They are REALLY pushing Kids Sail Free. Too Bad.

MDTrip

"Kids cruise free" is just a current marketing promotion like any other promotion in the present or in the past and is not really a change in the foundation of what we have come to enjoy on Celebrity ships as some here are worrying about.  I would begin to think differently if Celebrity started building their new ships or retrofitting older ships with enormous water slides, bumper cars, etc.  So far this is not the case at all.  There have always been kids on all of the Celebrity cruises I have enjoyed and all pretty well behaved,  but far fewer than my comparison to RCCL ships that I have sailed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I think I’ll take a photo of 8 old people in a hot tub on my next cruise and post it here with some derogatory comments like “clearly we didn’t use it all cruise” - see what happens.

There is an enormous difference between sitting in a hot tub full of children and one full of adults/seniors. I spent a week at a rental home with pool and hot tub earlier this year with my whole family, including children ages 3, 5 and 7, my siblings and spouses (early 40s) and my parents (late 70s). Sitting in the hot tub with the three kids was an ENTIRELY different experience than sitting in it with the adults, as I'm sure anyone can imagine. I had a great time with my nieces and nephew on that trip, but when I cruise I do so to spend time relaxing with my husband, in the company of as few children as possible. I plan my cruises accordingly and thus far have been happy with the mix of passengers I have found on Celebrity. If that mix changes significantly due to their marketing strategies, I will look elsewhere for a cruise line that suits my needs. I don't see how that is intolerant in any way.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I agree with you that the "kids cruise free" is a current marketing promotion but if it results in increased sales and profit then it will be expanded.

This is todays current e mail announcing " KIDS SALE FREE " ad...

Not sure how a family would fit into EDGE Inf Veranda cabins which feature the King beds and a setee style lounger..no arms, no pull out bed....but EDGE is on the list.

Maybe they are doing this to boost bookings for the next period...but it is usually what one would expect on Royal C not X...

"Cruise must be booked Mar. 7 through Apr. 3, 2019 (the “Offer Period”). Offer applies to select 4-night and longer cruises departing 04/01/19 – 12/31/19. Offer excludes Galapagos, Suez Canal, transatlantic and transpacific cruises. Eligible sailings listed at here. Lowest Available Cruise Fare offer applicable to select sailings 04/01/19 – 12/31/19. Offer does not include perks. Full deposit must be paid by deposit payment required due date. Standard full deposit penalty is applied if booking is cancelled within final payment period; see Celebrity’s cancellation policy for details. Free Kids offer applies to the cruise fare of third and fourth passengers up to 17 years of age, booked in an inside stateroom or higher, on 04/01/19 – 12/31/19 sailings. 50% Off Savings offer applies to the cruise fare of third and fourth passengers, 18 years of age or older, booked in an ocean view stateroom or higher on 04/01/19 – 12/31/19 sailings and to all third and fourth passengers on 01/01/20 – 04/30/21 sailings. Offer based on guest age at the time of final payment. Not applicable to Cruisetours. Offer applies to new individual bookings and to staterooms in non-contracted group bookings, which must be named and deposited during the Offer Period. Offer is capacity controlled, availability varies by sailing, and eligible staterooms may sell out. All offers are non-transferable and applicable only to the Offer Cruise. Offer is not combinable with Book & Go Packages, Exciting Deals, Interline, Senior, Loyalty, Resident, Net, Travel Partner, and Employee Rates. No refunds or credits will be granted for unused options. Offer and prices are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and not applicable to charters or contracted groups. Single occupancy bookings are eligible for the Offer. Changes to booking may result in removal of Offer. Refer to celebritycruises.com and the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Celebrity reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time, correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions, and change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice."

50 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Thats next months promo ...lol 🙂

image.png

I love this !  Too perfect!

For EDGE, they initially pushed the Eden Sinful approach..now its  kids!

How about bigger loyalty discounts to their existing fan base?

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

It's probably because of the balance between double occupancy passenger and max occupancy passgenger count.

When they have too many 3-4 occupancy booked, then the prices go up on 3 and 4, like disney and rcc, kids are like whole adult prices.

when there are too few and too many double occupancy booked, that is revenue lost.  so then they have sales like this. maybe convince people who have kids to try the cruise line.  maybe convince families to squeeze into one room so they can sell the other.

We used to think Celebrity was more focused on cruising with few children especially on 10 plus day cruises. We don’t have children but enjoy seeing the well behaved older children at dinner and around the ship. 

But after seeing a baby crawling on the Martini Bar floor of the Equinox 10 day during prime 6pm pre dinner while doting parents filmed it last year and other strollers in Celebrity bars with fussy crying babies ( hey.. it’s what they all do). The previous year on Equinox 10 day we had a one year old baby crawl under our balcony divider to ours. 🙀🙀🙀

we’ve taken the cue and advice here and booked other lines. May still have babies and toddlers but why stick with Celebrity if they have them too. 

We are Elite now but don’t have loyalty to Celebrity anymore.  Our choice where to spend so we are going to spread our vacay dollars around. Decided to try Regent Seven Seas new Splendor next year.  Viking Ocean also of interest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

This would make me ask to be moved to another table, if at all possible. It really is a shame when selfish parents bring children to a mealtime experience that they can't possibly enjoy at their age. The parents may be used to dealing with their own children and more easily can "tune out" children's noises. Those of us with grown children (my youngest is 28 now!) often find the noise of misbehaving bored little ones much more disturbing.

In 3 Celebrity cruises, we have only eaten in a specialty restaurant once - that time it was ruined by unruly, drunken suite guests (adults). If our little one was even the least bit noisy we would take him outside; we are very well aware that not everyone wants to endure noisy children!

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2019 at 4:19 AM, Tapi said:

I sailed on that cruise with my 7 and 9 year old children, so needless to say, I don’t have an issue with children. 

