First timer on Princess

soaddictive

Hey All!!

i am considering a group trip on the Princess Sky. We are all in our mid 30s. I have previously sailed with Norwegian a few times and with Royal Caribbean.

I am trying to find ship specific info such as the entertainment on board but am getting generic answers like ‘Broadway style shows’. Does anyone know what type of shows Princess puts on? Is it a headliner like Rock of Ages or Kinky Boots or is it a custom show to the ship similar to Havana on ncl bliss?

Are there younger people on the ship or does it tailor to people in their 50s and beyond?

None of us are looking to go ‘clubbing’ and getting drunk but good music, shows and fun activities are something we want. And craft beer! 

Shows are usually very good. They are NOT like the ones you mentioned above.

Google "Magic to Do", "Born to Dance" or Princess Cruises shows

The shorter the cruise, the younger the demographic, the longer the cruise, the old folks come out.

Children are common on most cruises. There's a disco type lounge that stays open very late.

"Fun activities" - bingo, trivia, egg drop (none of those are my thing, but lots seen to enjoy).

Dancing - yes. Music - all over the ship.

Guest entertainers - at least 2 or 3 on even a short cruise. Singers, musicians, comedians.

Lecturers - generally geared toward the itinerary.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

Mid 30s cruiser here, been cruising since my 20s on Princess. Alaskan Cruise was the only Cruise where my group felt out of place as the “youngsters” on board. The cruise experience you are describing is what my friends and I like - think you’ll be just fine.  (Not sure about much craft beer though - unless it’s a special event).  Since Princess caters to a broad demographic, I always find there is something for everyone entertainment wise. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soaddictive said:

None of us are looking to go ‘clubbing’ and getting drunk but good music, shows and fun activities are something we want. And craft beer! 

You will find that Princess has an incredibly pathetic beer selection. They claim to be adding some better beer but I'm not counting on much of an improvement. If you are cruising and expect to find a selection of craft beer you will be horribly disappointed with Princess. We usually end up drinking Bass Ale which is definitely not a craft beer. We visit the local brewpubs in port for better beer.

My husband and I started cruising on Princess in our mid-20’s. We’re now in our late 30’s. While the demographics do skew older, we’ve never had trouble meeting other people on board around our age. And we get along great with people much older than us as well, so we’ve never felt uncomfortable.

We are not partiers, so Princess has always fit our style well. We’d prefer a spa day over bar hopping. Or an educational lecture over a wet t-shirt contest. We’re by no means boring — we love lots of active adventure like hiking, zip lining, etc. But we enjoy that stuff in the ports. We like that Princess offers a feel of refined relaxation on the ship. They also offer stuff like dancing lessons, trivia, karaoke, comedians, game shows, etc. which we enjoy watching/participating in. We’ve never been bored on one of their ships.

We have really enjoyed the shows on Princess. They are unique to Princess, but we’ve felt the quality was very worthy of our time. 

• Like 2

Princess does offer shows in their theater.  Last month on Caribbean Princess; they had two very good shows.  One was called "Born to  be wild"; which had music from the 60's and 70's.  It was entertaining.  Princess does not have "name brand shows"; like Royal Caribbean's "Chicago, or Rock of ages".