How am I supposed to drink this?

They had those the first morning of our Summit cruise out of San Juan.  I used the straw to poke a hole and then squeezed the milk out of the hole onto my cereal.  It was a bit messy but I lived. :classic_smile:  After the first morning, they had regular milk cartons.

It does seem kind of funny that cruise lines are getting rid of straws in drinks but then hand out milk cartons with straws...

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 7:33 PM, robtulipe said:

Takes too long to empty doing that. It's a very small hole.

I would dispute that. My grandsons ages 3 thru 5 could empty out a juice box on the floor in a flash just trying to put the straw in. :classic_ohmy::classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I'm not sure why an adult needs to drink milk at all..unless they have a chocolate cookie!  Simply open the top and pour it in a glass!

Well... we use it for cereal in the morning, and coffee...  but, when we had these containers, we could lift the edge and tear into a spout

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

With a Swiss Army Knife put a slit on the top and pour it into your cereal or cup. No big deal? Now for the taste of the milk well that could be a different story.

Be aware  ship's security are likely to confiscated that deadly weapon.  :)

Edited by robtulipe

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

I would dispute that. My grandsons ages 3 thru 5 could empty out a juice box on the floor in a flash just trying to put the straw in. :classic_ohmy::classic_biggrin:

You only think all of the drink box content is on the floor because you are the one who has to clean it all up.

• Like 1

Milk in these cartons is very common on cruises here 'downunder' & children learn to use these 'tetra-packs' or 'poppers' shortly after they learn to walk 🙂 The hardest part is getting the straw out of the plastic.

If you want to drink the contents, insert the straw into the hole and suck. If you want to put to put contents on your cereal, use the straw and just gently squeeze the carton, with the straw aimed at the bowl.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, gatour said:

Ask a European.  These type of containers for milk are vary common there.  The milk is shelf stable without the need to be refrigerated.

Having said that, use the straw to poke the hole in the container.  Use straw to drink milk, children seems to be able to drink fruit beverages in similiar packaging using a straw without difficulty.  Alternatively, for cereal application, after using straw to penetrate the hole, remove straw.  Then use hole to dispense milk into cereal bowl.  No different that pour chicken stock from similiar containers through one hole.  Retain straw and offer it for sale to people that want/need straw for their adult beverages.

My dad grew up on military bases and for some reason they were common there too.  Parmalat, anyone?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, robtulipe said:

or simply lift all the triangular fold tabs and box can be flatten easily by hand without foot stomping.

The stomping refers to the fun of popping the carton causing a loud bang which we all did as kids. Probably not appropriate on the cruise ship 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Well... we use it for cereal in the morning, and coffee...  but, when we had these containers, we could lift the edge and tear into a spout

And, some adults like milk whether they have a "chocolate cookie" :roll eyes, or not.