Holland is my favorite but will my son like it?

Peckishpixie

I pretty much only cruise Holland now because it is exactly my speed. I am taking my son an his new partner on a cruise this spring and I really want to choose Holland but I am second guessing myself. He is a 28 year old artist with tattoos and piercing and she has fantastic pink hair and a kooky style. I have pink hair and body piercings, but I am also 49 and don't mind when people look at me. Am I setting them up to have a bad time? Do you think people will judge them? 

I did raise a magnificent child and he has impeccable manners, fantastic style and even owns his own tux so I know he will love Holland. I am worried Holland won't love him.

6 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

At 49 you should be at a place where you don't care what others think. This is a cruise line, not middle school.

My son and his partner are in their 20's so, yes, a little more sensitive than I am. That was the point of my post. When I am on Holland people do remark about how I look and really, I am always the only one who looks like me on a Holland cruise. When people point and tsk me I just laugh, but I am worried my son will have a hard time. I think your post is a perfect demonstration of why I might think that.

• Like 3

Why don't you just ask your son? You're already aware of the likely reaction of other passengers, based on your own experience, and given your description, your son is likely to to encounter a similar reaction. As a 28 year old, he's old enough to know whether he can ignore the negativity, as you have, or would prefer to avoid it by choosing a more inclusive cruise line.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 3

It’s hard to tell how people will react.  Our very first cruise our “kids” were 23 and 21-that’s when the Crow’s Nest was a rocking dancing place to be so they enjoyed themselves.  Young officers partied and danced with guests which doesn’t happen any longer.

I’m not sure if there would be enough for them to do now though?  I wouldn’t worry about them being judged-we’ve found most people are very nice.  Have you asked if they’d prefer a different cruise line with a younger crowd?

• Like 1

Our artist  son joined us at a similar age right after he had an installation in Rotterdam,  and he loved relaxing and chatting at dinner with our much older table mates.   The crew loved his tattoos.   So depends on your son.  

Do you find  the reactions of others to your personal style to be different on a cruise ship than in everyday life on land?  I think some people can be rude, judgmental, or maybe just from some small town with rather homogeneous people so they aren't used to seeing tattoos and pink hair, but that is true anywhere not just on a cruise ship.   I think most HAL passengers have been around the block a few times, met people with many different styles and backgrounds and would be warm and welcoming to your son and his partner.   Might some offend? Only if you/they let them.  

• Like 1

Would your son and his partner be interested in the activities that Holland offers in general? To me, what would be most important is if the line is the right fit. For example, if they're very interested in nightlife and active activities like rock climbing or ice skating, Holland might not be a good choice for them. They are also likely to find more people their age and with their interests on another line, so if that's something that you think would really matter to them, it is worth looking into other cruise line options.

I can see where your concern comes from though. When you're on vacation, you don't necessarily want to be surrounded by negativity. As much as you can try to ignore nasty comments, sometimes you just don't want to be hearing it on vacation.

Does your son and friend have any particular message they want to get across to others choosing tattoos and pink hair that you state will "set them apart" from what you think is the HAL passenger base?

Is their message "look at me and I hope I shock you", or is it exactly the same as those who choose to dye their hair more conventional tones, wear loud print clothes and/or not bother with artificial body art but work on their sun tan instead.

Not sure what the point of your original question is.

15 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

I pretty much only cruise Holland now because it is exactly my speed. I am taking my son an his new partner on a cruise this spring and I really want to choose Holland but I am second guessing myself. He is a 28 year old artist with tattoos and piercing and she has fantastic pink hair and a kooky style. I have pink hair and body piercings, but I am also 49 and don't mind when people look at me. Am I setting them up to have a bad time? Do you think people will judge them? 

I did raise a magnificent child and he has impeccable manners, fantastic style and even owns his own tux so I know he will love Holland. I am worried Holland won't love him.

I think your question is perfectly reasonable. I'm 40 and enjoy HAL very much. While I wouldn't describe my style as funky I am not scared of being bold. I think your son and his partner will enjoy HAL if they focus on what's important - their experience.  HAL is not a Vegas style cruise line so if they are looking for something similar a different line may suit them better but HAL suits all ages if you want a relaxed pace, good service and quieter atmosphere.  If other passengers judge them so be it but I highly doubt anyone would make a comment to them directly or snicker - most people just get on with their own lives. If another guest displays intolerance or aggression because someone looks different than they do, they probably shouldn't travel outside their front door.  Frankly some of the most colorful outfits I've seen were actually on HAL, sparkles, bold prints and track suits in bright colours are not uncommon! (relax commentators, just teasing!)  If they don't try HAL, they won't know what their experience might have been so I say go for it - there is plenty of time for another cruise on another line.

Edited by RoyalVisit

15 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

I really want to choose Holland but I am second guessing myself. He is a 28 year old artist with tattoos and piercing and she has fantastic pink hair and a kooky style.

Like in most places, you will find a variety of reactions on a HAL cruise.  I've seen tats, I've seen piercings ... a few people were, unfortunately, incredibly RUDE, while others couldn't have cared less.  IMHO it is up to your son and partner to find/identify/hang out with the people who are accepting.  Because there will be plenty of accepting people -- we just aren't as loud, obnoxious, and obvious in our behaviours as the unaccepting ones 😉

• Like 2

I agree with some of the posters that asked whether this kind of a cruise would interest them. If it does, go and enjoy. I wouldn't worry about what others say.  Good behavior and manners are all that are asked of any of us.   The rest is noise.

• Like 1

I've been cruising HAL since I was in my mid 20's and have always found the passengers to be welcoming.  Even when I had pink streaks or full purple hair.  I also know that I do it for me and don't really care what others think - it's my hair not yours so I don't much care if you don't like it!  If your son is an artist with ink and piercings dating a "kooky" girl with pink hair I would think he's been judged before and has managed it just fine without having to give up his style (trust me, it's happened).

I would be more concerned about what his vacation "style" is.  I like HAL because I'm a lazy bones at heart.  I like to wander the ship, read a book, maybe take a nap and I'm quite happy to skip the party/dance/loud lines.  If your son is a more active, club/bar get out and dance, keep busy all the time kind of guy, then HAL might not be the right choice for him.  I'd be much more worried about that. If he and the girlfriend are happy to kick back and relax, then they should be just fine.

• Like 2

Thank you for your responses. I have talked to him and his partner. He loves good food and his idea of a perfect vacation is sitting on the verandah reading a good book with a top shelf bourbon in his hand. None of us is interested in a party boat. I dont think I am being overprotective. I am just trying not to give him a gift that ends up being a burden. I think the mixed bag of kind and judgmental responses gives him a good idea of what he can expect. I'll show him this thread and let him decide.

• Like 3