! So I'm reading that you cannot reserve specialty dining before getting on the ship? What is the best way to do this? You can use the online Personalizer to make a specialty dining reservation. If you do that, you have to pay for it NOW.

And I suppose there isn't an issue with the specialty dining restaurants being too full and unavailable? Rarely full. We've often walked up and gotten a table, but there's no guarantee.

Also, can you prepay your gratuities for Princess? Yes, you can.

I haven't sailed in a very long time and it used to be taken by cash (haha, tells you how long it's been for me!), but now it seems all gratuities are mandatory? Grats are not mandatory. You can increase, decrease or eliminate at the passenger services desk. PLEASE don't eliminate. The grats pay a lot of people that make your cruise better and you never see them.

See above.

Have you checked your Personalizer online? There you can reserve specialty dining and prepay your grats.

Fyi, we were just on the Royal Princess and waited quite a long time to get into the Crown Grill (we had reservations at 8 p.m.)--it was not only completely full, but had a line. It was worth it, though, the food and service were terrific. - Musing About Cruising

27 minutes ago, mochasmommie said:

Newbie to the Princess way to cruising - well, it's been so long, so might as well be new! So I'm reading that you cannot reserve specialty dining before getting on the ship? What is the best way to do this? And I suppose there isn't an issue with the specialty dining restaurants being too full and unavailable?

Also, can you prepay your gratuities for Princess? I haven't sailed in a very long time and it used to be taken by cash (haha, tells you how long it's been for me!), but now it seems all gratuities are mandatory? 

After boarding go to the restaurant to make your reservation.

Call the DINE line from your cabin phone.

You can prepay your gratuities in through your booking in the cruise personalizer.

Thank you everyone. This is the Grand Princess and I did see you can make your reservations ahead of time for Sabatinis and Crown Grill. There was only the Crab Shack that you couldn't book ahead. I thought there were more than just those 3 restaurants, so what I was reading is obviously old news. 

Will definitely prepay gratuities. Much rather do it this way than the old way from years ago (using cash and envelopes). 

Thanks so much everyone!

12 minutes ago, mochasmommie said:

Thank you everyone. This is the Grand Princess and I did see you can make your reservations ahead of time for Sabatinis and Crown Grill. There was only the Crab Shack that you couldn't book ahead. I thought there were more than just those 3 restaurants, so what I was reading is obviously old news. 

Will definitely prepay gratuities. Much rather do it this way than the old way from years ago (using cash and envelopes). 

Thanks so much everyone!

The Crab Shack is usually only available once or twice during a weeklong cruise & it’s not a restaurant but a sectioned off portion of the buffet.

Here’s a link to information about the Grand including all of the included dining & would recommend Alfredo’s Pizzeria.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ap-grand-princess/

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you have Specialty Dining as a comp you are assigned a time when you board the ship, correct?  How easy is it to get that changed.  We have two couples sailing together.  What can we do to help ensure we get the same restaurant and time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The Crab Shack is usually only available once or twice during a weeklong cruise & it’s not a restaurant but a sectioned off portion of the buffet.

Here’s a link to information about the Grand including all of the included dining & would recommend Alfredo’s Pizzeria.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ap-grand-princess/

As AF explained the Crab Shack is a "pop up" restaurant housed in the aft section of the buffet.  On the days that it is open, you will see advertising in the buffet and in the Princess Patters.  Reservations are easily obtained by calling the DINE line when you see the advertisements.  You may be able to walk in with out a reservation.

Also, as AF says, Alfredo's on the Grand Princess is a little gem.  It is a no charge venue.  The only menu items are pizzas.  However, Alfredo's is just across the Piazza (30 feet?) from the International Cafe.  We have ordered pizzas at Alfredo's and, while waiting for them, I have walked over to the International Cafe and grabbed a couple salads for us.  Alfredo's does also have a modest wine list.  OK, they do charge for the wine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBAlbany said:

If you have Specialty Dining as a comp you are assigned a time when you board the ship, correct?  How easy is it to get that changed.

I did not find it difficult to do at all.  When I embarked, there was a card in my stateroom stating the date/time for my Crown Grill reservation.  Neither suited my plans.  Changing that reservation was one of the things I did before we sailed.  Waiting a day or so to do so might be an issue if your specialty restaurant starts to get many reservations for whenever you want to go.

2 hours ago, RBAlbany said:

If you have Specialty Dining as a comp you are assigned a time when you board the ship, correct?  How easy is it to get that changed.  We have two couples sailing together.  What can we do to help ensure we get the same restaurant and time?

30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I did not find it difficult to do at all.  When I embarked, there was a card in my stateroom stating the date/time for my Crown Grill reservation.  Neither suited my plans.  Changing that reservation was one of the things I did before we sailed.  Waiting a day or so to do so might be an issue if your specialty restaurant starts to get many reservations for whenever you want to go.

You should have no problem changing the time or restaurant if you call the first day.

If the two couples want to eat together, one person should call to change the reservation for both couples. You will just need to know the other couple's names and cabin number.

On the Grand, I wouldn't wait too long to make my reservation.  Just make it on the DINE LINE or in person shortly after you board.  Just my opinion, but the Crown Grill is far superior to Sabatinis....and I don't even eat red meat.  We've not done the Crab Shack but the atmosphere is much the same as the buffet ... it is actually a section of the buffet.  I don't think there is a huge issue in getting a reservation there.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mochasmommie said:

And I suppose there isn't an issue with the specialty dining restaurants being too full and unavailable?

Normally there is no problem with availability, but there are exceptions:

a) Some cruises have a number of bookings that included a free specialty dining meal as a booking perk. If that is the case, there may be a high demand for the specialty restaurants. (Note: the free specialty restaurant meals cannot be booked pre-cruise as any pre-cruise bookings must be paid for at the time of booking.)

b) Sometimes there will be a big demand for specialty restaurants on formal evenings as a number of people prefer not to have to dress up for the main dining room and the dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual every evening.

8 minutes ago, stvandy1 said:

Yes. I made and prepaid the reservation. I’ve already been billed and charged for it.

Thanks.

Just want to make it clear to those that have the "free" specialty dining be it through the suite perk or from a TA that these cannot be pre-booked pre cruise. Must wait until they are onboard.

Also booking/paying for the specialty restaurant pre cruise only has set limited times available for booking in the personalizer.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, Cruise Raider said:

.  We've not done the Crab Shack but the atmosphere is much the same as the buffet ... it is actually a section of the buffet.  I don't think there is a huge issue in getting a reservation there.  

Although it is served in the buffet, it is table service. On our January Regal cruise we called the dine line early, or so we thought and were only offered  8pm and later. Reserve early!!!!

Edited by Doug R.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks.

Just want to make it clear to those that have the "free" specialty dining be it through the suite perk or from a TA that these cannot be pre-booked pre cruise. Must wait until they are onboard.

Also booking/paying for the specialty restaurant pre cruise only has set limited times available for booking in the personalizer.

Correct. 5:30 works perfect for me. Since others who booked through their TA May have to wait aboard ship,they may have to wait for those of us who booked and paid through the cruise personalizes.