Panama Canal

camper49

40 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Yes

I just heard from a friend who is on board Zuiderdam. He expected that it was a full transit & he is now being told it is not...it is a 10 day cruise. I’m thinking the 11 day is a full transit?

9 minutes ago, camper49 said:

I just heard from a friend who is on board Zuiderdam. He expected that it was a full transit & he is now being told it is not...it is a 10 day cruise. I’m thinking the 11 day is a full transit?

After reviewing the schedule that I linked to in post #3, the shortest full transit of the Panama Canal is 14 days.  That cruise is from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego.  The other full transits end in either Vancouver or Seattle.  Full transit lengths are anywhere between 14 and 22 days long.  

We did the same cruise as your friend on the Zuiderdam in October and had a great time.  I know the HAL website leaves much to be desired but I can't understand how one would not know if they were doing a full transit of the canal or not.  The little maps and descriptions are all there.

• Like 1

The friend is on board, and didn't know it was a partial transit? Really? Somebody didn't do their research.

HAL might do more full transits that any other cruise line. Not just the respositioning Alaska/Caribbean routes, but frequent San Diego/Ft Lauderdale sailings. Just  have to look on the HAL website for schedules.

1 hour ago, camper49 said:

Right now Zuiderdam's 10 and 11 day cruises are partial Panama cruises.  In April she will leave to go to the Baltic.

The Nieuw Amsterdam just left a couple of weeks ago from Ft Lauderdale and did a full transit to San Diego.  On Sunday she starts a couple of Mexican cruises before she heads to Alaska.

The Rotterdam will be doing full transits on Nov 20, Dec 6 and Dec 21.  Amsterdam on Dec 18.  And there are others.  Some go from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego and some from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale.

Go to your nearest Travel Agency and pick up either a Cruise PLanner or a Cruise Atlas.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Right now Zuiderdam's 10 and 11 day cruises are partial Panama cruises.  In April she will leave to go to the Baltic.

The Nieuw Amsterdam just left a couple of weeks ago from Ft Lauderdale and did a full transit to San Diego.  On Sunday she starts a couple of Mexican cruises before she heads to Alaska.

The Rotterdam will be doing full transits on Nov 20, Dec 6 and Dec 21.  Amsterdam on Dec 18.  And there are others.  Some go from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego and some from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale.

Go to your nearest Travel Agency and pick up either a Cruise PLanner or a Cruise Atlas.

Hi KK!!

My WIFI right now on board The Eurodam is slow and sucks! I was able to get on hope this goes out.

Will be on The Rotterdam next March 11 out of our home town San

Diego to FLL 16 days!

Have a good day KK

Denise😊

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi KK!!

My WIFI right now on board The Eurodam is slow and sucks! I was able to get on hope this goes out.

Will be on The Rotterdam next March 11 out of our home town San

Diego to FLL 16 days!

Have a good day KK

Denise😊

Hi Denise

Sorry to hear about the Internet.

Those full transits are great -- we have done quite a few of them -- all 21 days.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

2 hours ago, camper49 said:

I agree, somebody did not read the cruise description or look at the map on the HAL site (or the big box store site)

The only difference between the Zuidy's 10-day and 11-day partial transit is that the 10-day trip does not stop in Cartagena, while the 11-day does. 

We just finished the 11-day cruise on Zuiderdam.    Had we known better, we would have taken the 10-day that skips Cartagena.

A half-day is not enough time in port there for a decent shore excursion, in our opinions.

Edited by Walfam

Since I tend to OVER plan a cruise, its hard for me to understand how you can take a cruise and not know the details of it  and the route you are taking.  All the more reason to use Cruise Critic for your cruise planning!

• Like 1

Just now, DaveOKC said:

Since I tend to OVER plan a cruise, its hard for me to understand how you can take a cruise and not know the details of it  and the route you are taking, but alot of people do not bother.  All the more reason to use Cruise Critic for your cruise planning!