What I do have an issue with is with the lack of consideration for other fellow passengers, regardless of age. In theory, hot tubs are created for people to sit in for a limited amount of time and move on (many post a time and age limit due to health risks). They are not for people to turn into their (or their kids) personal playground, or their private swim-up bar for hours and hours without consideration for others.

If no one isn’t waiting to use it, stay as long as you want. If your kids want to use it, supervise it. But if you see others waiting to use it, show some consideration. If you’re the parent, either be with your children or in close proximity. It’s really not a lot to ask. 

You’re most likely right and the ship didn't have enough hot tubs. There were two on this pool deck on a ship with a capacity of over 2,000 passengers. But that, in my humble opinion, is an even bigger reason to become even more considerate of other fellow passengers, limit your time, and allow others to enjoy the facilities. This goes for both adults and children. 

But I also understand that we live in a society where people feel very entitled. “I paid to come on this cruise, so I’m entitled to take over this hot tub”. I’m really not that surprised.

Cruise ships are crowded with passengers and there are a limited number of hot tubs.   They will frequently be occupied when someone else would like to use them.  How long before you are supposed to vacate your place for someone who wants to use the hot tub?  

The timer runs the hot tub cycle for a set time..

At our place in Fla they rec max 20 min per soak for health reasons as it can raise blood pressure,   The one we used to have at home  cautioned not to stay in for prolonged periods,,

Some folks stay in a long time and  drink alcohol while sitting in there....kids also stay in a long time...using it as a kiddie pool.  If others want a turn they should be given a chance..just like  use  of gym apparatus.

Truthfully, we use the pools and tubs early in the a.m....when everything is  "fresh"

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

How long before you are supposed to vacate your place for someone who wants to use the hot tub?  

We could use established guidelines which is 15-30 minutes. That in my opinion is fair.

Its just common sense. Think of places where there’s a limited number of equipment for the number of guests, like fitness centers or business centers. Many places post a maximum time as a “courtesy to other guests”. Hot tubs are the same. 

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

We could use established guidelines which is 15-30 minutes. That in my opinion is fair.

Its just common sense. Think of places where there’s a limited number of equipment for the number of guests, like fitness centers or business centers. Many places post a maximum time as a “courtesy to other guests”. Hot tubs are the same. 

Oh boy,  pretty soon there will be too many rules for folks to keep up.  I say let em bake.       

5 hours ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

You can have my space in any hot tub. Bathing with other people other then my spouse makes my tummy upset.  UGGG.  (Some very entertaining sights there though, I like to imagine what they all looked like 50 years ago.)

It’s funny because really before KIDS FREE hardly anybody cruised WITH their kids on Celebrity! We cannot wait to go back and thank you for sharing that story - so fun to send them into the hot tub with you!!

59 minutes ago, Magik Bee said:

It’s funny because really before KIDS FREE hardly anybody cruised WITH their kids on Celebrity! We cannot wait to go back and thank you for sharing that story - so fun to send them into the hot tub with you!!

Really???

On 3/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

I'll keep my opinions to myself but I will add fuel to the fire by saying that this past week, Celebrity's Instagram very prominently featured a family with small kids and the hashtag #familytravel. 

Yes, I was surprised at this!  Celebrity’s recent Instagram feed seemed to have only advertising which follows a family with young children on their voyage on the Edge.  I thought it was very misleading.  Our cruise on Edge I saw maybe 6 kids, all under kindergarten age (why we like February).  I don’t know what March has been like.

Yes, I’ve only been on two cruises in my life, both Celebrity.  I chose X for the non smoking ship.  After the Reflection 2 years ago I really wanted to cruise more.  The ship was peaceful, had no riff raff.  I’ve visited the Celebrity website regularly since then, and this is the first time I’ve seen Kids Sail Free, or even 50% 3rd and 4th.  I think it is due to large #s of Edge cancellations.

This time we cruised on the Edge, on the first sea day there were three young children in the Solarium pool.  With their two parents and one Grandma.  When another passenger kindly told them the no kids policy they did not leave.  Celebrity’s staff had to fix the issue.  The family showed up in Solarium again on next sea day, day 6, and left more quickly that time.  

———————————

While our first cruise was booked (pre-2017), a promotion came up for 50% off the second guest.  They honored that price for us.  Are those the good old days?  😥

For kids, the best feature of Edge I believe is the Infinite Veranda.  The window is so high that there won’t be any accidents of kids going overboard.  Besides the kids club, IMO there is really not that much else for them to do.

Edited by 2tixParadise

It’s simple

They’re offering “kids sail free” because they’re not selling enough cabins to couples on those ships and sailing to meet their projections. 

If enough adults were willing to pay high prices and sell out the cabins, they wouldn’t have to offer freebies to children. 

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

Really???

Absolutely! We didn't bring kids but it is great knowing it is an option!

What cruise line do you like, MizDemeanor?? We've only ever sailed on Edge!  None of the pools on the other ships are big and they are all weirdly shaped so i really don’t think kids could swim laps.

I don’t appreciate too many kids onboard, especially at the lounges at night. Thank 

Goodness for the nice, loud music to drown out the screaming babies, who don’t belong at a martini bar and should 

be in bed. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

Seems like Celebrity cannot sell the Edge to the once very loyal Celebrity cruisers so they are going to try and compete with Disney  !!!    The head office in Miami seems to be in PANIC MODE.

Really? About the only thing that Edge is competing with Disney is in pricing. It’s expensive, at least for a family. I keep checking prices on Edge against others and it’s considerably more expensive. We just booked Norwegian Encore, and what a Haven forward Penthouse Suite costs is about the same as a standard ocean view (no balcony) cabin on the Edge. 

Edited by Tapi